Which Gear Box oil for F355 | FerrariChat

Which Gear Box oil for F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by 355Aussie, Apr 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355Aussie

355Aussie Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    George
    I know there are probaby a million threads on this but rather than searching can someone let me know what gear box oil I put in the 1995 F355. I know it is 75 90 and most people recommend Red Line but there are 2 Redline oils. One is called MT-90 and there is another NS(non slip). Which one do I use?
    Also when I drained the oil out of the gearbox I drained 6.5 L but the manual says 5L.
    I should put 5L in shouldn't I??

Thanks for the help guys.

2. rketex7

rketex7 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    K.C.Y.
    I used 75w90 Reline in the past, but MTL shifts much better in cold start and the colder temparture range. I used to have a tough shift into second gear during start up; MTL almost eliminate that problem. When warmed up, they both shift just as smooth.

3. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Wow 6.5 L thats to much 5L max. Red line is the best stuff to use. Something to keep in mind is that I have noticed that gearboxes even in the same model range may react differently to the same oil. MTL or the 70-90w seem to work fine in the 355.

4. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Redline's MTL is GL-4 rated while the 75w90NS is GL-5.

Check your Ferrari owner's manual to see if your 355 should have GL-4 or GL-5 rated tranny fluid.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    While Ferrari specifies a GL5 oil, master Ferrari tech Brian Crall has answered the question whether it is safe to use a GL4 oil a couple years ago. Here is his post:

"My shop is right down the road from Redline and we use their products in the race cars. I have had many long conversations with them about their products and their recomendations.
    Ferrari specs GL5 gear oils for the transmissions. Due to Ferraris specs Redline will not officially suggest anything other than GL5 gear oils.
    GL5 basically means an oil that is designed for medium to high offset hypoid differentials. MTL is a GL4 lubricant which means it is designed for medium to low offset hypoid gears. In the 308, 328, 348, 355 transaxles there are NO hypoid gears of any type, hi, low, or medium, offset.
    I am not ordinarily an experimenter with others cars except in circumstances where the official way is obviously not working but I have seen MTL used with great success and zero problems in 308 transmissions since the product was introduced many years ago. It was also the oil of choice in the transaxles of the 355 and 348 Challenge race cars with zero problems. Those transmissions were subjected to greater stresses and heat in one weekend than most of our transmissions are in a lifetime. I cannot say that however of the AGIP oil spec'd by Ferrari at the time. One session at the track finished off several transaxles and we were told unofficially by Ferrari to quit using it in cars that would see track service. That garbage did remain the official oil.
    I have been using MTL in customer cars that had cronic shifting complaints for several years including one 85 308 in daily service with over 115,000 miles on it and the owner is pleased to this day how his transmission performs.
    It's great oil. If you have a shifting problem use it.
    I would not use it in any transaxle in a 275, 330, 365, BB, BBi, TR, 288, F40, 550, 456, 360, 430, 612, or 599. Those are all medium offset hypoid gear differentials and should have GL5 oil."

Shurik355 likes this.
  6. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I would suggest the Ferrari Owner's Manual over Mr. Crall. If you need a GL-5 oil, then use a GL-5 oil.

7. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I would suggest using the decades of Ferrari repair experience of Brian Crall, and his factory Ferrari training.

8. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    That would be a good way to have this
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

misdiagnosed as

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129068

9. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Hardly a diagnosis, somewhat just asked for an opinion, with nothing more than a picture, and no other specifics, so he replied on what he has seen in the past, hardly a specific diagnosis to this malady. He has no other info to go on. You are obviously trying to discredit him, yet you are not willing to address the FACTS he pointed out in his post about GL4 versus GL5 oils and off set hypoid gears, versus transmissions without such gears. Please address that info, it would be much more relevant. (I could go back and repost his attacks on your various misdiagnosis's too, but that would be going down the wrong road...let's stay off that track, please.)

10. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Rather than taking my word on it, or taking the word of someone who fled this forum from sheer embarassment, I would recommend simply taking the advice of your Ferrari Owner's Manual or authorized name-brand Ferrari dealership.

If your tranny is supposed to take a GL-5 gear oil per Ferrari, then use it.

11. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    To repeat RD's quote from above" GL-5 IS DESIGNED FOR HYPOID GEAR configuration". You can use it in a non hyoid gearbox but you don't need to. The 348/355 gearbox is NOT a hyoid gear configuration.
    I have used Redlines MTL in both my 348 and 355 with great results especially in the 348. Had a total of 10000 miles on the 2 different drains of the MTL in the 348. I usually remove the bottom inspection plate/pan every other time on all the ferraris I've owned to see how things are. Both the 348 and 355 never had anything in the bottom of the "pan" and the magnetic plug only had the normal small amt. of black goo that always seems typical.
    ND you must still be mad at Brian for slapping you down so many times because your ineptness at understanding mechanical principles. Crap anyone on this site that knows anything about mechanical design and engineering has to chuckle at your stupidity There have been many PMs over the years great source of laughter. You are great at reading and repeating misinformation but remember not everything you read is true. Read up on GL-5 and hyoid gear configuration it might help you understand

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You are very "selective" on when you turn to the owner's manual or dealer recommendations. You would also recommnend for the 355, the factory exhaust manifold as a direct replacement when necessary? Same for the throw out bearing on the 355? How about the questionable factory 355 exhaust muffler clamps, made as a cheap casting?

I am not saying the GL5 is not an entirely appropriate oil to use in a 355, but there are alternatives, and reasons for them in specific situations/applications.

Shurik355 likes this.
  13. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

I'm open to persuasion. If a GL-4 gear oil is better for your expensive transmission than what the Factory recommends, then I'm all for hearing about it.

That you could merely get away with using GL-4 for a small distance (e.g. 10,000 miles) would not qualify as a persuasive reason to override factory recs for GL-5, however. There would have to be an advantage, not just a lack of a problem in so using.

And it's for the above that aftermarket headers make so much more sense than 10,000 mile OEM headers. Since the aftermarket headers outlast and outperform the OEM, the argument to go aftermarket on those parts makes sense.

14. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Vern, while you're a legend in your own mind, I wasn't the one who misdiagnosed engine head gasket failure as mere "condensation."

So no, I'm not mad at Mr. Crall for "slapping me down."

He was wrong.

You'll get over it.

15. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    What thats all you have?? What about the original question? oh... that's right wrong again braaahahahahaha. You are way to much fun

16. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

You are ready to crack the big 10K posts mate. :):)

You are on your way to becoming an F1 World Champ son.....;);)

17. 355Aussie

355Aussie Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    George
    Thanks all for your replies.

But now I am confused and have to reread all your posts again.

So quite simply am I using the 7090NS Redline or MTL. Is MTL redline brand???

18. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    MTL is also made by Redline.

19. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Both Redline brand. :):)

20. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Vern, quite true about all the PM's that fly around about NoDoubt...my mail box is full of them. I just wish everyone else would get a pair and speak up as well.

21. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

22. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    + 1000

We did trans oil change in my and a friends 1998 355. Mine shifted best with Sweepco. My buddies shifted the best with Redline NS but his started to leak at the gear selector input shaft. So he went to Sweepco.

You can really feel the difference for the better going to Redline. Seems like a bad analogy but it will make your F Car shift like a smooth Japanese car.

23. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    I'm rather enjoying the banter.
    I used Mobil 1 75-90 in my car a year ago. I've been very happy with it so far.

24. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    I might give this Redline stuff a shot during my major in May. The garage where my car is parked is on a long, sweeping 35 mph uphill road in an urban environment, which means people regularly do about 70 (guilty of it myself). When pulling out onto the roadway on a cold day, it's sometimes really scary to not be able to get that damn gearbox into 2nd, when a huge Audi A8 driven by a cell-phone abusing soccer mom with four screaming five-year-olds comes barreling up behind you. Sounds like it's worth a shot at least.

P.S. Can't we all just... get along? -Rodney King :-}

25. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    hate to say it, but I am too (enjoying the banter). Have you made it to the end of omgjon's thread yet? HIJACK