HOU - Where to live in Houston - 20 something professional | FerrariChat

HOU Where to live in Houston - 20 something professional

Discussion in 'Texas' started by jimpo1, Apr 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    My oldest kid is moving to Houston in June to start a new job and his girlfriend is coming with him. He'll be 24 in July. His office is at The Galleria and she'll be working in the medical field, TBD. He's never been to Houston except for the interview. He wants to live "downtown" but doesn't know the area. He'd like to be around young professionals rather than family's and grandparents and he'd like to be able to walk or short Uber to bars & restaurants. Budget in ~$1500/mo range for rent. He'll have about a 24 hour time frame to shop when he goes down there in a few weeks. Highrise living appeals to him but he's concerned about getting in the wrong building. Good example:

https://www.har.com/1701-hermann-drive-7b/sale_55658168

Amazing view, cool floorplan, could make the budget work with the deals they're offering, but looks like the residents might not fit his desired demographic.

Thoughts on locations? A particular zip code? Border streets?

2. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

#2 VAF84, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    I was about his age when I moved to Houston from Austin (about 10 years ago). I stayed in the Midtown area (roughly south of Gray st., between Bagby St. and Main st., North of around Alabama St.) From what I can tell it's still central to all the things a young professional would want. Within 10 minutes (w/o traffic) you have access to Eado, Downtown, Buffalo Bayou, Montrose, Museum District, and Rice areas. He'd also be driving against traffic to the Galleria, and she'd have an easy drive (or even rail ride) to the medical center. If I was them, I'd start there for a year until they get a feel for the city. That area is mostly mid-rises though (ex. https://www.har.com/s/6a0DCcdF9 ).

Galleria, is nice but not as walkable. I also feel like once you cross Kirby (headed west) the age group's age increases. Montrose is great, but harder to get onto major highways, prone to flooding, and not as many condo options. Rice Military/Washington Corridor potentially has what he's looking for, but again I think it's more out of the way for the areas they want to be in.Basically on the north side of the areas they're looking for, rather than the center.

I'm still in those areas fairly frequently, but not full time. Maybe someone else can chime in, in case my experience is a bit dated.

If the views are a must, then I feel you're mostly stuck with Downtown, Galleria/Uptown, or Medical Center. I just don't think you'll find something similar to Dallas yet. When I visited the downtown there, it felt like I could actually do everything I needed downtown.

Rest easy though, the city has A LOT to offer. Houston has become a world class cosmopolitan city, and most areas "inside the loop", particularly the southwest, have a lot to offer.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    Montrose didn’t flood in Harvey and is the very walkable. Can get a nice apartment for 1500 and the desired demographics are there.

4. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Agree with above. Mid-town for a year -- get a feel for where you want to go from there. That is where most young professionals move to during mid-twenties. I am in the heights and love it (33). But it is an older crowd and for what he can afford is a little out of touch with what he wants.

5. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    Midtown. Close to the rail line for the girlfriend as employee parking in the medical center is extremely difficult.

6. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Go online and look at The Morgan Group. They build and operate higher end apartments all over the city. I have done work for them and can tell you that most residents fit the same mold so they will be among people like themselves demographically. Plus they will have something that fits his budget.

7. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    That's a good tip, thank you!

8. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    My daughter lived in the Rice Village area for 7 years and loved it. Walking distance to a ton of good restaurants, close to the medical district, and not far from the Galleria.

2cam and Texas Forever like this.
  9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I would echo all the Midtown suggestions. The main thing with Houston is to live INSIDE the loop. Traffic is bad all over town. But crossing the loop during rush hour is a female dog.

willwork04 likes this.
  10. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    I dread the day I have to move outside of the loop:(

VAF84 and Texas Forever like this.
  11. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
  12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Ah Simba, but you know you will. The force outside the Loop is strong. It is stronger than you or anybody else.

VAF84 likes this.
  13. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I was basing it an my experience with my Cayman S around Menil park (St. Thomas University) a few years ago. Got stuck in a thunderstorm and ended up parked on the center crest of the street as the water rose because the intersection was flooded up to my knees. Couldn’t go forwards or backwards. This was around 2013.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    this is the right answer

15. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    this is also a good answer, but more expensive than mid town.

VAF84 and DIGMAN52 like this.
  16. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    look into the hanover buildings - i know the owner and he frequently hosts events at one of the properties and they are really first class.

17. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Noo!!!! But you are correct. The fiancee started sending me houses the other day. I didn't know we were house shopping. :confused::(:)

VAF84 and Texas Forever like this.
  18. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    Midtown. Then when you grow up you move down the water.

19. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Huh! Lookie there, you’ve texted me this question 3 times, I keep texting you the same answer and tell you to quit worrying about it.....low and behold you ask it AGAIN and get the exact same answers I’ve been giving you!
    They’re going to be fine, quit stressing Jim.
    :)

20. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    And he’s going to be miserable in the beginning because all of his dad’s Ferrari buddies will be checking on him all the time and reporting back. Poor kid won’t have any peace or privacy.

21. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Dave, get off the sauce.

I texted you about jobs and cars, not places to live. :p

22. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Would you like me to post screen grabs of our texts showing that your above statement might not be accurate?

I’m having ribeyes at the ranch tonight, want to come down?

23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The Heights is where the action is, my daughter is at 11th and Shepherd, new bars every week, hipsters hanging at Derby Parties...

Garden Oaks/Oak Forest to buy, but the trains is leaving the station.

Anywhere along Washington Avenue would be fine too, or along Memorial Drive adjacent to the Golf Course.
    10 minutes to the Galleria (where Scott offices)

Be glad to host them into some social evenings Amanda's 26 now, Scott owns a home by the Horse Track ,at 29.

24. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Isn't the Heights dry? I remember hearing some hipsters saying they were moving to the Heights from Montrose because it didn't have any bars.

25. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    The Heights was dry, but that was overturned a couple of elections ago. Now it's full steam ahead with new bars. But they're different than the Midtown or Washington avenue scene. More laid-back with a higher demographic. You're more likely to see a dog on a patio than a bro with his cap on backwards.