Where oh where have all the early 90s Diablos gone? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Where oh where have all the early 90s Diablos gone?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Bradwilliams, Jan 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    So right.
    @bradwillimas: dream on.
    Early RWD Diablos are the next big thing. And they deserve it if they are unmolested, original, no accident and maintained. The next best Thing in period to a F40.
    Go and find a good one!

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I totally agree. I have never driven a 91 or 92 but my 98 sv is simply one of the best cars I own. It's a thrill to drive and a pleasure to own. Absolutely love everything about the car.

3. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    They are cool,but had a lot of shortcomings as del from factory, needs att to be driven hard on a reg basis,once sorted ,they are fine, at least mine was.01 a completely different world, fantastic driver,but not the raw primitve(iloabw) feel of the 91,wich got lots of quirqy home made strange prod issues, door hinges locks water drain in to doors rust in tronk floors,horrible int quality,list goes on , i have seen better Countach kit cars,but a good fix here and there helps,never gives you a good quality feeling, imho Countach is a better car,

4. ijvpet

ijvpet Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2002
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    John P
    If build quality is what you are looking for, v12 Lamborghinis older than the 6.0 will all have short comings.

The idea is to buy one, take it apart and put it back together. A diablo can be reliable, old school but still modern enough to hold its own at any car show. It can be driven hard, washed and put back in the garage.

A diablo CAN hold its head high next to an F40, any Porsche, etc...

How many car shows have I gone to where there were 2 F40's, 8 Aventadors (including 2 SV's, 3 Countach's, etc...

Out of all the V12 Lambos I own, it is my favorite.
    Diablo will always causes a stir.

5. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    All very good points,like the idea of take apart,put together, beeing its a very simple Basic car,great oportunity to tweak and modify whatever it is you dont like, not trying to say i was looking for superb build quality,but some items in my early car was downright horrible, and just sloppy, other than that,very cool, Bobileff is advertising a 92, 150 k, Mecum got a 91 coming up on This Friday Kissimi.Fla

6. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    #31 roytoy2003, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

And I have this ONLY 2 owner in excellent condition 1991... AND you wont have to pay Auction house fee's!!

Special price of $140K DELIVERED anywhere int he lower 48 to an F Chat member.

1991 Lamborghini Diablo Lynnwood WA 16108148
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #32 Sledge4.2, Jan 11, 2017
  8. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    There you go.

9. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I lost a quarter, had a hard time finding it...

10. ijvpet

ijvpet Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2002
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    John P
    Reminds me of days gone by...... hahahaha.

11. slownrusty

slownrusty Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    Laughing...

12. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    91 Diablo Mecum ,high bid 130k,not sold

13. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    cant find details on the web

14. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    #39 Jalpa_Mike, Jan 12, 2017
  15. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    That sure is minthy fresh

16. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    Check Prices in Europe. No 91 Diablos under 180k EUR. IF any can be found. That is what the market says... (of course we do not know what they finally sell, but 40% below asking is unrealistic.)

But this discussion is anyway missing one Thing: These cars had been staning in the early/mid 2000 years. Pretty complicated to put them back on the road.
    So you guys must clearly distinguish between shiny Trailer queen and a readily prepared car.
    I would rate anytime a ready, sorted, working Diablo at 170k plus. And it is worth it.

17. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Different markets have different prices. Some countries levy expensive importation taxes on automobile transactions. At times, the tax may be more money than the price for a new-build car ;).

18. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    All I know is that Roy needs to sell that red one because I can't stop looking at it

19. randomlambo

randomlambo Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    That's a great price for a seller...

Unfortunately not sure if the yellow, red, etc. colors look good on the early Diablos? I'm thinking black, dark blue, dark grey?

20. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    Offers always considered....

21. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    I disagree with you. He has at least 1200 in shipping the car there, another 2K in auction entry fees, then 10% seller fee so he nets $110K or so...car is WORTH way more then $130K all day long

22. randomlambo

randomlambo Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    I'm sorry -- I'm an idiot; I meant to say a great potential price for a buyer - of course it did not meet reserve and it didn't sell but that range for a low mileage car is very interesting (as a buyer).

23. slownrusty

slownrusty Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    I would like to chime in.

I've owned my '91 for a 2 years, ownership has been great. I looked for almost one year and eventually bought one out of the LA area, the car was previously owned for 7ish years before my purchase (I am the 3rd owner). The car was maintained and a customer of Franco's European in the Burbank area, believe it or not I cold called Franco just to ask him if he had a customer that was ready to pass along their Diablo..it worked out.

In fact I cold called every well known Lamborghini indy shop around the country including Evans and there were none at the time, so kept trolling the internet and calling until I found my car through Franco. It took me about 6 months to find my car.

My car has 17k miles on it, and is red on tan. Franco did a thorough PPI which revealed a weeping water pump. At the same I had him change all the fluids, new plugs and a fresh battery. The chain tensioners were changed / upgraded some years ago.

I spent $350 to fly out, spend the full day with the car and Franco to look over the car from bumper to bumper and it was well worth it and perform a PPI.

Mechanically I find these cars well put together and fairly straight forward to work on at home, everything is just a little bigger. I've upgrade all the brakes (front and rear) to the larger Brembo GT kit and also 18" Murci Speedline Corse wheels, I also rebuilt the e-brakes calipers at home and of course flushed the hydraulics at the time.

This year I plan to have the struts rebuilt and re-freshened ($2500) and fix a few things here and there, but nothing major.

I drive the car once per month and it is awesome, the car has great power and incredible presence that (I feel) the Murci or Aventador struggle to match. My car has an aftermarket exhaust that Franco built and supposedly both ECUs were re-programmed, the orchestra from 4k to 7k is unbelievable.

24. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Sounds like you bought a good one. Steve, George and Franco... are there others?

Let's see some pictures

25. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Well, ehh, Roy and Gary , got 2 cars ready to go , priced very right.