Where are the Daytonas for sale? | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Where are the Daytonas for sale?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Smiles, Jun 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ERA

ERA Karting

Dec 21, 2015
    I was quite surprised to see this car had been restored in 2014 at great expense in a non original color (marrone) with Borrani wheels (the car was originally fitted with Cromodora wheels).
    It got the Red Book Classiche certification in 2015, which, I thought, was only granted to cars in their original colour combination.
    RM's web site indicates it has been sold after auction.

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    A Ferrari does not need to be in its original colours to get Classiche Certification. The original colours will be noted in the Classiche Red book as will the original Cromodora wheels.

Bowzer, Hawkeye and ERA like this.
  3. f1_nix

f1_nix Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    There is a yellow Daytona coming up for sale next month at the Mecum Kissimee auction. It is 14453.

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ the green w red interior just doesnt work, plus its not the orig interior.

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Don't see a green one here.......

Marcel Massini

6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
  7. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Happened to be in Boston this past weekend, and had occasion to stop-in at Copley.

While I was there, I could not resist giving this car a quick once-over:
    https://copleymotorcars.com/?showroom=1972-ferrari-365-gtb-4-daytona-coupe

I'm no show judge, but do know the differences between USA and Euro configs. If someone is looking for a Euro with the right bits on it (rather than a Euro-ized USA car), this is definitely an unusually nice car to find in the USA. As with every car, there were some nits to pick, but definitely one of the nicest Euros I've seen in many, many years of Daytona shopping...

Oh, and I have no affiliation with Copley, or the car.

Edward 96GTS and Marcel Massini like this.
  8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    agree, its a very nice example.

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    As far as or if authenticity of details or features are concern, some of the inaccuracies would be quite time & $$ consuming to correct, but if one doesn't care about judging scores, this could be worth a PPI.

10. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Like I said, I am not a show judge (and "there are nits to pick"), but I have looked at a fair number of cars, and most have bigger issues; at least to my eyes.

Any details that I missed aside (I looked at the car for maybe 15 mins), if you want to put horses on your front side reflectors and still be original, this is a much better pallet to start with than most in the USA... ;)

Edward 96GTS likes this.
  11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, I wasn't referring to "nits..." which this (like most), IMO, appears to have plenty, but more about the ...
    ... authenticity inaccuracies. ;):rolleyes:

12. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  13. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    scary, if they cant get such a simple thing right, what else is wrong

TTR and readplays like this.
  14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    A question that can (or should) pop up on lots of rebuilt/repaired/restored vintage cars.

15. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Ugh, this is what I get for violating my own policy about never talking about cars for sale; I now officially regret calling-out Copley's car, and subjecting it to all this speculation.

I'm not sure whether Smiles already found a car, but my only intent was to point out to him and other potential buyers a car that was far better than the average that I have seen over the years (and yes, that includes cars that are just being displayed at shows for judging). And this goes double-or-triple for a Euro in the USA.

Obviously, folks should do their own due diligence, get their own PPIs and bring-in their own experts. I looked at the car for maybe a grand total of 15 minutes. My post was mostly because I was surprised that the car was both a Euro, and appeared generally excellent (condition and correctness). Oh, and it is not the red that so many folks seem to have an aversion to these days.

Yes, there are some things that might get you some deductions, yes maybe the car as some issues that warrant closer examination. These are things that are true of any car that has not been awarded Plantino Coppa Bella Macchina within the last couple of years.

Regarding the rear camber, yeah, it does look pretty high (or low depending on how one looks at such things), but that seems to be a pretty common problem with Daytonas...

BJK and Edward 96GTS like this.
  16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, in all fairness and/or whether readers choose or wish to view my comments as such, but usually they are intended to suggest the above.

As for the appearance of excessive negative camber on the picture posted by BJK and commented by Howard & I, yes, on Daytonas, when properly set, it should be expected and visually noticeable, if not so severe, in the rear, but I think one could/should also expect them to be closer to equal side-to-side.
    OTOH, in this case, it could be merely an illusion created by the photography or setting of the vehicle in preparation for it and may support my long held belief of “A photo can (easily/often) lie or misrepresent more than thousand words” (or reveal more than initially intended). ;)

colombo2cam, gcalex and BJK like this.
  17. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    the 9” wide wheels seem to accentuate the angle.

18. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I really appreciate that.

I haven’t found the right car yet.

Matt

19. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    True

20. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Edward 96GTS likes this.
  21. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
  22. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, if the next owner prefers “as built” authenticity & configuration, all of it can be sorted during subsequent restoration.

23. Dino6304

Dino6304 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2020
    CT
    Full Name:
    Laurence
    I own this car and the camber on both of the rear wheels is perfectly symmetrical. I suspect that was nothing more than a photo distortion
    I have done much due diligence on this vehicle. It was first delivered and lived in central Italy until it was purchased by a collector in Ontario, Canada in 2011. Years ago a friend and I bought a ‘73 911 RS and a ‘74 BMW 3.0 CSi from Bologna and Padua Italy. Neither had any rust and had low mileage. The climate is much like CA and it is not uncommon to have lower mileage as they often take the registration off due to the very high taxes. I spoke with the service director at Ferrari of Ontario, European Autobody and Gary of Diamond Trim. This car was stripped and repainted in it’s factory color of Rosso Dino. The best news was that it was never hit and had no appreciable rust. Mileage was 35,700 km when imported and now has 39,700 km.
    It seems to be an excellent example.