Where are there signs of filming the new Matt Damon "Ford vs. Ferrari?" | FerrariChat

Where are there signs of filming the new Matt Damon "Ford vs. Ferrari?"

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by bitzman, Jul 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I read where the State of Calif. is gong to give at least $16 million tax credits so it sounds like a go this time with a story on Shelby helping Ford win LeMans in '66.This is the one James Mangold is directing for Chernin Entertainment that is due to be released in 2019. Christian Bale is supposed to play Ken Miles. It sounds like that character will be getting equal screen time, which I think is an elevation of Miles' real life role I don't think he was Shelby's fellow strategy advisor but was a.)race driver and b.) a test driver but not necessarily working on the big picture. Anyway if filming is supposed to start this summer (Summer has already officially started) , in California and France, so you'd think some readers of FC forums would have reported some sightings of activity such as:

-ads to rent real GT40s and Ferrari race cars of the period for close ups
    -ads recruiting vintage drivers to enter their pre-'67 cars in simulated races
    -signage going up at tracks to make them look like certain tracks in the Sixties
    -tractor trailers loaded with replica GT40s and Ferraris

Another curious thing about the film is that they have a lady cast as Miles' wife but haven't announced who will play Shelby's wife, or is she out of the picture? And which wife, of the five?

-

2. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    The movie is called LeMans '66
    I have been in contact with the people making the movie.

3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
  4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
  5. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Matt Damon cast as CS, what a sad joke.

Prancinghorse619 likes this.
  6. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    More news about locations...dated July 9th all from Film Production Weekly

New production and filming details have emerged regarding James Mangold’s upcoming and still officially untitled film about the rivalry between Ford and Ferrari during the 1966 Le Mans World Champions.

Currently going by the working title ‘Spoilers’, the true story tale follows a team of American engineers and designers, led by automotive visionary Carroll Shelby (Matt Damon) and his British driver Ken Miles (Christian Bale).

On a mission for Henry Ford II, they build an entirely new automobile from scratch with the capacity to beat long-running champ Ferrari at Le Mans. Caitriona Balfe (“Outlander”) and Noah Jupe (“A Quiet Place”) play Miles’ wife and son respectively.

Filming is reportedly slated to begin on July 30th and will wrap October 29th. Shooting will take place in California, New Orleans and Atlanta, with just over two months of the shoot taking place in and around Cali’s Kern, Orange, Santa Rosa and San Bernardino counties.

Both Jon Bernthal and Paul Sparks were previously reported as being in talks, no word as yet it that is still the case.

7. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It's a good story so hopefully they do a good job. I am not a Matt Damon fan but hopefully they do the story justice but I have a feeling it will be over embellished.

8. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ken Miles was a huge part of Shelby's operation and his death was a tremendous loss to the team. As an engineer and test driver (perhaps the best of the era), Miles was the primary force behind the success of the Cobra on track.

9. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    But some of the stories on the Fox production say they will portray Miles as co-conspirator with Shelby whereas I got the impression from many interviews of former employees that his job was more
    setting suspension settings, testing prototypes, running races as a team driver, not the type to go to Dearborn and joust with Iacocca and HF II, maybe he was much too plain spoken for that.
    By the way I talked to a former Shelby American mechanic (bloke standing on left, Rem on right) who says the filming has already started.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Alas, still no racetrack list where they will be filming, though I have a suspicion (having been at the real Shelby American factory at LAX in 1965) that the old San Bernardino Airport will double as the Shelby works (after they moved from Venice). But filming on Ford Vs.Ferrari (temporary title) has started! (And whose real or replica cars will they rent?) Anyway here's another story with all I know to date

https://www.velocetoday.com/ford-vs-ferrari-the-movie/comment-page-1/#comment-84481
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    C.Bale would have to grow a new nose to play Miles!

12. Rbwiii

Rbwiii Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    BW
    A few years ago when they were talking about making the movie, it was called "Go Like Hell" named after the book...Tom Cruise was to play Carroll Shelby...think it's a push with Damon....

13. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    It mentions that in the VeloceToday.com story. That's in 2013 when Cruise, playing Shelby, was going to do a film for release by 2015. The rumor is that he had Brad Pitt involved(and Pitt was seen testing a car on a racetrack) but there were egos involved and the project never moved forward. (Anybody know the inside story?) Also Michael Mann was supposed to do a TV series, but then went off on the idea of doing one based on Brock Yates' book about Ferrari, which has as its big subject the de Portago death years earlier than the Ford vs. Ferrari era. Instead he went off and did a series on horse racing.
    There's also a good 100-minute long documentary on the race, with lots of interviews of surviving personnel, including mechanics and drivers. It's called The 24-Hour War, and producer is Adam Carolla.
    Also I don't know why Matthew David McConaughey is being overlooked to play Shelby. After all, he's as tall as Shelby, was born in Uvalde, Texas, and has that Texan twang down pat. And. like Shelby. he can talk the birds out of the trees....

14. Scott Ales

Scott Ales Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Eustis, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Scott Ales

Looks like Savannah, Ga. will play a part in this film. Want to be an extra?

http://www.savannahnow.com/news/20180802/casting-call-matt-damon-christian-bale-need-your-help-on-their-movie-filming-in-savannah

15. RandyT

RandyT Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2016
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy T
    Last Thursday, they were filming some of the Cobra/Ken Miles racing scenes at WillowSprings, CA... which is the old GT40 testing track.

16. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    maybe they will buy the 3rd place Gt40 as it's going for sale in Monterey @ RM

17. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yup, they have Willow rented out for a number of days, tight security and a huge array of period racecars to recreate some of the race scenes.

18. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    There will be fictional drama and it won’t be historically accurate in many details. They aren’t making a documentary for Shelby or Ferrari owners, they’re making entertainment for the average movie goer and hoping to make money. They’ll take many liberties with the truth in order to make it entertaining. Needless to say, I'll see it

19. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    It is odd that no casting call for extras went out for Willow filming but then again, maybe the senes being filmed there are showing testing (the GT40s were tested there when they switched small blocks, changed noses, tried an open version, etc.) and there were hardly any spectators at those tests. We need an Fchat reader ho lives in Rosamond to give us a "heads up."

20. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Considering that Ford beat Ferrari very bad... Probably more info on the Shelby Forums! Lol!

21. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
  22. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I heard its filming at Rosemond airport north of Lancaster.

23. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Makes sense... Down the street from Willow Springs

24. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
  25. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I wonder who will play Dan Gurney and if there will be an cameos? Andretti?