Which first Ferrari: 612, California or FF? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Which first Ferrari: 612, California or FF?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by discoganya, Apr 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Your choice

1. Ferrari 612 Scaglietti

18 vote(s)
    22.8%
  2. Ferrari California

14 vote(s)
    17.7%
  3. Ferrari FF

32 vote(s)
    40.5%
  4. Something else

15 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. DanielDaniel

DanielDaniel Rookie

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Scaglietti 612 is a Comfortable Car to drive and it can make your sleepy on the wheels is just that comfortable Really....!! and i keep falling asleep and the ride is good like a AMG and Porsche in between.....and FF this car yes is useful for daily and family use but the looks have to get use to it and is still a Ferrari Yes ;-) who cares hee hee........California is a bit small for me and i am sure is a Fun car open top and the back of California the shape is like a Space Ship wild and wild and new generation loves it like transformers they say

2. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    PS4S and PS4 are VERY different tyres. I wouldn’t mix them.

daytona355 and arizonaitalian like this.
  3. Modena_2003

Modena_2003 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2008
    Saudi.Arabia / London
    Full Name:
    Moe Al-Bayat
    I don’t consider the California as an option as your kids won’t fit in the back seat. I would take the 612 if It’s a great deal with full service record. Otherwise the FF would be the right choice in my opinion.

Moe

4. DanielDaniel

DanielDaniel Rookie

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    612 S is Beautiful smooth Looks not too wild ......FF is Beautiful front the front ....and the back is very spacious big and yes hatch looks ...something we need to get use to the design....but is still a Ferrari Yes......!! Enjoy Have Fun

5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    There have been several transmission and PTU failures in the FF and Lusso. This has eliminated the FF from my consideration.

In fairness, the speed sensor problem is common to ALL Ferraris with that transmission, which includes the 458 and California. But the PTU (the transmission for the front wheels) seems to be problematic.

One poor guy in Europe has had a real nightmare with his, and he's not alone:

"So, big news, MY GTC4 lusso’s ENGINE IS BROKEN.. what the actual ****?
    After 2 broken rear gearboxes, 1 broken front gearbox, ptu, door handle
    Issues etc etc

7 months of **** and counting..
    there is a fellow Belgian guy facing the same **** as me and he filed a lawsuit against ferrari. This is the article.

https://m.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20190715_04510797
    I talked to him and he wants me to go into the lawsuit with him since we are facing the same problems.
    The dealer told me that ferrari would compensate me for 10k if I buy a new (more expensive car. Making me lose even mor.
    I still love ferrari don’t get me wrong. I’d love a new ferrari. But in this case i believe that I am entitled to a compensation for giving me such a Lemon car..
    in the usa apparently there is a law that states that you should get a new one. Then 10k for 7 months of misery in 17 months of ownership seems like nothing..
    thoughts?
    Any of you finally have **** with the lusso?"

There are two different threads in the model specific forum about this. Majorly expensive out of warranty.

6. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Ill vote. I had a Cali. Have a FF. Love the 612. Have kids around yours ages at the time of Cali. I drove the 612 a lot and went with a 2009 Maserati GTS F1.

For me don’t undersell the Cali. For me- The kids tolerated the back for a while and then the little one stayed in the back and the big one went upfront for dad things. Never had wife and kids in the Cali at once.

The sounds and top down made the experience and memories all the more meaningful and fun. I tried to drop the kids at school when possible with my schedule. It’s enough of a special car but driveable for daily driving.

Apologies to the 612 and maybe the OTO is better but the transmission was too abrupt compared to others to daily drive. It’s is a beauty but I would wager you would find it ages more quickly.

Both the Cali and FF have glitches enough to warrant warranty. Roof, transmission, PTU. With warranty I have been fine.

Don’t get me wrong I love my FF but I have a garage full of special cars. For you I would get Cali 30 now with HGTC if possible and FF later. You’ll see. With my cars older than 2010, I only take them when it’s about the car, not the event.

Whatever you do, pull the trigger. You won’t regret getting off the sidelines and whatever you buy you will be happy with.

Drive it well.

daytona355 likes this.
  7. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    #57 RonH, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Scott, just as a point of clarification, I have a 07 non OTO 612 which is my daily driver. When you talk about abrupt shifts I suspect you may be talking about driving it in automatic mode. I always drive mine using the paddle shifters (that is part of the fun of the car) and so I don't find the shifting abrupt at all. Also, I think it is a great daily driver and it beat out my Mercedes S Class Coupe for that pole position (the 612 was simply the better daily driver).

Radu and G. Pepper like this.
  8. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    With all respect, I never drive in automatic. My wife had the Maserati QP s and I spent some time in a 2005 612. Not a fan of the ride. I however am a fan of the long hood, overall looks and the smooth pull of the engine on the highway. In my mind, aside from price, there is no reason to go 612 over FF for a 2+2 Fcar. I am a fan of the 612. Respect.

I did not admittedly drive an OTO. And that may be the difference. For a first Ferrari, I suspect the Cali fits the OP best.

9. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Three totally different choices.

If you like top down motoring get the California

If you will be using on snowy roads get the FF

Can’t think of any reason l would buy a 612.

10. aficionado

aficionado Rookie

Oct 2, 2014
    A contrarian view: reconsider your needs, you gave good reasons why you are not excited about the FF, or 612, or Cali, all great cars but maybe not the best first Ferrari for someone who would love a 550 and likes a manual transmission. Test drive a 355 Spider stick, BAT price for a good one recent service is $55-60K, plenty is Rossi Corsa, and get the wife a Maser granturismo 2012-14 low miles for $40K, or a nice 456 GTA for $45K, your kids will enjoy the time in the 355 much more than the back seat of any 2+2, in 5 years your 11 year old will be 16 probably driving and too busy for family drives, can trade in then for the 550

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app