Which 308 do you get??? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Which 308 do you get???

Discussion in '308/328' started by etip, Apr 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I bought a 77 carb GTB last week for a couple of reasons. I love the look of the car, you can't beat the value - $30K for a real Ferrari with less than 15,000 miles (correctly serviced), and the carb cars just flat out sound better!

I won't drive it much, probably only to FCA weekend drives, but it's a shape that I just love to stare at.

2. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Hey,
    I just realized this thread was active again. Thanks again for all the info.

3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Same here. My fiberglass GTB has been tracked and has no stress cracks. Credit the fine tubular frame chassis.

Barry

4. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    I also have a 308i, which I bought new in 1981, and have never had a problem with. Taking all the smog BS off the car made a big difference. It's fast enough for me to get into trouble with. My 2 cents!

5. seschroeder

seschroeder Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Steve Schroeder
    Last evening on Speed TV "Barrett-Jackson Car Search" did their examination of the Ferrari 308's. Nothing new of course and really quite rundamental. Thay recommend the 308 QV. THen they were trying to buy a GT4 for 16,000 to 18,000 - to be continued next week. I suspect any car purchased at one of their auction would be nice but way over priced.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Stay away from auctions! FCA Newsletter has a glass 308GTB Co Springs.

They are out there!!

7. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    1984 or 1985

8. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    FML has quite a few glass cars also... One has several mods done to it already.... it was about $36K I think.

9. atheyg

atheyg Guest

It would be nice to say I want this year,color,int etc, but once you get throught the story cars,no records,accidents,rust,poor paint, etc. you dont have that great of a selection, I wouldn't limit myself to just one series they all have advantages and drawbacks, find the right car and keep it.

And you guys are right about the tube frames, very robust and strong, unlike the later 348-355s unibodys that suffer stress cracks in the buttress and other areas.

10. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    thanks,
    Does FML have an online site where I could check out their classifieds??
    I don't have a subscription.

11. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    They have an old issue that you can flip through. But if you are really in the market, go ahead and get a subscription. It is money well spent.

12. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    yeah, I think I will.

13. Staceman900

Staceman900 Rookie

Mar 12, 2004
    Columbus OH
    Full Name:
    Stacey
    I have had my 1980 308 GTSi for three years and it has had no problems. Price seemed right $30,000, 1 owner, and 19K miles with the a major service service just done. The car was slow but in the second year I had a custom exhaust built, removed the air pump, and cats. Now it sounds great (LOUD)and the power is much better. The car seems to just rev better. I have no idea how much horsepower I've gained but it will now hang right beside my freind's Mustang GT from a dead stop and even edge him out a bit from a roll on. Before he would eat me alive. So I guess my point is don't discount the i's.

14. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim

Indeed!!! Also, the value of proper documentation and servicing is priceless!!!! I feel alot better about my purchase having seen the extensive service history than if I had just bought the car on pure emotion...

15. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    #40 patpong, Jul 7, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Hi Pat
    Not too proud - great car - you have good taste :)
    I've only seen one that colour before - owned by a guy in Queensland - that's a state in Australia where they can't spell beer and drop GT4's on their roofs :)
    I'm intrigued by the front bonnet though - havent seen vents like that on an early 308 - did it come like that or did you fit it?
    John

17. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    I'm intrigued by the front bonnet though - havent seen vents like that on an early 308 - did it come like that or did you fit it?
    John[/QUOTE]
    Looks like a QV bonnet to me. Carb's and 2 valve injections had no louvres.

Joren REMANS

18. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Pat. That is a beautiful 308.

19. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It's got the QV wing too...

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    "Updates"

Nice car! Great color!

21. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Do you that is the only thing I have been wondering about to? The previous owner only added the rear wing and change the wheels. The front bonnet came original with the car. The front QV bonnet has five air slots and mine only have two air slots. I have never seen bonnet like mine anywhere not any pictures in any books, magazines or any forums at all.
    Anyway, I love the car so much. I just had the header exhaust wrapped with the Thermo-Tec wrap. Are you guys used to this material? After wrapping the car run better but now i got back fired. Any comment i should do?
    Pat
    Bangkok, Thailand

22. Looney

Looney F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gold Coast
    Full Name:
    BB
    That yellow 308 GTB looks perfect, that is a beautiful car.

but guys, im about to sound ingnorant here.

I thaught an "I" was a "quatrovalve" ? where have i gotten confused?

what is the difference?

Cheers

23. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Three versions:
    GTB/GTS => 2 valve carbed (1975-1980)
    GTBi/GTSi => 2 valve injected (1980-1982)
    GTB QV/GTS QV => 4 valve injected (1982-1985)

Here endeth the lesson.

24. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    My QV says GTS on the outside, but GTSi on the inside...they must have had badges left.

25. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Just find the best example that you can. It may take a while. I looked at QV's and Carbed cars, and found the best example was the carbed car. The QV radiator started leaking, leather was filthy, and the engine made a strange noise, parking brake cable was hanging, and the passenger window would not work. Yes it was all original and had all the service records, but to me that car was a nightmare waiting to happen. Also if your planning to work on the car yourself, the carbs are easier to deal with than injection.