Which Ferrari to buy on a 45,000 budget? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Which Ferrari to buy on a 45,000 budget?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by hallsdad, Mar 18, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    There are two schools of thought on this:

One is to buy the best example you can afford. And, if you're looking for a low mileage investment, that's probably what you'd do.

(I suspect this is a habit from our younger days when we had to finance the purchase of new cars.)

And very few people sell an Italian sports car when they're really happy with it.
    (Even if they're upgrading to a newer one, it's because they're unhappy with the older one for some reason.)

For a used car, if you're on a cash budget, you can get a car whose price reflects the previous owner's unhappiness, and then spend the coin to make it "right".

Then you know *exactly* what you have.

2. Four7EightBHP

Four7EightBHP Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 20, 2005
    USA - Colorado
    A 355 w\o valve guide issues - if you can wait a while. Supply, demand and worldwide economy combined with the number of Ferraris produced from the 355 era forward is producing an abundant supply. Therefore, the price goes down and the amount of car for the dollar goes way up. My two cents-

3. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    I bought my fav. 308GTBi, but being somewhat of a perfectionist, I decided to buy way under my budget and prepare to do mostly everything to it, and I did, even though it wasn't necessary. I took it to a shop, where they did the major, rebuilt the A/C with R-34a, all new fuel lines, coolant hoses, fluids, of course, all new front suspension, any gaskets that could be easily changed, valve adj, really anything that could be worn from age, not mileage. Then I had the body stripped to bare metal, repainted in original Nero, all potential rust areas done up better than new, and a full new interior from GAHH, which is being done right now. Of course, I put on all new tires, new battery, changed the fuse blocks, and added window accelerators, oh and I had the exhaust upgraded, so I dumped a ton of money, just about $25K into a $30K car, but now I have a car that many here feel will be overpriced, but it's not for sale and I know that it's way better than any $55 car I could've bought. Better condition that is and looks like new, runs and rides like new. Everyone thinks 308s are $25-30K cars, but not in this condition. So, depending on your expectations of perfect interior, smooth ride, complete reliability, I'd say buy a low priced car and spend a large amount making sure it's the way you like it. Here in CANADA, $55K doesn't even get a great new car, my Audi Q5 was $60K. How can you beat a Ferrari in fantastic condition for less than the price of an entry level Lexus? In the US you should be able to buy a nice $25-30K car and drop $15-20K into it for a wonderful car that won't break down due to old hoses, lines, belts, bushings, tires, battery, etc. Forget that you can buy a 355 for $45K, it won't be nice. Only my opinion, ciao!

4. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    #29 raptorduck, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
    My view at that price point is a 348.

But note that the ability to buy a Ferrari does not always translate to the ability to own one. I bought my first Ferrari (a 1990 348ts) 12 years ago. I paid cash and a bit above market for a pristine one with full service history, low miles, and impecibally maintained. But I did not realize what it would cost to maintain even a car with no issues at purchase. It was 3-4 times as expensive to maintain to my admitedly high standards as my then BMW's and Mercedes. I did not realize the cost of ownership would be so high. I kept the car in mint condition and loved driving it, but when I did not drive it, I just saw money out the door. That made me enjoy it less and after just 3 years of ownership, I ended up selling it (for a profit it turned out).

After I sold the 348, I decided that I would not buy another Ferrari until I would not blink at the cost of purchase AND ownership and could afford it 10 times over as a toy car. That is what I did and my second Ferrari is also pristine and I have it professionally maintained that way and I never worry about what it costs to own. That makes for a much happier ownership experience.

It also means I can add other cars to my stable like R8's and Aston Martins without worry and feel the same way. Well except that I find it hard to spend more than $150k for a car no matter what I can afford so dunt mind a few year old Ferrari. ;)

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

This is sound advice and realistic in terms of expense.

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think a lot of newcomers assume there were progressively "better" Ferraris as they got newer. So, buy the newest and cheapest.

But as anyone who has been around these cars knows, Ferrari tends to experiment a bit, so you get anomalies like the slower 308s (1980-1982); the single-belt/exploding gearbox 348; the early F1 system/valve guides/headers in the 355; the self-destructing variators in the 360; etc.

In most cases, it's a matter of choosing your poison.

The 328 and F430 with manual gearbox are the only two that I consider well sorted, and the F430 is currently still above $50K. With his budget, the '84-'85 308 QV would also be a good choice.

If it has to be one on his list of Ferraris he likes, the Mondial 3.2 would be a good choice for <$45K.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy a TR, but if the OP is a "frugal" guy with $45K to spend, the prospect of a $10K major service-plus-while-you're-at-its isn't going to bring much joy.

7. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I bought a Mondial t for 20k. It needed a major, interior work, and had some minor dings. After I'd spent about 20k more on it, it was a very decent driver, interior and exterior looked great. So, if I were you, I'd find a needy car, pay quite a bit less than what a decent example would cost, and then renovate it to your standard. You won't make money on the restoration, but you'll know your car, and if you plan on keeping it a while, it will be worth it.

I'm planning on supercharging the Mondial to bring the performance up to at least 355 standards, but that will require brakes, and perhaps some suspension work. Of course, when that gets done, it will be a long term keeper.

Art

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    On a $45k budget , you should be looking at a max $30-$35k carto give you sufficient cushion to cover what you find over the first year of ownership...so look at 308s, 308GT/4s, Mondials, 365GT/4s and 400s

9. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    #34 wingfeather, Mar 19, 2010
    348 Spider - best bang for your buck. However, major services are almost 3x that of a Mondial.

10. Giallo

Giallo Karting

May 31, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Barry
  11. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Nope. At least not in any quote I have seen in my research, nor is it in his autobiography or in Richard Williams exhaustive biography either. But hey, there's always more to learn.

FWIW, he didn't say nor believe half the stuff that people spout on this board. But that's for another day and another thread :)

12. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Great point, if he does not like these 2 models, why do people continue suggesting them? No Ferrari makes sense to purchase unless you are passionate about them. If they do not float his boat, we should move on and let him make his own decision.

13. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Really if he doesnt want a 308/328 then he probably isnt excited about a Mondial which means he is left with UNO choice. A 348.

If he buys a 355 in his budget he is probably going to face large bills and be a pretty unhappy camper in 6 months.

14. cbstd

cbstd Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    "Budget" and "Ferrari" can not be used in the same sentence. If you "only" have $45k to spend you are barking up the wrong tree. This is a rich man's game.

Yes, I will get some grief from F car owners who swear that their 20 y.o. Prancing Pony is as reliable as their daily driver and as cheap to operate. I know better.

$1,200 alternators. Front wheel bearings that fail in 40k miles. Seals that do not.

Get yourself a new 370Z and drive the hell out of it, or buy an old Ferrrari that will look good in your garage.

Scott

15. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I second this - I am (sort of) in the market for a 308...The Euro 308s have better performance and look fantastic.

My Jag E-Type is slower than most modern cars, but I didn't buy it to go fast. Otherwise, I'd spend $20K and get a 2002 / 2003 Corvette Z06.

308 styling is timeless, they just look great. They drive nice too. Although the Dino 206/246 guys may kill me for saying it, the 308 is really the spiritual successor. Small, tight handling, fun to drive...I'd get a great '84 / '85 Euro QV!

EDIT: I see he said he doesn't like the 308 / 328, so my bad. I am a typical man, I don't read the instructions or ask for directions...sorry! :(

16. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    IMHO, Ferraris are only as reliable as your willingness and stomach for vigilant and proactive maintenance---which is very expensive if you can't competently do the work yourself. If you don't have the stomach or financial ability to aggressively maintain these cars, your ownership experience will be miserable and shortlived.

Those who swear their car has never had a problem are either not looking hard enough, ignoring the little things...or doing exceptional preventative maintenance.

My car is more reliable than my daily driver...but that's because I spend a fortune on very frequent maintenance intervals to insure all the little problems (like failing wheel bearings, hoses, CV boots, etc) get addressed before they become big ones.

Its too much to ask a 20+ year old car, any car, to be reliable if your not willing to meet your end of the bargain---especially a car that leads as hard a life as a Ferrari.

17. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Couple great looking 328GTB's listed in ferrariADS.com.

18. hallsdad

hallsdad Karting

Mar 6, 2010
    Cayce, SC
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for all the great posts so far, most are enlightening and will help make the final decision easier. I was aware of the high cost of maintenance, but maybe not to the extent some people have quoted.

One thing I forgot to ask initially is how negotiable are these cars, or is it like buying any other car, it depends on how bad the seller wants to get rid of it and how bad they need the cash? The main reason I ask is there does not seem to be any 'book values' to base price on.

Keep the posts coming, this is much more informative than I would have thought!

19. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    People are always discussing the latest 348s coming up on eBay or in the FerrariAds in the 348/355 section. So if you're still considering a 348 then perhaps you should have a look there?

As with any other model (308/328, etc) you might be interested in, I'd suggest visiting the model specific discussion forums for more detailed information. You'd be surprised how much you'll uncover. :)

I'm not an owner yet either, but I have my heart set on owning a Ferrari 348 someday - by the time I'm ready to buy (years from now), I'd expect to be paying somewhere in the $35k range and have at least $10k in reserve for unexpected costs... so goes the 'plan' anyway.

Good luck with your research and future purchase. :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

20. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    328GTS for me!

21. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #46 Texas Forever, Mar 19, 2010
    Like your mama said, "It pays to shop around." Do your homework. (In fact, the hunt is half the fun.) But, don't be afraid to pay up for a good car. There's an old saying that the most expensive Ferrari is the cheapest one. Find a car that someone has already poured buckets of money into it. (Remember parts are outrageous.)

As far as the price, the way it used to be done was you'd go low, and the owner would go high. After meeting somewhere in the middle, the owner would agree to a PPI with the understanding that he would pay half and you would pay the other half of any required repairs.

Or, you'd make a low-ball offer and accept the car as is.

However, things seem to be nastier now-a-days. Dealers are refusing to do PPIs for a number of reasons. Buyers appear to be more fearful, and individual sellers are digging in their heels.

But make sure you actually drive one before you buy. Before I brought my first Ferrari (a 550 Maranello), I was all hot to trot to buy a 328 until I drove one. Not my cup of tea. I didn't care for the lazy boy seating. But you might love it.

Dale

22. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    It's not a Ferrari, but a Lotus Elise is a kick in the pants. And the looks, wow. Toyota drivetrain has an impact on maintenace costs. An Elise shouldn't have anyone parking the car while saving money for a service. I'd like one myself, but won't give up my Mondial to get one.

23. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    :eek: :eek: Been quite a few Toyota impacts lately :D

Kidding... great little cars. But ya gotta be the "right sort" of person to sit in
    one and drive - not for everyone.

Jedi

24. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Now wait just a minute - I tested one out while I had my 348 Spider. The Elise feels like a Toyota... dull, lifeless. Toyota feeling clutch, Toyota feeling acceleration. Basically a Toyota built by Lotus... couldn't figure out why someone would lust over one???

Pick the 348 Spider already & call it a night.

25. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Did you break 6K rpm? The Elise is a total jekyll and Hyde affair. Above 6K rpm it is an absolute animal, and in the corners...sublime.