Which Exhaust Style is correct for a 365 Gt4 2+2? | FerrariChat

Which Exhaust Style is correct for a 365 Gt4 2+2?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by samsaprunoff, Apr 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

I have been looking at exhaust options for my 365 and have come across two pictures of what the rear section of the exhaust looks like. The parts manual and the Ansa catalog I have show the rear section to be a canister with tips, whereas, the another Ansa catalog shows simply tips... My car's exhaust has been customized using glass packs and is no longer stock and thus I do not know what it should be. The rear sections show different Ansa part numbers, but the same Ferrari part numbers, which adds to the confusion. That being said, does anyone know which is correct or does it matter? My feeling is that Style 1 (just the tips) would be louder given the lack of a resonator on the tips.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Sam

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

I received word that the "Style 1" was used in the very early production run and then was switched to "Style 2". This makes sense, as the original parts manual (dated 2/1973) shows an image of "Style 2".

Cheers,

Sam

3. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    For your info: My 1980 400i Series 1 had the style "1". Removed the entire system from the collector back. Each side of silencers/resonators w/o the tailpipes was so heavy that it took three mechanics to lower it safely to the floor. I think that whole system weighs about 250/350 lbs. The metal scraps guy must have been in Hog Heaven.
    Fabricated a new system (see my previous posts) at about 100lbs. I hope this is of some use to someone. Jq.

4. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Jacques,

Thanks for your post and the info!

I am going through the exhaust on my car and I am exploring my options. For sure the Centre sections will be removed and most likely I will place an x-pipe in their place and probably some cats as well. Up here there is no emission testing ... yet... however, adding the cats will help our air quality. The rear sections are the critical items. I did not realize that the original and/or OEM replacements were so heavy. I have found the rear sections, but because of their length and weight the shipping cost looks to be brutal. What I may do is make up a nice rear section replacement that looks OEM, as I can do this quickly and inexpensively.... if I do not like it, I can simply spend the $$$ and buy the OEM replacements... which, apparently, use poor quality/thin metal and so they wear out quickly.

Whatever I chose to do I will post up.

Cheers,

Sam

5. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Hallo Sam,

The X-pipe sounds very interesting. I've been thinking of the same on my car. How will it affect the sound ?

I agree on the removing of some of the mufflers - it is just too quiet in stock version. I replaced the complete system with a stainless Stebro and the sound is just right. They delivered it with removable inserts in the outlest so I can alter the sound if I wish.

Regards,
    Arvid

6. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    FWIW my '74 is *1

7. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Arvid,

I am unsure how the X-pipe will affect the sound... but I will certainly let you know. Interestingly, Caribou rebuilt a Daytona engine and added an X-pipe and apparently, the X-pipe added a notable performance increase. Exactly how much, etc is unknown... but since it is not too difficult to add and somewhat inexpensive I thought I would try it. With that said I will be taking some time to study the physics of it all so I can better understand the issues and what pitfalls may arise. Besides this will give me an excuse to try out some of my tech gear (spectrum analyzer, sound pressure meters, etc) on this :)

Thank you for your feedback on your system! Indeed, given the past threads, the consensus seems that the centre sections quiet the system too much. I wish I had a complete original system to try as then I would have a proper comparison. However, given the cost of an OEM Ansa system (about $5K) I think I will just continue the direction I am on.

Cheers,

Sam

8. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Simon,

Thank you for your info! This is very interesting and does confirm that Style 1 was used at some point. In fact, in my case, it would actually be easier for me to duplicate a Style 1 system. I already have the NOS Ansa (resonator) Tips and all I would need to do is add/create a centre section. I will have to think about which style would be better and/or which I would like best.

Thanks again for your post!

Cheers,

Sam

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Sam, your car is a zero emission vehicle because you never drive it, no converters required

10. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Having just Ferrari-sat Simon's 365, I can tell you that it sounds the business, too

11. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Bazinga!... Surprisingly it is also very, very good on gas too :)

Cheers,

Sam

12. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Patrick,

Excellent! Good to hear... well in a manner of speaking... Thank you for the info!

Cheers,

Sam

13. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    [​IMG]

It was written quite some time ago, but this is a good book to have if you want to noodle on intakes and exhausts.

14. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Tim,

Thanks for the book info! I will see if I can find it and hopefully squeeze in some time to read it. For one reason or another my spare times seems to be less and less... argh!

Cheers,

Sam