Where's the Daytona Spyder from "The Long Goodbye"? | FerrariChat

Where's the Daytona Spyder from "The Long Goodbye"?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by davemqv, Apr 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Sorry if a thread exists on this - I looked but couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know what became of the 365 GTS/4 Daytona Spyder that appears in the 1973 Robert Altman movie "The Long Goodbye", driven by the character Terry Lennox?

The car was white/off white/pale yellow? Only appears in night scenes so hard to tell.

Just wondering who owns it now and what it looks like today. This was early on so I'm assuming it's an actual GTS/4 factory spyder? So I'm guessing it must be accounted for somewhere.

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #2 of2worlds, May 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The spyder looks like a 1971 USA car. Possibly 14389 a California car that was offered for sale some time ago>
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    recently restored to original specs in calif.

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It IS 14389, originally Giallo Dino 20-Y-348.

Marcel Massini

5. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Was the nose originally painted silver or did that happen after delivery? Beautiful car!

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I loved the book. I couldn't sit through the first ten minutes of the movie. The nail-biting Eliot Gould feeds his cat scene.

Now that I know there's a Ferrari involved, I'll give it another go.

Matt

7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    silver nose is factory. difficult to paint after delivery as the headlight buckets need to be removed to be done correctly.
    a lot of silver noses where painted body color immediately as owners did not appreciate the look.

8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #8 of2worlds, May 2, 2016
    I always thought Ferrari was trying with the silver paint on the nose to mimic the look of the plexi covered headlights on euro models. That silver was part of the transition to USA spec along with bumper and emissions modifications. The silver paint only lasted through 1971 before it disappeared from production.

Thanks yet again to Marcel; for confirming the serial number 14389 and paint specification. The first 14383 and the eight spyder both featured the silver nose paint originally. 14383 also has the original cardboard box that was shipped in the trunk with the car...
    14389 also appears to have had the original orange/white lens replaced with the solid orange version to.

9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #9 of2worlds, May 2, 2016
  10. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That's it! Man, Fantasy Junction gets hold of all the cool cars.

What a beautiful colour for a Daytona. I might have to rethink my "Blu Scuro or Nero only" policy for those cars. :)

Thanks! And thanks Marcel for confirming. So it's still in CA somewhere? I'd love to see it in person someday.

11. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Excuse me if I am wrong CH, but I thought the orange/ white lens was only original to a Euro market Daytona?

12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Well at least for USA delivery # 14383 it clearly has the half orange turn signal. That is a very original car with perhaps only a repaint when Ed owned it to make the car perfect. Sometimes I think Ferrari simply put on whatever they had on hand on that particular day. The steering wheels with no holes or two holes in those three spokes are another area where you can find exceptions to the accepted standard. Period pictures do tend to confirm originality; however parts can be swapped early on for any number of reasons including owner preference or simple damage...