Where to go after 458? | FerrariChat

Where to go after 458?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Evo X, Nov 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Evo X

Evo X Karting

Jun 16, 2018
    Chicago
    I’ve had my 458 for almost 2 and a half years now and enjoyed every minute of it.

It was my first Ferrari and a childhood goal to get one before turning 30. Made some great memories, had some epic drives, but my friend is buying it from me in a couple of days. I didn’t have it up for sale, but he couldn’t find a spec like it and made me a fair offer to take it off my hands. It wasn’t getting driven as much lately because I got back into motorcycles and picked up a new 718 GT4 as well.

For those that sold their 458s, where did you go and why? I’ve driven 488 and F8, and while they are incredibly capable, they don’t get the hairs in the back of my neck standing up.

812 SuperFast to experience one of Ferraris legendary V12s? Or a different brand altogether?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bundy, Mikael-F360, Simon1965 and 5 others like this.
  2. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    yes, only Ferrari v12 can help subdue the itch. f12 is really great. My 718 spyder PDK is coming in Jan too!!

gds7368 likes this.
  3. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Nice pics of a very fine 458.

Interesting question which comes down to some of your key criteria, so I'll just throw a few ideas/comments out there:

- What does the GT4 do for you in terms of driving feel and buzz? Depending on your thoughts, maybe a 991.2 GT3? Need to be careful with spec, as its way more hardcore than the 458 and the latest gen GT4. I got out of my one for the F8 and the gap in usability is massive.

- GT type V12's and v8's (812, AMG GT), do you like the long bonnet rear seated driving feel, or prefer over the front axle? For me this was a consideration, I never liked my AMG GT driving position and while I loved the 812, the F8 was exactly what I wanted in terms of visibility and driving position.

Must be a hard move from a 458 - TG I never had your problem :D

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Great spec on the 458. I understand the need to try something new. But I bought four 458’s to learn I needed to keep one in the stable.
    Depends what you prioritize.
    Cheap and fast is the F8. The hot kid is the 765lt/720s but more expensive new.
    718 is an interesting idea!
    C8 sounds poor, and the performance is midrange, but nice price?!?
    Super fun is the Lambo Evo with speed and noise and show/go.
    812/F12? I have yet to drive one. Respected guys here love them.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Pista if you want a more serious and way more powerful 458 type experience.

812 if you want an insane NA V12 experience.

Others- what others? :)

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The short answer is there is no where to go.

I sold my 458 and bought a 488. A lot of people love the 488, but clearly they have no taste in cars haha. All kidding aside, yeah, it's hard to replicate what the 458 brings to the table and I sincerely doubt a 488, a Pista or an F8 is going to blow your skirt up much.

Myself, I think you are going to find, like some of the rest of us already have, that it's going to boil down to either getting another 458 or venturing out into V12 land. I have driven the 812 Superfast and I immediately felt that, yes, this could excite me as much as the 458. On that same front, I am going to look into the F12, as I think it's more of the 458 era and could actually end up more enjoyable to own than an 812, assuming you don't mind driving a car that might be capable of biting you back to some degree (which is fine with me).

The only other thing I can say is that, if you are looking for a little more refinement / luxury, you might consider test driving the V12 Lusso. I know it's maybe not the most sexy Ferrari ever drawn, but it's one heck of a great car to drive. It's very sure footed and powerful and it's a lot of fun. I guess the best way I could explain the Lusso is if a 458 and a V12 AMG Mercedes had a baby, then there'd be a strong possibility that that baby would be much like the V12 Lusso.

Good luck on your search and also on the sale of your car - which you will probably always regret selling.

Ray

Bundy, MrAwilson, nero corsa and 2 others like this.
  7. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I drove a 488 and an F8 before I got my 458 and I knew immediately what you are talking about when you say the hair didn’t stand up for you.

I love everything about the 458 and If you simplify people on this site and put them into “performance seekers” and “emotion seekers” then you need to find out where you are or if you have changed your mind. Is it the 2 wheeler that makes you quicker and more nimble that you desire? Is it the emotion of a less powerful 718 that gets your blood up?

I could care less about the numbers and I am a proud 458 apologist just because of the feel of it.

Find out if your joy comes more from the heart or more from the head - and then get behind the wheel of something that seems to fit and give it a try. You will know right away when you find her.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Cue the 488 crazies to the thread...

Mighty Joe, IloveGT and RayJohns like this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You do like the Jeffersons, you move on up.

If the F8 and 488 does not do it for you, then try the 812 SF. It's like if a Lusso and Pista had an evil child. Brilliantly capable and equally savage at the same time.

Caeruleus11, ntatfas and IloveGT like this.
  10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Who would stir the pot around here if we don't do it? :)

Ray

Need4Spd likes this.
  11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    So performance is not directly related to emotion? Interesting concept.

I think it is very silly to state that a 488 or F8 owner does not have the same attachment to his or her car as a 458 owner. I could actually go as far as saying that your statement is pretty darn insulting. But answer me this then. Are you not capable of enjoying the 488 or F8 because you're too detached as a driver and owner from your sports car, to actually properly connect with it? Interesting theory, isn't it?

Mighty Joe, Coincid and Senshi458 like this.
  12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    A Dodge Hellcat has 800 HP - thus it offers plenty of performance - but would I enjoy driving or owning it like I did my 458?

Nooooooo

Ray

timjen88 and DOWORKFCAR like this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What does that have to do with any of this?

14. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Isn't performance directly related to emotion?

Ray

timjen88 likes this.
  15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You said you think it's silly people aren't attached to the 488 like they are the 458. Why aren't they attached to the Dodge hellcat? It has more HP than either doesn't it.

I think it's insulting that you don't own a Hellcat Co-Pilota :-D

Ray

timjen88 likes this.
  16. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Not trying to insult anyone. Was just trying to simplify things into categories of people who seem to be more happy with the performance of their car versus other “intangible” qualities.

Without a doubt you will agree that many have said the 488 outperforms the 458 in many categories and that is a very common argument about why they prefer the 488.

So I am trying to help the OP raise the question for himself of what he is looking for in a car.

I made no statement about a car owner’s attachment to their car. Your attachment is defined by what is important to you.

Put the guns away and enjoy your car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The 488 out performs the 458 by a little. However, in my view, the overall driving experience of the 458 is a 10, while the overall experience of the 488 is more like a 7. It's okay, but not amazing. There are just too many things about the 488 that take away from enjoying being in it for me.

If he's a die-hard 458 lover, like Dustman and I are, then he's going to have a difficult time finding his next Ferrari I think :)

Ray

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  18. PB033

PB033 Karting

Dec 13, 2019
    Switzerland
    How about a Pista or a Speciale? If you like the 458 Italia, you'll love the Speciale

Sent from my BBF100-6 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SoftwareDrone, David246GT and tomc like this.
  19. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The Speciale is definitely an option, so long as you don't mind driving more of a race car on the street.

If anyone wants to lend me the keys to their 488 Pista for the weekend, I'm happy to chime in with my views on it and buy them some coffee :)

Ray

20. Big A

Big A Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Australia
    I was in the same position about 2 years ago. Loved my 458 and was my first exotic, but wanted something new. I thought the 812 was it. After driving the 812 it didn’t live up to my expectation. Was really disappointed because I really wanted the 812 to be a V12 version of the 458. Don’t get me wrong the 812 is a fantastic car but it just didn’t deliver the same excitement that the 458 did.
    The closest I found and have right now is the Huracan Performante. Go drive one.

Coincid, epah, alibo70 and 2 others like this.
  21. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    I find these threads so interesting, as the folks over on the 430/360 board never seem to have these souffle's....like the OP, my current (F430 Spider) was my first Ferrari, and while I look over the fence at the 458 spider all of the time, while 12 years old, every time I drive that darn thing I get out with the biggest grin on my face, and make my wife swear to me that she will never let me sell it (lest I bang my head). I have a 2019 AMG E63s which is stupid fast, and comfortable, so for the weekend fun, the F430, in all of its analog splendor, fits the bill for me. Sounds like the OP should reneg on his sale, keep the 458, and buy a more fun DD that makes him smile

Graz likes this.
  22. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I wonder what you'd think of the F12? Have you ever had the chance to drive one? I haven't yet, but in my research, I have to wonder if it might be more appealing to 458 lovers than the 812.

Ray

Big A likes this.
  23. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    yes, you and socal. lol

RayJohns likes this.
  24. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Exactly. Now let's all get back to talking about how the 458 is f-ing awesome and only rich people who have never changed their own oil love the 488 GTB

haha :)

Ray

Mighty Joe likes this.
  25. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    stooopid, haha

RayJohns likes this.