Where to shop (for a 612) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Where to shop (for a 612)

Discussion in '612/599' started by Diny, Oct 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ZDF_Fan

ZDF_Fan Karting

Oct 29, 2013
    Kuwait
    As an owner of a manual 612 I fully understand and support your decision :) I was very lucky to stumble onto mine - wasn't actively looking at the time, but when the opportunity came, I had to jump on it. It's a very special car and I don't see myself selling anytime soon. The visceral driving experience and the joy of driving it keeps me reaching for the keys more often than not.

Best of luck with your search!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

G. Pepper likes this.
  2. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    Crazy talk time: Can a manual transmission conversion be done? Surely it may affect the value of the car but for those of us who would keep the car forever, it may be worth it.

3. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    There is a 360 F1 to manual conversion kit, so I'm sure it's technically possible.

4. ZDF_Fan

ZDF_Fan Karting

Oct 29, 2013
    Kuwait
    There have been a few discussions and I believe even an attempt on a 599 (search the forum - can't seem to find it right now). While the bulk of the core parts are shared across the F1 and manual cars you're still looking at $30k+ parts plus labor etc... From what I understand the main hurdle is the ECU.

All in all you're probably better off shopping for a manual car and paying the premium than going through the cost and headache.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

G. Pepper likes this.
  5. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Set up a search at cargurus and look at any emails they send you. cars.com and autotrader probably have the same set up.

I missed the car I was looking for last Friday AM (different car) because I was busy screwed around until Sat AM.
    It will still be there.. right ?
    Wrong.

I bought my GT2 the same way.
    Called first thing, deposit over the phone and work out the details later.
    That same car it had offers on it all day.
    They were hoping the deal would fall through so they could bump the price.

6. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    There are efforts to to convert F1 to MT for a fraction of the premium on an original. Also, you should try an F1 612 (preferably HGTS or OTO) and see if it is acceptable.

In terms of where to look - California (USA) is best. If looking in Florida, make sure you carefully check for any flood damage.

Good luck.

Cmall1 likes this.
  7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The F1-Manual conversion has definitely been done-- in fact, if you search, you can find a thread about it on this website. Whether it makes sense or not is a different question.

8. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Diny - Yesterday I checked cars.com and they had 29 612s of which 3 or 4 were OTO (081/2 & 09) cars. A few 07/08 non OTO cars if you don't want the glass roof and the rest were earlier gen 1 cars only t MT which was the Miller car. Way over priced IMO but then it is the only MT car currently available. The OTO cars were mainly black exterior but gen 1 cars had many color variations. I have also found that CarGurus.com often has a little different selection of cars. Back when I was looking, I also went to several dealer sites for the larger dealers and occasionally found a car not listed elsewhere. Good luck hunting. :)

9. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
  10. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    Thanks! I'm taking my time, and I need to sell 2 cars first. I am not opposed to a black exterior car. I hadn't seen a 612 in a while so I made a stop at the Ferrari service center. They had an F40 and an F50. Typicall "oooh" and "ahhhhs" ensued. However, upon seeing two 612s parked side by side, I lost it. One red and one blue.

How does the glass roof work? Does it vary in opacity? I may be more interested in the transmission of a OTO over the glass roof though.

Cmall1 likes this.
  11. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    $200k for that car is nuts. With a salvage title it will never have any collectable value, and while I love driving a stick, you could buy a F1 612 and a manual 360 for that price. Seems more like a $80k car to me.

12. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I have to agree with you on the "nuts". The value of a salvage car is only to the initial buyer who expects to hold on to the care "forever". So why should any salvage title sell for any premium. The premium would seem to be reflective of a car that is or will be collectible which as you state will never happen to a salvage title unless it is a very, very limited and/or desirable edition. IMO the car is worth way less than any driver quality 612 and $80k seems way too much. I am thinking $50-$60k would seem a more rational number which is at the very low end of what 612s are advertised. I believe there have been some sales at this price level as well.

But that said value is in the eyes of the beholder, it only takes one to think this car is a good deal. It is difficult with flood damaged cars as you never really know what you are getting. Water related problems may arise in the future which were never addressed originally. Not sure even a good PPI can really address flood damage.

13. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy

The glass roof has three adjustments from light to fairly dark but not opaque. The round metal adjust knob is on the consul between the front seats.

I haven’t driven one of the Gen 1 cars with the earlier F1 transmissions but I am told that it was not nearly as good especially in “automatic” mode in traffic. Also the new trans. is quite a bit quicker than the prior edition.

For the prices that 612s are now selling I would give the OTO (mfg. after mid 2008 and later) a serious look, the Bluetooth and back up camera are both good editions as is the HGT2 package. You can tell the OTO 2008 cars imediately by the roof and the red controls on the stearing wheel. The OTO cars have newer technology but there is nothing intuitive or user friendly about the Boise - Phone/Radio/IPod/GPS/Backup camera control system but just by using it often you get the hang of it. The system in my Panamera Turbo S is way easier and intuitive but then it is much newer technology.

Diny likes this.
  14. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    Thanks for the info. That black manual 612 is quite special; in a separate picture of its gallery it seems to have morphed into a 575!

15. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    Cmall1 likes this.
  16. Striker200

Striker200 Rookie

Feb 17, 2016
    New York
  17. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    It's still listed for sale on their website and on cargurus, though.

18. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    325k for a 612 is nuts. i wld never.

19. Capt Ron

Capt Ron Karting

Sep 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Ron
  20. Striker200

Striker200 Rookie

Feb 17, 2016
    New York
    That’s a different one. The one that sold two months ago had 19K miles on it.