Where Did You Find Your Ferrari? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Where Did You Find Your Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by venusone, Jul 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    I found mine on Yahoo.Talked to the seller, set up a ppi. When all that checked out, went up to Chicago to see "her" in person and watched her get on the transport. Turned out the car was bought new at Shelton in Ft.Lauderdale, by a woman back in "84 who kept it for about 10-12 years, then went up to Chicago, now back to Miami.Wish I would have known Martin back then, would have saved me alot of time, but it was exciting since it is my first Ferrari.

2. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I spent about two years looking for a very low VIN # Euro 308. On my trips to the North Bay, I always dropped into Ferrari of San Francisco to see what they had. One day I stopped by, the sales manager had just taken a '77 on trade. I asked him how much. He stated he did not know what he was going to sell it for (He had it for 20 minutes!). I told him I would write him a check on the spot for what he gave the 355 buyer in trade for it. Done deal!

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    First one I got at Ferrari of Atlanta. Knew the previous owner who had traded it in on a 355 and several other people recommended the car.

Second one came from FerrariAds.com.

The third one, well, I'm still looking for the 308...

4. f355b

f355b Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Little Silver,NJ
    i didnt read all the posts but i bought my first 355 new from HR OWEN in London the second from Miller motorcars in CT i dont think i would buy from anybody except ferrari dealer.

5. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    Gave the exact specs I wanted to the local dealer, Ferrari of Washington. Took him over a year to find it but it was dead on what I wanted. What a great bunch of guys.
    I, too, would not buy from anyone except a dealer.

6. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    Actually, I went to a used car dealership to buy a Porsche. There was a 308GTB there. Ended up trying it. Loved it. Eventually bot a 328GTS. This was back in 1998. Since then been getting my Ferraris and Maseratis from word of mouth.

7. Crony

Crony Rookie

Jul 14, 2004
    Canada
    I have had several friends that have bought through this guy now. It is in Canada, but he can ship anywhere. Remember, the prices are also in Canadian dollars. About 70% off for US buyers.

http://www.exoticaronline.com/

8. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Purchased the 308 from www.olympiamotorcars.com

Purchased the TR from Martin at CavallinoMotors at www.4ferrari.com

Would highly recommend contacting Martin first when contemplating any Ferrari purchase.

9. italcarguy

italcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony Rimicci
    I was looking around on a Porsche website and stumbled across it. I think I made the right choice of getting this over a 3.2 Carrera although I'm back in the market for one ;)

10. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    What Bob isn't telling you is that he only drove it 432 miles in those 5 years! :D

I'd have to say that if you're not finding a Ferrari, something is wrong. I considered 2 before I bought mine. Found the car I now own on www.traderonline.com in California. If you're looking for a 348, I know of 2 outstanding examples in the Dallas area right now that are for sale.

11. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    found it on ebay but bought directly fromt the seller when it didn't sell.

12. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
  13. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    C'mon Jim, add a zero! :) Besides, if I only put 432 miles in 5 yrs, the gaskets and seals would have been falling out of it, right? :)

14. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    After surfing all of the internet sights and brokers for 2 months I found mine in the classified ads of the local newspaper on a Thursday afternoon. The day it printed.
    Timing.
    Private owner.

15. NOCAR

NOCAR Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    #40 NOCAR, Jul 23, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The car I finally bought was found through a fellow member of Tom Yang's board who had looked at it but bought another car. I purchased it sight unseen except for digital pics, and never personally met any of the other parties involved. I was lucky; it all worked out well and I have a great car but don't take it to mean I'd recommend buying your Ferrari that way unless you know your way around the woods (which I didn't).

I also found a good car through Hemmings online and another through Ferrari Market Letter online but they both got away before I could get hold of the $ for purchase. Both of these were for sale by very nice private owners, as was my present car.

I made serious inquiries about a dozen or so cars before finding mine. Symbolic Motors and Heritage Classics, both reputable vintage exotic dealers, were very pleasant and accomodating when I called them about advertised cars.

17. D-348

D-348 Karting

May 6, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Cochran
    I bought my first car from the dealer here in town. I called them and told them what I was looking for and the guy said he was looking right at one. I'm not the biggest fan in buying from a dealer, but it does give you peace of mind, so I bought that one.

My second car, I found on www.dupontregistry.com. They have a big selection of 348's. I was able to locate exactly what I was looking for, but it did require about 4 months of patience. If you get a car though a source like this, make sure you have the car taken to a dealer or authorized service center for a checkup. It'll cost you a few hundred, but potentially save you thousands.

18. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I looked all over the internet, including DuPont and Hemmings but found the car while talking to the general manager at Shelton Ferrari. At first I did not know that he was the GM. They were taking the car in on trade the next Monday.

19. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    Some echos, some not:

1. On the recommendation of highly regarded Fcar tech Tony Palladino in the Bay Area, I looked up nationally known broker Brandon Lawrence @ 650 558-8255. He often is asked to seek out Ferraris of specific parameters. He also contributed to the 348 buyers guide in Forza. I bought my 328 from him and, after 5 years, am still in love with this car. My main mechanic said, "if you buy and sell other Ferraris, the 328 is the one to keep." An owner of roughly 25 Ferraris told me, "I'll never sell my 328."

2. As mentioned by Dr Tax: ferrarimarketletter.com. I found my 512 BBi through this publication. I bought it from Bobileff Motorcars in San Diego. (I was not happy with Mr. Bobileff after the purchase.) I paid a heavy price after the purchase for getting a car that sat a long time but was not thoroughly scrutinized before returning to extensive use.

3. I have read unanimous praise here for Steve Harris Imports in Salt Lake City.

4. Get a PPI by disinterested party. Absence of service records is highly risky. Study up on the relevant model.

20. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
  21. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I waited a long time for one to follow me home. Since that didn’t work I searched Ferrari Market Letter and Hemmings but ultimately purchased through a dealer (WWoC).

22. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    AND WE WONT SAY WHO THE SALESMAN WAS.........YA SUE...........

23. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    I am on my 8th Ferrari, live in the Midwest, and had NO trouble in finding any Ferrari I wanted, in the Chicago area.