Which classic to buy? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Which classic to buy?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by SFchallenge, Mar 3, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Future ferrari collector

Oct 12, 2006
    That's what I thought when see how the UK economy is doing and yet car prices seem to be defying reality. Only attraction now is the exchange rate with the Sterling getting a hit vs. the Asian currencies but that can be hedged.

2. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    You'll never get bored driving, or looking at, a Series I OTS E-type ...and if its red most kids today think its a Ferrari! 1966 or early 67 are the best years (synchro mech gear box).

3. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
  4. SFchallenge

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Yes, what FFC said. I've been checking on classifieds over 6-7 years & some of these cars have gone up 3-400% while some are stuck about there now. The good ones are gone & we're only left with over restored units @ amazing prices or those that needs a lot of work but for big money. Those with patina & user condition @ sensibly priced are sold fast. Real fast.

5. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Within the budget you can't go wrong with any 2-seater E-Type Jaguar. It looks great, drives great, sounds great, parts are commonly available. It's not for nothing that prices for such a high-volume car are so relatively high.

6. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    While I am as committed an advocate of the S1 E-type as can be found, that Facel Vega in Australia looks like a screaming buy. If the photos don't lie it is by far the best original example I've seen in years, and have you seen auction prices lately ?

7. cdu

cdu Karting

May 30, 2007
    I wouldn't think too long on that one. Blink and it'll be gone.

I'm a *huge* fan of the E-type but this Facel-Vega is on a totally different level.

This one is in your price range, in your neighborhood (broadly speaking), rhd, rare, fast, and well engineered (all disk brakes and 360hp and 4spd manual, in a car made in 1960!?). The only thing it doesn't have is a racing pedigree, but is there much vintage racing where you live?

For drawbacks, you'll have to spend much more money on things that would be cake on a jag, like sheet metal and trim bits. But if this one is all there, so much the better, just don't park it shiny side down or drive it through a salt water bath.

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/Profiles/2007/September/Etceterini/

8. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    That FV does look like a rare opportunity.

E-Types are my first love and I got my first one in coffee cans when I was 15. The only negative from a collector standpoint is that they built 75,000 of them. Otherwise, there are very few cars of any vintage or price range that offer the same level of engineering and sophistication: That wonderful twin cam 6 really makes the healy's engine look like the draft horse it is, the semi-monoque-tube frame is a generation apart from it's peers, the rear suspension remains a unique engineering marvel and even the front torsion bar suspension was a creative and unique solution to pack a double wishbone design under a low hood. Inboard disks, perfect weight distribution, wonderful details all over (hood releases, door handles, goofy english instructions on knock-offs) and of course that double-take styling that is still arresting 50 years later.
    No, the only reason E-types aren't $600K like a 300SL is that they were built to a price, manufactured in huge numbers, and finally, don't really have much of a place in golden-age racing history books.
    But in absolute terms, they are a world class car, and the fact they aren't scarce is a blessing to enthusiasts everywhere. In fact, so many were over-restored in the late 80's collector car bubble that they are still available for less than the cost of their restorations.
    So you hear my vote...

9. SFchallenge

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Cdu, I called that guy but couldn't get through to his no :(

Yes, one issue is that it does not have racing history but it's looks, rarity & performance won me over. Further, this was the London show car. I'm wondering why it's fitted with a 6.3 when that's only found in a mark II if my poor history on this serves me right.

I've also missed out a very nice DB6 S1 which was sold on Tuesday. That falls within my budget too :(

10. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Meh - the Facel Vega doesn't do it for me. Maybe I am biased as an E-Type owner, but I would definitely take an S1 E over that FV.

11. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Doesn't do much for me either....kind of like a Ghia-Chrysler or Dual Ghia, except French and not Italian.

12. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    68 E with tri carb swap is actually the best driving E.