Which is the bigger scandal? Spygate or Crashgate? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Which is the bigger scandal? Spygate or Crashgate?

Discussion in 'F1' started by tundraphile, Sep 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Well, the question was poorly formed. "Big" doesn't really apply to either incident. Probably "more egregious" would have been a more apt description. I'll continue to maintain that the crash was worse than the spying.

Soon, F1 will be a spec series and there will be nothing to be gained by spying. Then we can all ignore it. At least, I will.

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #27 of2worlds, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
    Renault were charged $ for the investigation and also made by their choosing a significant contribution to the FIA safety program for which the exact amount was not disclosed.
    CH

3. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1000

4. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Those who wrinkle their nose at the antics of crashgate seem to have a very selective memory. There has been lots of convenient banging and crashing in the past and sometimes to good effect. No less than Ayrton Senna crashed out Alain Prost and was crowned 1990 Champion for his efforts. Sometimes it all goes wrong though. The Schumacher attempt to crash out Jacques Villenuve to keep him from winning the title in 1997 backfired. However a good idea is still a good if you can make it work. Work it did when 3 years later Schumacher took out the hapless Damon Hill in that seasons final race for the title. Race fixing? The real stinker was the 2002 Austrian race when Schumacher got the wave by to pass Barrichello. Nothing subtle about that one. I seem to remember a fine being levied for standing on the wrong step of the podium but the points earned stayed in his pocket...
    CH

5. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Why should a past injustice set a precedent?

6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    It obviously became the new standard of excellence. What was it Al Davis said about winning?
    CH

7. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Whose standard?
    Not mine.

8. HamFan

HamFan Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2008
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Janne
    #33 HamFan, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
    Personally, I think it is too much of a coincidence to believe that Alonso wasn't involved in Crashgate as well. Would love to see him kicked out of F1 too.

9. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    wow...that's harsh!

10. HamFan

HamFan Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2008
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Janne
    Where there's smoke, there's fire. Or in this case, where there is scandal...there's Alonso!

11. HamFan

HamFan Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2008
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Janne
    Spying and crashing has been done. So what is in-store for Ferrari? I could make a few sarcastic suggestions...but would probably be referred to the terrorist squad! Can one mention poisoning opponents? Probably not.

Yes - I'm annoyed with Maranello...simply cant see why they would risk potential damage to their brand, not to mention alienating their fan base like this.

12. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Its pretty clear to me. McLaren was influencing the outcome of multiple races while Renault's alleged actions only impacted the outcome of one. Much more serious intent and infraction with McLaren IMO.

The best thing to come out of this is that we won't have to listen to Ron Dennis's condescending comments or Flavio Briatore's circumspect blabber.

13. icky

icky Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Anchorage, AK
    Full Name:
    Jesse B.
    The McLaren/Ferrari episode was a much bigger scandal. In reality I don't think either one of these things really hurts F1, just the individual teams and their sponsors associated with them. It only appears to hurt F1 because the press make such a huge deal about it all and don't EVER let it go.

BBC spent the majority of their pre-qualifying show talking about the Renault stuff, and then they did it AGAIN on the pre-race show talking about the SAME THINGS. It's ridiculous.

Although I do appreciate them calling Turn 17 Piquet Corner....

14. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    LOL!

15. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    NEWS FLASH..teams copy each other and steal ideas it's being going on for years.

Drivers on kamikaze missions are putting lives at risk ..do the maths.

16. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I'm afraid that's going to fall on a lot of deaf ears, Steve.