Where's Preston Henn's 275/GTB/C? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Where's Preston Henn's 275/GTB/C?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by NYC Fred, Jan 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Would be curious to know also. That's an important car and honestly shouldn't be hidden away.

"That is an important artifact and it belongs in a museum" ( anybody remember Indiana Jones and the Last Cursade?)

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yep. Preston certainly wasn’t selfish with it.

3. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Anything that lets the people who loves these objects interact with them has to be good

tbakowsky likes this.
  4. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    2nd semester recently began - back to school?

5. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    Must have insured it with Allstate. It's in good hands.

19633500GT likes this.
  6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #106 TTR, Feb 14, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
    Good to know, but no need to elaborate, especially on interwebs. ;)
    Privacy matters.

Rifledriver likes this.
  7. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Good hands? Like the same good hands that have been caring for the car for years now?

Terra likes this.
  8. kane00

kane00 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Tenny, yes, I'm parking the SE30 in the new student section, hopefully you will park the F40 next to it so I don't get door dings!
    Doing a doc series on some IMSA stuff and this car is part of it. - Keith

Tenney likes this.
  9. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    Should be on a race track and not in a museum.

Lusso123 and Nembo1777 like this.
  10. kane00

kane00 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Lol. You’re kidding. Not unless an insurance company would cover the entire value. You’re going to put the most valuable car in the world on a race track. Sure.

11. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    Of course. That is where it belongs. The idea is not to hit anything. If you can afford this car, then you can afford to fix it, just don't burn it down to the ground. If you don't drive it , you don't deserve it. Go buy a model if you want to look at it.

12. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I am in your camp and believe cars are to be driven – That being said I have several friends that I respect who own great vintage car collections where driving them is not paramount . They are passionate caretakers who love and obsess about their toys. They spend countless hours with their cars. After being friends with them for years I realize they get just as much pleasure from the cars they own as I do just in a different way. Who am I to judge or criticize?

13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    While I’ve always been advocating the use of any and all (road going) vintage cars in a manner they were built and intended for, I’m a little bit on the fence when it comes to cars purely intended for racing.
    I can appreciate their use in some vintage events, etc, but in my mind they are just historical artifacts which had a brief time and place in it, which ended when they became uncompetitive.
    What’s even worse, is when these old “war horses” get severe technical modernization’s and upgrades to try keep them “competitive”(?) or “winning”(?) in some vintage exhibition events, i.e. “pretend” races.
    I mean, if someone with vintage race car(s) claims being a true custodian/guardian of “history”, they should have enough sense to keep the car(s) mechanically/technically exactly as they were during their “active career” (safety related improvements obviously notwithstanding).

turbo-joe and lgs like this.
  14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Truth is driving old bangers any distances cost money. These are old, old, cars. Stuff happens.

1monza, Rifledriver and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.
  15. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    You can only ever control your own driving. Even on the track with classic racing where drivers can be suspended and/ or expelled drivers own red mist can cause all manner of carnage. Even Goodwood in the UK has moved to racing replicas to avoid permanent damage to irreplaceable objects. As for road driving I have spent a lot of time on slow moving steam trains and nothing worse than those who follow anything (be it trains, the tour de france or classic cars) and just have to get the shot/ video and forget all about road rules, lets just do a no indication stop on a busy state highway to get that perfect video! No easy answer to what you do with something as rare as a car like this

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #116 Rifledriver, Feb 16, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    Many old race cars were pretty fragile when new. Mercedes with all their magnesium parts and witches brew fuels are one example. In many cases I am just happy to see and hear them run.

I was at Laguna Seca when they put a rod through the block in a W154. I think it was Joel Fins car. One of the Mercedes museum mechanics was looking at it and clearly curious. In my broken German I told him what happened. He had a very long face. W154 blocks (I think it was a mag block) don't grow on trees.

17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #117 Rifledriver, Feb 16, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    An interesting view of this on the part of the manufacturers. When AUDI brought an Auto Union pre war car to Monterey Phil Hil was set to drive. The museum curator was there giving Hill instructions. Hill was warming the car up in preparation of a few parade laps. He didn't like how Hil was running up the RPM a little to warm it. He reached in and physically pulled Hills leg up and foot off the accelerator and ordered him out of the car. The curator drove it himself. He did about 2 five minute laps.

A couple of years later when Mercedes brought a W196 for Hill to drive Hill asked Mercedes for instructions and limitations they said "The redline is marked, don't exceed it. If it breaks, we hand made it, we can hand fix it."

I was there on a Thursday with no one around on another year and at the end of the day Mercedes rolled a W125 out to the hot pits and warmed it up. A Chevy sedan showed up and an old German guy looking very infirm walking with a cane gout out, put on a fabric helmet and was helped into the car. He revved the engine, side stepped the clutch and went down the pit lane at full throttle sideways. That old German ripped off 2 or 3 laps driving like a wild man. When he came back we found out as I recall that it was Herman Lang.

18. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I TOTALLY DISAGREE!
    Go ahead, ask me why.

BIRA and Texas Forever like this.
  19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Why? :D

20. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Here’s the right attitude:

At Goodwood….

Interviewer: Nick, aren’t you concerned about crashing your £12M car? (His GTO. This was more than ten years ago).

Mason: Well, they don’t cost £12M to fix.

A few years later at Members’ Meeting I watched him take a front corner off of his McLaren F1LM….on a demonstration run.

NYC Fred, amenasce, Lusso123 and 2 others like this.
  21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Some time in the 80's or 90's Fangio demoed one of his former 50's F1 cars at Donington Park circuit in the UK.
    He was coming onto the pit straight in a beautiful slide every lap and a true racing history fan on pit wall was absolutely loving it: Mario Andretti.

He was also one of the event guest stars and decades earlier, before emigrating to the new world, had seen Fangio, Ascari etc race at Monza.

22. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    It’s an opinion that isn’t necessarily universally shared….

23. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    That’s Bobbo. He’s put about 200k on his 330 GTC. Drives it to Lows, grocers, model airplane events, well, just about everywhere. He’s a driver….

Texas Forever and NYC Fred like this.
  24. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Was that the Gunnar Nilsson memorial race in 79? pretty sure Fangio was there, last race of Hunt my hero before retiring, I was about 11, fantastic day with the Procars as well.

25. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Not sure but could well be and Mario would certainly have attended that.

375+ likes this.