Where To Invest In Houston Real Estate Right Now | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Where To Invest In Houston Real Estate Right Now

Discussion in 'Texas' started by F355 Fan 82, Jan 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Ross did you see the home i posted above in bellaire? That seems really cheap consider the lot is 8775 vs 5000 for most in west u. The location is great in bellaire inside the loop a few seconds from west u, why is bellaire so much less than west u bc I really always considered them on par with each other.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    we just bought a 3 floor Townhouse like you describe. They should all have elevator shafts. Ours just closets, but about half on the block do have the elevator and would just cost $20k for us to install.

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Hope ur father recovers soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    that place you list is too close to braeswood is my guess as to why it is lesser cost.
    that general area got flooded in harvey and possibly before that.

bellaire has areas that are nice, and areas that are less nice - the distinction and reasons depend on who you speak to.
    whereas west u has only good and more good places, so the average is higher.

btw, forgot to mention i would not buy anything downtown. thought about it, almost signed, and then took a weekend to think about it, and realized that downtown is a wasteland on the weekend. tumbleweeds and homeless people is all you see.

5. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the heights is patchy. you have to go look around yourself and see what is happening in order to know if a place is priced and located right.

the west gray area i live in now is basically just south of the heights, somewhat less dangerous, more upscale, and has a more sophisticated vs hip vibe. (i am not talking about deepest darkest montrose here, i am talking about western montrose which borders river oaks). you might like it.

Texas Forever and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  6. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Thanks for the input

7. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Has she sold and actually cleared 2x? How many times has her or her guest’s vehicles been broken in to?

8. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    she has not sold, and i am just taking her word for it......
    she has not been broken into, and her car (a mini) has not been stolen.
    so her experience belies my bias.....but i am still not moving there !

9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    We loved garden oaks.... but do homework on crime rates. Have to be on your toes... and have big dog and fire arm. Gl

10. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    That bad huh? Well the lots do look bigger there so there is that

11. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    F355- It’s nestled in some challenged areas and not gated. So the foot bike car traffic and easy access in out to 610 make 5 finger discount easy.

If you pick a dead end street it can work.... but still a lot of nefarious activity 24-7.

Family riding bikes at 6 pm gets held up at gun point for cell phones...

People posing as utility workers rob homes in daylight.... ditch access allow the high number of bums to shop in your garage... etc,... use downtown New Orleans sec awareness.

I’m in gated hill country San Antonio now... and the contrast is significant on the sec aspect.

We do miss the access to the city that garden oaks provided though... and many good rest in that part of town.

BigTex, Texas Forever and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  12. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Also need to mention sec issues aside... we saw a strong value inc for the short time we owned in go per our buy sell figures.

Do your due diligence on the hoa in go. They are going through bankruptcy from legal action in which they lost against a resident over a 3 car garage. Burned most of the kitty in this pursuit.

13. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I don't live there but my grandparents have since 1946, so I have been going to their house the last 44 years. The nicer areas of Bellaire do have larger lots, and homebuilders have been tearing down the older houses and building nice new ones. The trip to the med center is easy. The flood research is pretty straight forward, most of the nicer areas are not affected, or the new housing has been raised to compensate. I think you would get more house versus West U or the Heights, but I am not sure of the upside down the road.

JCR and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    1. Most of it is outside the loop.

2. You don't have to go far before Bellaire turns into a third-world country.

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  15. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Keep in mind most of the Heights is dry. Also the Heights have boomed and busted many times over. There were times when the Heights had a worse rep than EDO does now.

16. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Beautiful home! I wish in the Bay Area we had this! Probably 2 million there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My listing in Forest West just went into the Option Period on Sunday. Cheaper than Garden Oaks, but not far from it. And while the area is sketchy looking (to some), the neighborhood is really quiet and well kept. Most of the homeowners seem to have lived there from 20-40 years. And some of the kids are taking over their parents homes.

18. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    agreed shepherd oaks was right next to us, and homes from 50/60's........ many orig owners...... nice quiet neighborhood. alot of potential.

some GO homes are from 40's..... alot of history.... just be ready for 'city living' from a crime perspective. can be done with a good bit of due diligence, and a big dog, alarm, and gun ;)

19. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Just out of curiosity, where is Forest West? We had a house in Oak Forest (on Saxon St.) years ago before moving to Austin. Is Forest West essentially the continuation of Oak Forest, but on the West side of White Oak Bayou? I'm following this thread with interest as a former Houstonian and fan of the Garden Oaks/Oak Forest/Heights areas.

Thanks,

2cam

20. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I've lived in Bellaire since 2011. Just inside the loop. Love love love it. But, we have kids in a nearby private school, so it works for us.

Before that, we had a townhouse next to Memorial Park. If we didn't have kids, we would still be there, or we would have bought a cool place in the Heights. Owned the townhouse from 2004-2011, rented it out for a year after, sold in 2012, and tripled our money.

To me, the most important thing is that you're inside the loop on the west side. It's OK to go a bit outside the loop (i.e. Tanglewood), but don't go too far if you can afford not to.

VAF84, Texas Forever and willwork04 like this.
  21. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    This library is right outside the neighborhood. 290/Pinemont-Bingle.

Collier Regional Library
    6200 Pinemont Dr, Houston, TX 77092

22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Another area to consider is west Memorial. There are some unbelievably cool homes in this area. You”ll need a realtor to find them, but generally focus on the Piney Point area. Biggest problem is traffic. A lot of people and small roads. But if you can avoid rush hour, it ain’t bad.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You would have to see the flood maps of Bellaire, it went "under' in Ike, and Harvey...there's still a lot of older tear downs there, too..
    I notice the new homes have to be cement up to the first three feet, or a crawls space, where the older ones were slab on grade...

The Main Drag thru the Heights is 19th Street, trendy shops, etc.

24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Careful on the first listing, by the time you reach Airline that's not The Heights, IMO.

That second listing off of Ella is my neighborhood, Timbergrove…..nice older homes most updated and pricey now, as that listing shows...that was a modest home, before they built Disneyland in the back yard...….

25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    2cam,

Garden Oaks/Oak Forest is on fire for the large lots, tons of new construction there....they call it The GOOF....LOL!

My ex got taxed right off of her property there, but she was tired of mowing the acreage....