WHERE HAVE THE OLD F-CHATTERS GONE??? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

WHERE HAVE THE OLD F-CHATTERS GONE???

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by BWS550, Mar 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Peter was a tune town character who entered this space to vent pure hatred.

I think someone hunted him down, and left him hanging, gutted, against a tree in Fredericksburg. Twisting slowly, in the wind.

SHHAAAAAAANNEE! COME BACK SHHAAANNNE!

2. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    But I do have a pretty thick file here, marked "FCA Officers". ;)

3. AssClownChat

AssClownChat Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 13, 2004
    So what if people leave, they simply make room for new AssClowns that make this site SOOOOOOO SPECIAL !!! Step back and Think about the purpose of this site, MONEY to support Rob's new Ferrari Lifestyle and entertainment that creates volumes of traffic and hits. Without Assclowns and constant drama ie: entertainment, the hit count would drop. All one has to do is admit that this is the Jerry Springer/Days of Out Lives of the Ferrari Internet World and then it's easy to let "growing pains" take their course for the mutual enjoyment of all (assclowns).

AssClownChat

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Doesn't take a lawyer to understand that we had a clearly stated rule for posting nudity and Dave knew the rules. We don't have a clear policy for obscenities yet, but should and will. No double standard as that would require them to be the same situation.

Get over it. There have been flames since day 1 on here. We have more moderators, but it's only fair to moderate when there are clear rules and punishments for the gray areas. No one can deny some of the stuff that obviously needs to be moderated and that's about all that is being done right now.

That is fair and anything else at this point isn't.

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i was absent durring the jrv saga...what happened? did he leave or was he thrown out?

what is his site?

pcb

6. AssClownChat

AssClownChat Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 13, 2004

EXACTLY Rob, well put!

No Clear Rules makes it easy to further Dramatic effect. And without dramatic effect? Well, would thousands of new users want to visit a boring board simply filled with quality informational content? Hell no.

AssClownChat

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    He left on his own. I think it started with his love for the FCA. Maranelloman and I both contribute our time to the FCA and were on one side of the argument vs. JRV. I don't think it went anywhere because JRV only wanted to ***** about it online vs. talking it over with our region president Al DeLauro. That communication was made available to him several times.

Anyone see a trend?

JRV vs. FCA
    JRV vs. Ferrari of Houston
    JRV vs. Lamborghini Club of Texas
    JRV vs. Texas World Speedway
    JRV vs. X-employees
    JRV vs. X-customers
    JRV vs. creditors

I would be grouchy and paranoid with all of that too. When you're mad at everyone I guess it seems that everyone is out to get you. At what point do you realize that it can't be everyone else? Maybe you never figure that out.

8. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    I guess I am also one of the old timers here. Professional obligations have certainly kept me off this site in recent months. But, when I am on this site nowadays, I read more than I post.

Don't know how to quite put it....but the old site felt a bit more cozy and close than the new. Don't know why....just a feeling I have.

9. AssClownChat

AssClownChat Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 13, 2004
    Rob,

You seem bitter, forget that guy, stop living in the past, what we're interested in is dramatic effect. How is the season cliffhanger (the Rob/Dave Kiss) coming along? A few hints will suffice, to keep us on the edges of our chairs, until the script is ready for release.

AssClownChat

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Well, we couldn't raise enough funding for that script, so unless we wanted to do a Mel Gibson, then it just wasn't going to materialize. However, a script including the previous mentioned parties and JRV has been 10 times over funded now.

I personally turned down the script. Although I have plenty of free time (real job, FC, FCA, Texas SRX7, family, and triathlons only take 5 minutes a week), I just don't have any more capacity in my bank account for money. Zero expenses and millions of dollars is such a headache.

11. ART360

ART360 Guest

Rob:

The whole point is your term: clear rules. Where are they for those grey areas?

Art

12. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    So at what point does stuff like the above-quoted get too "raunchy" or "vile"...? DOes it have to get to the point where i took it or does it just have to be posted by me...? Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

13. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Listen, Jerky. I don't know whats going on over there with your dead hooker collection and your bathroom antics. Are you calling for a standard here, or just flapping your gums? :D

*tongue in cheek*

14. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Hey, that was a special circumstance...! & i have to keep changing it or else people will stop reading my posts, all together...!

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'll back you there, NNO.

Speedy"Thank a Vet"308

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    As I've repeated a hundred times we don't have them yet and never have. That's part of the problem. Only clear rules we had were for the Bikini thread and that's why Dave got dinged. Whoever agreed with Dave, doesn't respect the rules plain & simple. So even when I expand them it's not going to matter to those users anyway.

10% of the users are causing me 90% of the headaches. Art, that includes you right now. :D

17. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    ART.........TAKE IT SLOW HERE.....DONT YOU HAVE ANY $250.00 AN HOUR CLIENTS WAITING FOR YOU?? :)

BE CAREFUL OR ILL SICK TELSON ON YOU :)

BRUCE

18. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

thanks speedy 308!

pcb

19. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    I guess I'd be considered an old timer here, although I've only been participating for a bit over two years. I don't own a Ferrari and probably never will. I feel that I have a fair amount of automotive knowledge as well as having experience in the auto industry and I held a fairly high-ranking position in a race sanctioning body, so I contribute when I can.

I was drawn to Ferrari Chat by the depth and breadth of it's automotive content. I don't participate in other forums and probably never will, it's not my style. In those days we had William Hart, Chris Parr, Steve Patterson, Art Chambers and Solly participating on a regular basis. Today, Art continues to participate, Bill, Chris and Solly chime in when it makes sense, and Steve has been gone a long time.

I believe F-Chat began to change once the Off Topic area was created. It went from a Ferrari-centric site to one where anything goes. Today, we have maybe 40% serious car talk, with the rest made up of political banter, bikini threads and various forms of NNO worship.

One of the things that has fascinated me most is the ability of sites like this to create celebrities. We've had our share of Power Posters who have carved out their own niches. Most, like Matt Lemus and Maranello Dave, eventually crash and burn. NNO seems to be the exception, possibly because he seems to be a genuine enthusiast who is straightforward and honest in his approach, although he came close to crashing during his recent tirade, and I lost a lot of respect for him as a result. Lemus deserved what he got, and, while I think if I met Maranello Dave in person we'd get along fabulously, he strikes me as brilliant but rather immature.

Like any society, F-Chat is constantly evolving and we can choose to participate or not. I find it less compelling than I did previously, but I've met some great friends like Bruce and LabCars who have contributed greatly to my life, and I'm eternally grateful for that. If F-Chat continues to stray from a pure automotive focus it probably won't become the force in the Ferrari world that it could be, but I'm not sure that chat sites, by their very nature, are capable of doing that long term.

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Anytime. :)

"Gone to flowers, every one!
    When will they ever learn? When will they eeeeeeevvveeeer learn?"

Peter, Paul, and Mary

21. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i'll admit, it was probably in poor taste for what some people are accustomed to... There are some people who i offended unintentionally and i'm sorry that had to happen, but in my opinion, it still had to happen...

Thanks, Speedy...

Sunny, how dare you...! My posts should be taken very seriously as i only interject my opinion when i... sigh... Yeah, you're right, i'm just flappin' my gums... :D

22. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, Various forms of NNO worship...? That's rich... :)

i can accept the loss of respect if i know that you have a clear understanding of why i felt i had to do what i did... i'd hate to abberate from the point of Bruce's thread, so you're more than welcome to PM if you'd like... i'm always open to chat with anyone...

23. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    I understand the why it's the how I don't get.

24. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    How what...?

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Bill, thanks for your perspective. I value it greatly as you've seen it all.

The Off Topic is a lesser of two evils. Yes, we probably have more of those posts total by having a single section where it's allowed. When you have affluent, interesting, intelligent, and diverse people in a community it's hard to keep everyone ON Topic. We quickly found out it was better to allow it in it's own section vs. fighting it by the minute everywhere else.

For the users you listed...

William Hart - going through a Porsche stage right now. :( Still participates a little and when he does, everyone listens.

Chris Parr - Was never really an internet guy to begin with. Remember his introduction to FC with the floor mats and hair dresser thread? :D Chris has big duties now as one of the FCA head honchos.

Steve Patterson - Has just rediscovered FC. Left over 2 years ago when we had less than a 1,000 users because of the flames. Like I've said, nothing has gotten worse, I can even argue things are much better. That's very impressive considering 5 times as many users.

Art Chambers - Still very much around, but very much on my bad side right now! :D Just kiddin Art.

Solly - Still around, can't tell if you participation is more or less.

I think many of the old timers and "new" old timers have found their own area in FC. I ain't telling you where, you have to find it yourself. Very much the type of discussions that use to happen on GFD.

To put it nicely now, it makes me a little nervous that some of the old time users feel like they have special powers and are beyond the system. I think this is one thing that got Dave in trouble. We'll soon have more defined rules unfortunately and no one will be immune from them fortunately.

In closing, yes FerrariChat.com is different. 99% of the complaints I hear are related to growing pains and evolution though. Any community would go through the same thing if they had 5,000+ users. If there truly were any better communities out there, then FerrariChat.com wouldn't have 5,000 users and those others would have more than 50. FerrariChat.com had hundreds of users only a month or so in and everyone has seen my graphs how fast it has grown since. That didn't happen by accident folks.