Which is correct manual for my 246GT? | FerrariChat

Which is correct manual for my 246GT?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by dino246, Feb 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dino246

dino246 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Rock Hill, SC
    I need your input or opinion for my 246 manuals.

My 246GT S/N 04256 (USA Model) was built in June 1972 by ID plate. I have a blue cover owners manual 48/72 and a red cover with yellow car - parts catalog 52/71. Most common owners manual is red cover 72/72 and parts manual is red cover with blue car - 68/72. 1st page of parts manual 68/72 shows 7/1972 so I figured my car should not came with 72/72 nor 68/72.

About a month ago, I received Heritage Certificate for my car through Ferrari Owner's site but Date of Manufacture shows Oct. 12 1972. I e-mailed them a question for why manufacture date is different between ID plate and certificate. I received a reply with this:

Thank you for contacting us.

We would like to inform you that towards the end of the Sixties, when the first USA models were produced, Ferrari had to communicate to the American authorities the chassis number of the cars that would have been built month by month.
    This allowed USA to have a list of vehicles in advance and allowed Ferrari to prepare the manufacture plate.

In reference to your car, everything leads us to the conclusion that the chassis was manufactured in June and the car was then postponed in the production line in October.
    The reason why you have discordant information is that the production date on your certificate has been taken from the build sheet.

Now, I start wondering that was my car supplied with later owners manual 72/72 and parts manual 68/72 due to delay in production?

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Oh my, you are applying reason to the Ferrari production line...
    LOL

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It would be a totally rash assumption that if your Warranty ID Card # matches your car, you are looking at an untampered set of documents.

Other than that, I dunno.....

4. dino246

dino246 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Rock Hill, SC
    #4 dino246, Feb 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    WOW!
    This is super exciting that you have the warranty cards!
    A very tough piece to obtain and missing from most Dinos.

The late 80's was a hectic time in the Ferrari world...it is not surprizing that there is a period of "history void".
    During this same time my one-owner Dino #05702 was sold to a dealer and "mysteriously" the tools, books, jack, chock, etc. departed the car.

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The most important piece, IMO.

Amazing that these were never used! Tells a lot about the sales network in those days!

One of my owners ignored coupons A and B and his motor exploded! They were pretty important. An AUTHORIZED Ferrari dealer would have maintained the book, as well as any knowledgable independent, as well....

As I like to point out regularly, the service operations required are clearly spelled out in detail........

My other car fared far better, sitting quietly unsold for three and a half years.
    Warranty started on a three year old car when it left Ron Tonkin's showroom floor, duely noted in this book!

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I met Ron Tonkin in Modena in 1986 at the Hotel Fini Gift shop. He was buying a scarf for his secretary, nice guy.

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I know when I needed help with some spare parts for the trip home, they were most helpful, and handled shipping of spares and wheels as well.....

Ron Tonkin - Four Stars!

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    dino246, I'd notify FNA your car has finally been sold. I think they owe you one year! ;)

They were darn slow movers! LOL!

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I've sent the info in, on both my cars....at least you get Rossa Ferrari!

11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#11 dm_n_stuff, Feb 18, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. dino246

dino246 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Rock Hill, SC
    dm_n_stuff,

If you can find anything about my car S/N 04256, I really appreciate your kindness.

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There you go, Dave...that's the first guy to hold the keys...indicated right there!

Congrats! ;)

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Warranty Coupon Book, I guess it was one year or 12K miles...

You'll note (if siimilar to later GTB) intervals at 600, 1,200 and 3K, then every 3K thereafter.......signed off by Servicing Dealer. Looks like your coupons are all gone Dave, as opposed to his unused one...

Mine, as I say, make interesting reading........

The guy was making a beyotch list of rattles, wipers, typical stuff, but he ignored both initial low miles "check out" services......about 6 - 8K miles........BOOM!

My other car reflects regular trips back to the Dealer, and still no trouble 25 years later! Funny how that works, eh? The cars didn't deserve the bad rep they got, the Owners did!