Where are the new iconic designs? | FerrariChat

Where are the new iconic designs?

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by Bullfighter, Jul 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Jaguar E-Type
    Jaguar XJ6
    Porsche 911
    Aston Martin DB5-DB6
    Ferrari 246-308-328
    Lamborghini Countach
    Lotus Esprit
    Mercedes 300 SL and 230-250-280 SL

I know I’m getting up there to middle-aged plus, but these were all icons. You could identify them, from a distance, at dusk.

This isn’t just a matter of silhouette. E-Type headlamp covers; the curved haunches of the XJ6; the 911 door handles and Fuchs alloys; the unmistakable grilles (front and sides) on the Aston; the graceful scooped air intakes on the Ferrari; the ludicrously radical scissor doors on the Countach; the complete absence of curves on the Esprit. You could see a close-up photo of these features and identify the car. Pagoda roof? Could only be one car.

Have ergonomics and aerodynamics killed individuality? We see some modern ripoffs of — sorry, homages to landmark designs (new Countach; BMW Z8…)

In a way I’m at peace with this, because a 308 or original 911 have never been more striking. (I never see the original Esprit…)

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Texas Forever, anunakki and jm2 like this.
  2. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    I think a lot about this topic as well when I go to car shows; was at one with my 16-year old car nerd nephew a month ago and we came upon an original Esprit, as we got closer he had no idea what it was; I was like, "dude, SERIOUSLY? You don't know what that is??"

Then again, he was pointing out "that's the Gen 3 this" and "that's the updated that", identifying cars that I don't have a clue about.

I would say ergonomics and aero have hampered design, maybe not killed individuality - new regs and tastes have made cars huge, there's a need for pedestrian impact areas, etc. - and I do miss some design cues that were copied and emulated by makes in the past (think flying buttresses) vs the sort of stylistic copy thing going on today (think huge bucktoothed BMW grilles).

Looking back on my "car appreciation development" - I'm 47 and became car obsessed when I was about 12 I think, 7th/8th grade, so 1986 or so? - I feel like I was present for sort of...the end of a "golden age" in car design, when Ferraris and Porsches were still little, cars were analog, you could look at a car and know what make it was, etc., and design mattered A LOT, like when the Testarossa came out and it knocked everybody's socks off. Do modern cars do that today anymore? Maybe it's my age, partly, but I kinda don't really think so, not the way they used to.

And yeah, I'm also pretty ok with that, for the same reasons you mentioned.

3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Texas Forever and tritone like this.
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Absolutely! One of the top 5 or 10.

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    tritone likes this.
  6. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  7. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #8 anunakki, Aug 27, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
    There is a theory thats supported by some research, that all the best of anything creative is done at the early stages of whatever it is, but not the absolute very beginning.

Think about movies, music, video games, break them down into genres and see at what point the 'classics' came from. At the very beginning things are clunky, but then the artists find the pure forms in whatever it is, and once those are discovered, future artists have no choice but to keep trying to reinvent those forms, which will never be as good as the original purity of the early concepts.

I wish i had more time as i find the theory fascinating.

Bullfighter, JCR, jm2 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    This is also true for individual artists. I had this discussion once with Smokey Robinson. Poets, song writers, and such peak early. His thought was you are more emotional when you are younger. Love is a new experience.

Authors however typically get better. Most authors I've known can't stand their early work.

JCR, jm2 and anunakki like this.
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Jerry, this is a very interesting topic for myself.
    I like to recall what Bob Dylan said in an interview once about why he didn't record songs anymore. His answer was: ' I don't have anything left to say'

I've been doing what I do for 50+ years. Some of my family members and friends ask why I don't draw cars anymore. My response is akin to Mr. Dylan's answer. Not sure I have anything left to add to the conversation. Can I still do it? Of course. In the old analog way.
    But do I want to do it? That's another matter.

There is a group of retired designers that yearly choose a brand and design a future version. Some of these designers should have stopped years ago based on their work IMO. But if it makes them happy, have at it.

Mick Jagger said when he was younger, he couldn't imagine himself singing' I Can't Get No Satisfaction', when he would turn 60. Here he is, close to 80 and still doing it!:rolleyes:

10. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I dont believe you dont have anything left to say. Maybe in auto design, but Im sure you are being creative in other ways.

I dont really have anything left to say as far as action figures. Ive done everything i ever set out to and more in that world. But Im now developing plush/stuffies and I find it a lot of fun since its a new category that Ive never dabbled in.

jm2 likes this.
  11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    True, but he’s not writing any new tunes. True passion belongs to the young. Young, dumb, and full of cum.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

jm2 likes this.
  12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  13. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    That's because you need life experience to write. That's why there are no child prodigies in writing. Art, music, sure. Never in writing.

anunakki, jm2 and Texas Forever like this.
  14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Interesting. I’ve never thought about that way. I’m thinking you are right.

anunakki likes this.
  15. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  16. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Not my original thought either, unsurprisingly it comes from a writer (Fran Lebowitz) with a lot more life experience than me.

Texas Forever likes this.
  17. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Rewatched Ford v Ferrari today - great movie. But what really struck me was that every sports car in the film was iconic. Setting aside the obvious GT40 and Cobras, there were ‘60s Corvettes, Porsche 356s and 550A Spyder, Ferrari 275 GTB and 250 California (and P4!) I’m sure I’m missing a few.

What an awesome time to be a car enthusiast. It’s like all these marques were doing their best work. Even the humble Mustang was poised to reach its pinnacle in the space of a few years.

anunakki and Texas Forever like this.