Where to bring the car for service... | FerrariChat

Where to bring the car for service...

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by F355Berlinetta, Jun 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ok, I need to get a few minor issues looked at and I would like some advice regarding where to bring the F355 for service. Looks like my only options are LFSC or Continental. I called Continental being the closest and I felt I was burdening their service dept. I'm flexible in which day I can drop the car off, except I would like a courtesy car. Continental suggested a local rental car place, but I feel this is unnecessary being the so-called upscale dealership they are. I tried for the evening and the service dept closes at 7pm so that didn't fit my schedule. Then I figured I'll bring the car in on Sat. morning, but the service dept is closed on Sat. I pretty sure the car will need the SD1 computer or else I'd just call FVM and at least they would come pick the car up in an enclosed trailor and drop it off for me when they're done. How are your experiences with LFSC? Feel free to PM me if you would rather suggest in private.

Thank you!

2. theo-m

theo-m Rookie

Dec 26, 2003
    Try AutoSprint on Addison in Chicago. I think they are on the 5000 west block. They advertise in Forza for a phone number. Giovanni is a great guy with a fair labor rate. He services several local cars of all vintage. Lake Forest is ok as well. Continental should be a last resort. Scott is one of the most arrogant !!!!!!!!!!! I have ever met. I do not know how he maintains his job. Gary is not much better. John should wake up and quickly double his business. I think Scott forgets who is paying the bill and keeping him employed. I bought a new 355 from them five years past. Never again!

3. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Randy, and the techs (Mark, Tod etc.) are the cohesion that brings customers to the backroom at Continental.

Yes, I know what you mean about Scott; but Gary, no way!

Maybe you just need to get to know these guys better?

Giovanni......nice guy, but in some areas he'll grossly overcharge you. And , he uses Continental as his tech support!

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You could take it to my place downtown: European Auto, 773-348 5440

But you won't get a loaner car.

5. Farmers Agent

Farmers Agent Karting

May 24, 2004
    Giovanni is my guy. He has always been fair. Tell Giovanni you heard about him from the chat. He is a mechanic not a parts changer as some folks are. The chat is a great source of info. you are off to a good start. Good luck.

6. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I've had excellent experiences with service at both dealerships; Aston/Ferrari service at LFSC and Ferrari/Maserati service at Continental. Scott and Gary at Continental, and Drexel and Lee at LFSC, are all customer-oriented people who have gone the extra yard for me in the past.

7. Thank you for your responses!!! I would have been happy with an enclosed transport if I was given the option.

8. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Been dealing with Continental now for a while. Scott and Gary are great, but yes, i can see where they may come across as arrogant, but they still bend over backwards for you...

Last may i went to the FCA track event at Gingerman, Scott and a few other guys from Continental where there, i had a minor issue with my car and they helped out nicely...

I would recomend Continental, yes, there hours aren't the greatest and they don't have loaner cars, but thats the same for the Ford and Pontiac dealer too... They did give me a ride home when i dropped my car off and they offer to diliver my car to my house in an enclosed trailer if i couldn't get out there to get it....

9. Maybe I was overreacting. To be honest with you, this is my first non-Japanese car. I've always got loaners from Toyota, Lexus, and Acura.
    Putting a Ferrari dealership a step higher was the wrong assumption.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I thought that was the reason why Ferrari dealers sell Masers: Hand them out as loaners...
    :)

11. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    Scott and Gary at Continental treated me well for my recent major. Was expensive though, but everything seems to have been done very well.

12. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I rarely have Continental service my cars, as Ed usually does the work.

Last year, I did have Continental do some work and Gary offered me a loaner.

Maybe it's because I've been dealing with them, parts etc., for close to 30 years.

13. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank

Andreas. You are BRUTAL,Man!!! :)

I've had good experiences with Both Continental AND LFSC. Both were very nice,not arrogant in any way,and got the job done quickly.And,reasonably,IMHO.

Personally,I would probably use Continental,as they are just minutes from my Home.

BUT...After seeing the new Shop at LFSC....Hmmmm.......VERY NICE.....Vey Nice,indeed!

14. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    After a year of ownership, my car is back at LFSC for the 3rd time (3 unrelated issues).
    They are really great guys.... I'm a regular guy with a lousy 308 (not the guy with the beautiful Daytona, or Dino, or.....) and they seem very honest. My last service.... almost $1K, Lee eyeballed the bill as I was pulling out the credit card, and he realized that I was overcharged by $60. (Like I would have noticed!). He then adjusted the bill.
    I have a previous post stating how much I like these guys.... see my emmissions nightmare post as well

I met Giovonni at the last FCA event. He drives a 512TR, so I'm guessing he is not cheap.

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I just realized why they're actually not handing out Masers as loaners: By the time you return them, they have lost half their value.
    :)

16. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank

OUCHHH!!!! (But,True!!! :( )

17. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    I must be one of the few people who actually likes this car. And despite the fact that one blew up on me for no reason ( clutch problem, ) I thought it was a lot of fun. I agree it does take a hit once it leaves the lot, but not nearly as bad as a Lotus as a friend of mine who used to collect them told me it dropped nearly 50K after he bought a new one. Another Titanic is the earlier Viper which can be found now for just about 30K. I hope when Ferrari and Maser go to similar engines, ( won't the new Maser Spyder and Ferrari 360 replacement use the same v8 or 10? ) Maser builds a car that is in the same league as the DB9 or Vanquish. I think they are very brave to go into the 4 door market agaisnt proven E55s and the soon to be released M5s.

Im too young to be involved with the F1 rivalry between Maser and Ferrari and the joke of a car that was produced in late 80s and 90s, but is this a reason for a bias? I just look as it is today: Maser is Ferrari's baby car. Luca is driving the will behind this company, it's checks are signed by Fiat, hey even Schumi has a blue and tan Spyder.

RocketBoy

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm just goofing off. I was unhappy at last year's Oak Street event where Masers took the rare spots away from Ferraris and even won trophies. The FCA fixed that and at Monroe street later last year and this year's Oak Street there was plenty of room for Ferraris and nobody had to be turned away because a Maser took his place.

And to be honest: I got really close to buying a Maser myself recently. Comments from my mechanic made me stop though...

And who knows, maybe the future will bring some benefit to Ferraris through the means of Masers if they start sharing parts and even engines.

19. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I was seriously looking at a Merak a few years ago,and,same thing. Mechanics told me to Stay Away. So,I did.