Where is the best place to fit a radio in a 275GTB? | FerrariChat

Where is the best place to fit a radio in a 275GTB?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 275GTB, Jun 26, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Hi,
    has anyone figured out the best place to fit a standard classic radio in a 275GTB?
    If you fix it to the centre of the dash, just below the row of switches it blocks the door on the heater matrix. It also makes the lower part of the dash sag over time as there is no strength there.

Any help or pictures greatly appreciated!

cheers Mark

2. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Hi Mark,

Highly recommend NOT to install any radio.....speakers are even worse...
    I never saw a good fitted radio in a 275 GTB, but hey, thats me....

Ciao
    Oscar

3. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    #3 Vintage V12, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
    Forget the radio.

First thing I did was removed the radio...... I find music too distracting driving this car. These cars are kinda "busy", and you need to pay attention to what is going on.

just my opinion.

(texted from my iphone while driving a 275gtb :))

4. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    I hear you guys, think the sound of the engine will be music enough!

I was just curious as the car had a radio when i bought it, and i hated the way it looked.

5. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Three years ago I drove my employers supercharged Mustang to Italy via Germany and the car had a Corsa exhaust. Not boomy. And I put 6000 miles on it, and never once missed the radio.

The only cars that would have sounded better inside without a radio would be your Ferrari and my 911 !!

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Your desk drawer is the best place for a radio in a 275GTB

Brian Brown

7. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I think it is fine to fit a radio (correct for period only!!) if the car originally had one. You just shouldn't turn it on. My GTC has a correct radio but I've never switched it on, not even driving in the pouring rain for 11 hours and sitting in traffic jams.

The 275's in Keith Bluemel's book have the radio in the main section of the dash.

Onno

8. whatspeedlimit?

whatspeedlimit? Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2007
    Denver, Colorado
  9. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Was at a car show in Stone last night and a local lad showed up with his long nose, 2 cam, silver GTB, and it had no radio. And the car sounded great !!

10. Carbonero

Carbonero Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2009
    Troll Free Zone
    Full Name:
    Bill
    TOTAL agreement!

11. loudvette

loudvette Karting

Sep 28, 2004
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    David
    I recently had to drive my Daytona 2200 miles to nationals. Yes a radio was nice, but one the stock radio has Euro bands and i did not have any 8-track tapes. Whats this have to do with a 275, well i did install a secret audio receiver in the car. Gave me radio, and ipod, + i could rip it out where no one knew where it was. You can easly hide one in your 275 and slip a few speaker under the dash for your personal use.

Dave

12. evoderby

evoderby Rookie

Nov 10, 2006
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Harald
    I'd go for no radio, without a proper head unit, amps and high end speakers (not to mention dynamatting the entire car) sound quality is going to be pretty poor. In that respect the McIntosh is a great start, both in looks and sound.....

....however fitting amps, tweeters, mids and subs in a 275 would be sacrilege. Therefore the only reason I'd (might) fit a radio in a classic would be to have integrated SatNav and decent enough small speakers (Focal 10 or 13 Coax) to listen to the news and the occasional song when polishing the bodywork;-)

In this respect this might be just the thing:

http://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/classic/news/classicnews/?pool=uk&id=2010-11-04-classic

Of course you'd need to spend some time to erase the P word and stencil F in place.

13. whatspeedlimit?

whatspeedlimit? Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2007
    Denver, Colorado

I LOVE that head unit for the 911! Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available in the states. I wonder if there's a way to make it work...

14. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    I hate to disagree with such an acknowledged expert as Brian on this one but he's flat out wrong (as is Carbonero) for that matter.
    Best place is right rear of trunk (left rear for RHD cars), in original unopened box, secured. You may place additional weight/ballast there as well- as long as you don't get carried away. Through this placement, you will bring the F/R and L/R weight distribution of the car a little bit closer to 50/50.

15. jaticker

jaticker Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    tampa
    Full Name:
    John Annis
    #15 jaticker, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In 1967 I purchased a new 4 Cam at the factory. I was young and had to have a radio. Ferrari installed a housing that fit over the "driveshaft" tunnel. I think the speakers were in the doors. It was a long time ago. It looked like it belonged. A few years ago I was invited to England to visit the same car. It had been a ground up restoration and was better than the day I picked it up. It didn't have the radio box. I've never seen another one all these years.
    Just for fun enclosed a photo of the big day in 1967. You can see too much of me and too little of the blue 275 GTB/4.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login