Where's the Engine? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Where's the Engine?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by silver1331, May 28, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    #101 365GTC/4, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
    Not really. It just has to look identical. How many people can push an Enzo to even 90% of it's capability? Not many. So a replicar (sic) just has to look "reaL" and do say 100 mph. Enough to fool people. Look at knock off watches. The good ones are perfect. Just don't get the gold ones because the gold they use makes your wrist go blue/green !! However the platinum ones look absolutely real. I have a few real watches and some fakes and the fakes are really really really good AND they cost say $60 if you know where to go but the real one costs $10,000. It is incredible what they can do. I bet they could make an Enzo for less than $75k. How many wannabees in China and in the USA would fork out $75k for an Enzo ? Of course in the USA Ferrari SpA might have a few words to say but in China and Russia for that matter????
    John

2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    In that reverse engineering was mentioned I assumed it would be rather more sophisticated than your typical Fiero based nightmare. Hence the assumed price tag.

3. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gives it to. - Dorothy Parker.

4. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    ...Ferrari themselves beat them to it with the Cali 2+.

5. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    One of my favorites.
    If it weren't for schadenfreude I'd have no freude at all.

6. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Those are all keepers in England.

7. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Great quote. I think God may have a perverse sense of humor in that if he wants to see someone unravel themselves, he just gives them a bunch of money. If he wants to really watch them go to hell, he just gives them a taste for money. Pun intended.

George

8. M Solo

M Solo Rookie

Oct 10, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    So did someone on here rescue it?

9. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    YOU should know of what "quality" f.e. the original Pistons of Maranello are. An Engine put together with parts of this "quality" is - sorry - rubbish. Interesting is only the free choice of the Engine-Number - to create a "new" matching-number-car.

btw, she´s gone for enough money to be saved. I hope so.

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Er, they built the original engines so I can't see the difference ... or is this another example of people hotting up original motors so these old cars are now faster than they ever would have been.

All a bit rediculous, Ferrari won Le Mans and many other races back in the day with pistons made in Maranello ...
    Pete

11. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    With all this talk about the newly made engines being no good, I'd like to see some motivation of the reasons why, and some concrete examples. I would imagine that re-creating a 250 engine of any description could be made better today, as we have access to much better materials as well as better machinery to produce them with.

A new engine could also be built to the client's specific needs, i.e. big valve heads, high compression pistons etc from the start, without the need to re-engineer a stock street engine to race spec if that is the intended use.

12. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Stop imagining

THEY DO NOT WORK!!!

13. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Does anyone know who ended up with the body?

14. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Tom,
    can you elaborate on this. Do you mean they literally do not run? If that is what you are saying can you provide a story, please.

George

15. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    #115 xs10shl, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
    I guess this is mostly true for the 250, and to a lesser extent, 275 engines. I would imagine later type engines will remain inexpensive in comparison.

In hearing about the issues with the repro 250 engines, it makes me better understand that buying any 250-powered car with a rebuildable engine for $60K represents great value. buying one with a fresh motor for $90K represents great value as well. If the factory were able do deliver a great engine block and heads for something like $50K, things may be different.

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Silly comment Tom. They will eventually, as nothing that was made in the past cannot be remade now.

Heck if I had a 250 engine in my shed I could replicate it ...
    Pete

17. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    spot on Pete,at the end of a day its only a air pump.

18. sumlin

sumlin Karting

Jan 12, 2009
    Last time I checked, the car in question is in the USA.

19. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
  20. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    But is the car the engine going to be used for also in the USA?

If it is, then same theory applies just that unfortunately one American is also taking his/her racing too seriously.
    Pete

22. sumlin

sumlin Karting

Jan 12, 2009
    I know what you're saying Pete but one look at the (very good) 250PF registry will show you most of the "deceased" cars were cut up for vanity reasons, recreating other more "desirable" Ferraris from scratch as opposed to keeping racers running. Both suck IMO I should add.

23. sumlin

sumlin Karting

Jan 12, 2009
  24. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    How do you know that? The cars ripped apart for spares don't very often reappear anywhere...

Best wishes, Kare

25. sumlin

sumlin Karting

Jan 12, 2009
    By looking at the 250PF register as I said. In there you have a whole cornucopia of ****ty receations that have never and will never see the track. I'm sure it's the same for GTEs, 330 2+2s and so on. I see what you mean though in that all the missing cars could well have been broken for spares.