where can i buy a birkin bag? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

where can i buy a birkin bag?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by osu_s2k, Apr 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Wow, prices of Birkins have gone up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    5+ years in, I wonder if the OP has made it to the top of the list yet?

3. Camp Freddie

Camp Freddie Karting

Oct 19, 2015
    London, Doha, Beirut
  4. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    #29 IloveGT, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    I also am the unfortunate learner of Hermes through my wife's obsession. First, it is harder than getting a pista back then. Buying a Lusso and you get a Pista. There is no guarantee on the bags. Yes, you are expected to have a relationship, all that means is that you have to have purchase history. The unspoken rule is to buy merchandise near 2x of the bag price. Jewelry, clothes and watches are good choices. Shoes are a bargain in terms of quality and price ratio.

As everything else, there is never a list. It all comes down to how much the sales appreciate your buying power and how long that will be. If you are "loyal" to them, they are "loyal" to you, as they say. I find it such an oxymoron and retarded thing to say. But happy wife happy life, that's why I played.

Another analogy is getting a nautilus. At least in this analogy, you still get to somehow choose what you are paying for. But in Hermes case, you don't. The sales will call you and say I have a hot pink Kelly, do you want it? Take it or leave it.

The only way you can get the bag exactly what you want is called HSS bag. Only the uber vip clients get the allocation of it. Whenever you see a two tone bag, you know it's a HSS. But then they are not that expensive to buy online either. It's the status. We are not paying for the bag but rather the status of being offered the chance to spec our bags the way we like it. In this regards, Hermes is more ridiculous than Ferrari.

Good luck playing this game. If your wife never asks for a bag, why start? Just get her some big ass diamonds and call it a day.

The regular bags dont appreciate as much as the myth makes it. The real investment is the special leather, but how much do you have to spend to get that "allocation"?

All the same, all the same. How many cars did I have to buy in the past to be offered the allocation of LaF?

5. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    #30 IloveGT, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  6. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Still less than our watches, thank god. I would be pissed. phew!

plastique999 likes this.
  7. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    this brings up a good point. Location of the stores matter on how much that amount is. I think it is still better to convince the wife into watches and I think that will work out better at the end.

8. osu_s2k

osu_s2k Karting

Jun 22, 2013
    Midwest
    Finally got one. I think we spent around 5k at independent hermes store in cleveland, and offered nice bag,,,,,,, but her sa left and current sa are clueless. We will transfer business elsewhere. Finally got a batman but bought ladies 36 mm day date yellow gold….have to play their games

IloveGT and vraa like this.
  9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    You only needed to spend $5k?
    I just got one recently as well but paid well over msrp

10. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    congrats. but what do you mean an independent Hermes store?

11. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    We have bought 3 bags in the past 9 months and still no Birkin. The gf says we have different accounts there, as the credit card has to match the person's name. I bought one a week ago and she said the card had to be in her name. We had to go home and get my AMEX that is in her name. I asked about a Birkin and she already asked about it. Hermes looks at your account and purchases and likes to see a variety of purchases such as scarves and other stuff. I told her that is stupid as a bag is way more expensive than a scarf, shoes or a key chain.

12. osu_s2k

osu_s2k Karting

Jun 22, 2013
    Midwest
    A store in cleveland, ‘cuffs’ sells new hermes but not a company store. I think its only situation like this in the US.
    My wife bought scarfs twilies bunch of crap and maybe a wallet. Could be over 5k maybe 10k but not much higher.

13. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    My wife or myself never bought anything from Hermes besides Birkin or Kelly bags, different sizes and colors.
    No kitchen stuff, no clothes (ugly), no scarves or ashtrays.
    Yet she has a collection of 6 Alligator skin bags, a few in Ostrich or Lizard and the rest in Buffalo or other ordinary skins, a total of about 30 bags at this time.
    Each and everyone of them is worth more then what we paid for them, she has sold some of her duplicates over time and got almost double the original price paid on most.

IloveGT likes this.
  14. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Seriously how do you decide the current market value is for the purpose of home insurance? I think I need to be more proactive to protect some of the stuff we recently bought with home insurance. Thanks for the advice

15. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    That’s a good gig !

absent likes this.
  16. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    My insurance is with CHUBB, once a year we do an update with the agent regarding any changes in coverage, that includes any new bags or removal from the policy of the sold ones.
    The coverage says "market value" where the claim adjustor gets 3 different quotes from independent sources and averages them.
    She has lost one bag, a 35 cm Buffalo leather Birkin (stolen from her car), she paid $9500 for when new, CHUBB paid 5 years later (after the original purchase) $16500.
    CHUBB is really the best, for cars also.

darth550 and IloveGT like this.
  17. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Chubb is really good. Expensive but really good.

18. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC

AtomicPunk88 likes this.
  19. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Converse All Star low top sneakers. I have three pair and wear them 20 out of every 21 days.