Where in Houston do you go for state inspections? | FerrariChat

Where in Houston do you go for state inspections?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by timwu12, Aug 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    I recently relocated from South Carolina to Texas and need to register my car.

Can anyone recommend a place in Houston where you guys take your F cars for state inspection?

I currently live by the Med Center and the only places I've seen while driving around that do state inspection are gas stations and I'm a bit hesitant to take my car there.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Will Ferrari of Houston do it? To my knowledge, all they do is attach your car to an ODBII reader...T

3. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    there are tons of places to do it in H. They will let you drive the car to check breaks and horn, etc. 99% of them will be afraid to get in and drive. Pick a place near you and be firm and say you want to drive and he/she can ride next to you to check and witness. good luck.

4. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    I called and left a message, haven't heard back but some of the posts here say FoH doesn't perform inspections but they'll facilitate the car to be taken somewhere that does it for them for the shop labor rate of 1hr + inspection cost.

This is good to know as I took our Cayenne Turbo, our daily driver, to a place nearby, not knowing what the inspection entailed and the inspector took it out on the streets and logged 2 miles on the odometer to "test the brakes".

5. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    2 miles is BS. Most drive around the building. Insist on driving.

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That's too bad. How old is your F-car? I thought only older cars (1995 and before?!?) needed to be driven, the newer ones just some codes read off the ODBII?
    T

7. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    So, I called FoH back, turns out they do inspections so I got an appointment 2.5 weeks out bc they're that slammed

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Once they do inspection, you can go on-line and renew your state regi. Then you get a receipt that you can print out, while you wait the ~ 5 - 10 biz days for real window sticker to show up.
    A few days later, you will get something in email, which you can also print, showing you paid, and the sticker is in the mail. All can be tracked online here.
    http://www.txdmv.gov/track
    T
    p.s. Welcome to Texas!

9. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Thanks, Tom!

10. goachild2000

goachild2000 Karting
    BANNED

Jul 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Shardul Mehta
    Motorwerks of Houston
    Ask for Travis. Mention my name Shardul and they will allow you to drive you car into the inspection bay and perform the state inspection.

timwu12 likes this.
  11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I use the Mobile Station at Ella and West 18th. 77008

As Alara Garage, (and formerly, Sphere) were down the street, they are fine on exotics.
    They do all my cars, the 1977 Ferrari among them.

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    To elaborate, as you said Register', the Inspection is indeed the first step.

There used to be a Form to Register an out of state vehicle.
    I mention only because our "standard" inspection is now paperless, once registered.
    Don;t know if they still use the "Blue Form" or maybe it was green?? :D :D

It registers with TxDot then you head to the Tax Office (downtown is easiest, IMO) to get your tags, and complete registration (Sales tax, if a new purchase)..

HTH

13. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Thanks, Bubba!

I ended up taking my car to FoH last Friday but failed the inspection due to a few readiness monitors not setting and showing ready. I've driven hundreds of miles over the weekend, done the drive cycle procedures about 5 times and it still isn't setting!