Where To Invest In Houston Real Estate Right Now | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Where To Invest In Houston Real Estate Right Now

Discussion in 'Texas' started by F355 Fan 82, Jan 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Any luck on your search?

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    What part of town did you buy in?

3. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Heights off Yale. I love it. Easy access to downtown. Great restaurants and watering holes within walking distance. 2 HEBs going in within a mile.

4. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Nice! We had a house just a couple of blocks West of Yale (Ashland) on 23rd Street. It was a bit rougher when we lived there, but we really enjoyed it. Easy walk over to the shops on 19th St and at the time, the Fiesta on Shepherd. We only spent a couple of years there before moving over to Oak Forest.

one4torque and Texas Forever like this.
  5. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    You were in Sunset Heights. Not cheap and ghetto anymore. The Fiesta is now a brand new 2 story HEB that opened 2 days ago. There really isn't anything left to gentrify in the Heights. It's all moved to Garden Oaks and Oak Forest. Many of the used car dealers on Shepherd have moved north. A residential tower is in the early stages at 15th and Shepherd.

6. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Wow! That's crazy about the Fiesta! Our place on 23rd was a nice little 1300 square foot craftsman that we purchased for $89K in 1996. It was our first house. My parents thought we were crazy for paying that much money for a house in the Heights. We sold it a year and a half later for $130K when we moved to Oak Forest. As a car-crazed teenager, my friends and I loved checking out all of the used car places on Shepherd and Durham. Apparently I need to make trips to Houston more often to keep up with all of the changes in that area!

7. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    $500k or more now.

https://www.neighborhoods.com/sunset-heights-houston-tx

8. JimC

JimC Karting

Jul 11, 2002
    HK / Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    How about buy a condo at 2520 Robinhood and invest the rest of the money; you will be in West U with plenty leftover.

If you look in the 800K+ range townhomes in 77019, some will have elevators and close to 3000 sf.

Heights to West U can take some time.

Btw, there are quite a few who’s who that lives in 2727 Kirby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    How is 2727, I'm heading to downtown in a bit

Heights, EaDo, and tons of other areas are hot for investing right now; me personally, I'm a renter. Too many deals on all the new high rises

10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The Deer Park fire is an excellent example of why you don't want to live in East Houston, or south of Beltway 8 for that matter. Air quality routinely sucks.

Ryan S. likes this.
  11. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Still interested in the 2727, maybe someone can give me a showing? I just want safe parking and fast ass gigabit speeds

Ryan S. likes this.
  12. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Quite a bit of the Heights used to be a dump. Even Heights Blvd.

My dad purchased a warehouse (he still occupies the building) in the Heights - 6 1/2 ST and Studewood. He paid 100K for the building in about 1976. o/t - My father is not leaving ten cents, for any of his children :D. ( He did not end up with another woman and or family ). Fortunately, he will leave quite a few solid assets, for all of the grand-kids.

The sad part was the 40 unit apartment complex just across the street, with an asking price just over 600K, in the early 1980's. They did not need any financing. His business was just across the street. This was a missed opportunity and managing the apartment could not have been difficult with the location across the street. Buying real estate in the Heights during the Jimmy Carter years = $$$$$$$. The apartment complex was a dump at the time, but the residents paid cash each week. Today, it is a row of upscale yuppie town-homes just north of 6th St.

The neighborhood changed for the better.

13. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I am looking to buy some R.E. and I have registered with the foreclosure auctions. It's a tremendous amount of work to research the locations. Looking for homes in or around 150 - 200K.

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That was a famous story, HOA gone amuck!!

OP come party at the Cottonwood with me, it's an interesting 'hood.
    Big roll over in the Types of home that are going in. It's boomed built on annual value increase, but don't know if that ship has sailed.

15. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    We ended up staying with my parents, while we were searching for a home, my dad was officially put on the transplant list may 13 and the next day he got his lung and dad's transplant recovery went alot better than I was expecting, he left the hospital after 3 weeks and I was really under the impression he wouldn't be back to normal for quite some time and I would have to be helping him around the house. Turns out, the hospital doesn't let you leave until you are able to do things on your own, go up and down stairs,etc. He did his lung transplant may 14, mind you he's 70, and he is 100% back to normal now, better than I've seen him in a decade. I actually took him to work friday morning, against doctors orders bc he's been so bored at home since early june, he's not really the type to sit down and watch tv all day. So now my wife is 26 weeks pregnant, we're going to hang around, let my parents enjoy the grandkids for a few months and then we're headed back home. The home search is off bc we initially thought we would be here a couple years, now its looking more like 1 year so the pool house is fine for that.

He did a stent in february and they cant put you on the transplant list officially until 3 months post stent, the stent was required by the board overseeing his transplant approval. Never in my life did I think he'd get his lung in 1 day, but sometimes it works that way, hospital said its pure luck, either way our timeframe for staying in town shrank a lot. We got here late march and i was anticipating at least 6-12 months before he got his lung, but it was very rapid.

Ryan S., one4torque, ross and 4 others like this.
  16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's wonderful news, even though you won't be "buying in" this time!!

Great news on your family as well!!

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  17. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Congratulations on your dad's wonderful progress! That's fantastic!

2cam

18. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Great news on your dad! Congrats on the twins!

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  19. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    XOM, at a 15 year low. The Houston housing market must have enough hot air to fill a few extra balloons.

Ryan S. and Texas Forever like this.