Where to buy UFI oil filters? Still available? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Where to buy UFI oil filters? Still available?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by bpu699, Mar 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you would be pretty welcome

but please send a message before that I have time for you

so near rust/herbolzheim?

2. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Exactly. Ettenheim

Best
    Martin

3. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #53 ozziindaus, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
  5. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    Regarding the UFI 00 oil filter.
    Aside from the leaks,drips and seeps was this filter discontinued for the Testarossa application for other reasons?

I did read about the bottom of the seal channel having spotwelds and yes, that could contribute to the seepage. The 02 also has spotwelds and with a thicker reinforcing or wall thickness.
    The filter I took off mine when doing the major was an 02, however the damned thing was was on that tight I did some serious deforming of the outer dia to get it off. I have never come across that in a canister filter before, the seal was really distended it was no longer an oblong cross section.
    Hence my continuation of this thread by asking what other peoples experiences have been with the 02 filter fitting, sealing and how tight.

I currently have a 00 I bought off Ebay way back, and I have fitted it with the 'D' facing up and tightened it twice from the initial instructions (hand tight) I have also fitted it with the old 02 seal in the channel .... all 3 observations have rewarded me with a drip every 3 secs while the car is running.

So, I again reiterate- was it replaced for other reasons than oil dripping as that can be fixed IMO, and in consideration of the 02 beginning to resemble Hens Teeth one must work with what one has got.

If one looks at history of the V12 up until the boxer; all V12's had 2x filters I am assuming that is from the volume pumped by the Colombo(they were Baldwin I believe) Then the boxer was fitted with a single filter by UFI as it is a 180 deg V12 layout. Along came TR and we then move to the 02 UFI somewhere along that line.

Now this greenhorn does not know the reasons and ramifications prompting the change, however he has bought a significant amount of merchandise from China through Alibaba, and looked at the website offering UFI 00 filters as well as a sizeable and diverse range of other UFI filters made by them under license/contract to...UFI? but no 02 Hmmm!
    This company also manufactures stainless steel 02micron mesh filters for technology applications way more complex than filtering engine oil(defence?) so their cred has had the T's and I's checked out.... so where are the 02's getting made if the significant range made by a China Company for them and other Globally recognized Co's (Rexroth, John Deere)This is not a knock off operation scamming SKF bearings.

If there is no real reason why the 00 filter was made obsolete by Ferrari and replaced with the 02 which is now a harder to find commodity. I would be inclined to purchase a minimum order and develop a way to stop the leaks.

Opinions? or a cat amongst the pidgions?
    Pete K
    Perth WA

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what please is/are/means T`s and I`s?

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I haven't had any leakage trouble either with 00 (and the D-ring flipped over with the curved side against the engine) or 02 and both hand tightened as much as possible. Perhaps the flange on your engine is scored/damaged? Haven't seen anything with an official F/UFI explanation, but IMO the big benefit of the 02 is that the seal groove is deeper = 1) harder for the oil pressure to push the seal out sideways, and 2) as the (rectangular) 02 seal is compressed, it expands sideways and seals on the sides of the groove (in addition to the bottom of the groove).

Hadn't heard that 02s were hard to get nor that 00s have made a comeback. I've still got a couple of the 02s for sale if you want one:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferrari-parts-collectibles/481639-four-tr-ufi-oil-filters-23-192-02-a.html

(maybe I should raise the price? ;))

8. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    this makes me somehow wonder. my 00 filters always came out of the box with the curved side of the D-ring visible, say with the curved side towards the engine.
    I allow to add, that a significant flaw of the 01 was also the base, which could deform under oil pressure, lift and allow the D-ring to pop out.
    And like you already mentioned somewhere, the welding spots under the sealing area. But this is what I dislike on Baldwins as well.

Best Regards
    Martin

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #59 samsaprunoff, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day Pete,

Just a FYI...Boxers also have two oil filters... (Part 100325)

Cheers,

Sam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I install these filters regularly on my own as well as client cars. I have not once ever even seen oil residue around the seal.

11. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I only experienced it once with one single Baldwin filter, that it developed a tiny leak. But then I looked under the seal and saw, that there are welding spots, just like on that infamous UFI series.

Best
    Martin

12. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    Could anyone suggest a sauce that goes well with Crow?

A bit back I outlined some issues with leaks from a UFI 00 filter, a consistent drip(that's the clue)was falling whilst the engine ran; the upshot being I was not enthusiastic to drive it far.
    Chatting with Fred(Cheif20123) about his small leaks and he mentioned he was going to recheck the oil pressure sensor unit.
    It came to mind I that may not have checked that area with the engine running, under I went and Lo! the clouds parted and a voice of thunder did saith " Yae shalt thou eat Crow for not checking or thinking as thou shouldested"

Nary a leak had been coming from the filter all along, just needed to think outside the box. The car has now done over 200mls and is behaving impeccably!

Cheers
    Pete K
    Perth WA

13. Chief20123

Chief20123 Karting

Dec 22, 2012
    Melbourne,Australia
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Pete, good to hear that it is fixed. No more leaks down there after I tightened the Oil Pressure sender...

14. grngts

grngts Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Bob
    For what it is worth I came across a company I had hot heard about before, AW Italian, in New Jersey, while looking for another part. They have UFI filter 23162 02 for $21.50. I use Baldwin.

Ferrari 191993 Oil Filter (was 111782)