Which one would you buy? 488, 720, Performante, GT2RS (POLL) | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Which one would you buy? 488, 720, Performante, GT2RS (POLL)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by IPO1, Jan 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which one would you prefer to buy today? Can only chose one.

1. Ferrari 488 (any flavor)

2. McLaren 720s

3. Lambo Performante

4. Porsche GT2RS

5. Are you crazy, none of these!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Exactly why I try as hard as possible to turn down invitations to get into a race car -:).

Maybe 20 years ago at a different stage in life it would have been something to go and do. Now, its about the fun, comradarie and getting memories so I can brag at the nursing home when I eventually get there -:)

2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Interesting the way the poll is shaping up.
    I'd be willing to bet that if the same exact poll were posted on Rennlist, in GT section, that >70% would respond Porsche GT2RS.

Gh21631 likes this.
  3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    If we judge by the commitment of the McLaren fans here, on a McLaren forum the 720S would get 110% :D

italiafan and of2worlds like this.
  4. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I own a GT3RS, a 991TT, GT3.2MT, and a 488. I also owned a 458 for 3 years. 488 all day long. Also, good luck getting a GT2RS unless you bought a 918. At 325K or so I wouldn't buy a GT2RS at $325 or so even if I could get an allocation.

95spiderman and of2worlds like this.
  5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Nah maybe 90% :)

6. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I love driving my car anywhere and at any opportunity. Gives me tremendous joy and excitement. And I am lucky I feel that way since my happiness is not exclusively restricted to the track which comprises a fraction of the time you actually drive in a year.

7. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    100% agree! I have owned a 997tt, 2 991.2 GT3’s, 430, and a 458 Italia. Though each car had pros and cons I am hoping my incoming 488 checks all the boxes :)

8. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Except race cars are safer and believe it or not, actually easier to drive/more predictable. Don't deny yourself the experience!

9. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I agree that an exotic only spends fraction of its time on a track which is why I don't mind having creature comforts in exotics even when it compromises weight and ultimate responsiveness. if I want ultimate tracking I would just get a retired race car, radical, etc
    My priority order for an exotic is 1. to be gorgeous, 2. comfortable enough to take on long hiway drive to and from track, and 3. reasonable to take wife to dinner with. only then do I want it to be ultimate in tracking ability. fortunately, current exotics are all good enough on track that I can chose based on other priorities.
    that's why i picked 488 spider over the other track specials. I have little interest in nfgt despite it being most responsive car to drive on track. its uncomfortable ride and drone while cruising is more important to me.

10. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I've driven a 458 challenge car and bac mono (if you want to qualify the mono as a race car). When I drove the challenge car... all I kept thinking was that this was going to be unfair to my friends who I usually track with. (gt3rs, gt3, 12c, 650, 675, 720, huracans, etc.). Challenge car was great though.. I had a pro take me out as a passenger too and what a rush that was.

11. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I don't think there is anything such as a "mclaren" fan. Do a poll or actually know people with mclarens and you will see that many if not most have a porsche/lambo/ferrari as part of their ownership experience.

Judging by peoples comments on here who used to own a mclaren; they say it sucks or something like that. Go back to their old postings and they were actually quite smitten by them. The negative thing they now have to say is "depreciation". Problem for ferrari is that things are changing in the exotic car scene and there won't be much talk about depreciation or lack of it on the standard models going forward.

12. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    I wonder what the outcome would have been if the same poll was posted 10 years prior.

996 GT2
    F430
    Gallardo
    SL63 (closest alternative; no McLaren at that time)

I would venture that it would have been a landslide F430. It would not have been this close. The competitions have really caught up.

13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    So you are saying the 720 is heavy, slow, doesn't brake or handle well? Yup thats the 720. Funny. I will say in this comparison the GT2 still wins and I loved my 430.

14. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    can't think of anything else besides the SL63. Original poll was Ferrari vs other 3 cars. I guess an R8 is closer.

15. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I own a gt3 rs and a 488. 488 hands down but rs is a nice car also. Have a gt3.2 manual incoming later this year. Not sure if I will keep the rs and .2 or dump the rs or dump the manual. Regardless of the decision with the Porsche’s- the 488 stays.

16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    There are no current Porsches I would choose over the Performante, 720S and 488. They are great cars for what they are but lack the aesthetics, engagement and excitement of the current crop of super cars. Porsches do not look or feel special by comparison.

17. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Looks are subjective but the 991 RS feels pretty special to me. Other owners here seems to agree. Have you given one a go?

18. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    I agree. Owned a 458 and Huracan (not Performante). RS all day for me still loving it and praying for my .2RS allocation.

19. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Roll up in a GT2RS...and the valet will clear out those other cars. As rare as hens teeth...the others are not.

Ash Patel likes this.
  20. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    To car guys, a GT3RS and a Turbo S look radically different to a regular 911. To the average guy on the street, it is a disinction without a difference. Looks like a Porsche both inside and out but one has a huge wing on the back. I have owned 10 Porsches in the last 15 years - from 993 Turbo - 997 Turbo S cab and 991 GT3. Enough already.

dustman likes this.
  21. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #96 IPO1, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    You can own a 100. A GT2RS is a GT2RS.

To the 'Average Guy' they would not know the difference between any of these cars I hate to tell you. And certainly not between a Performante and a 610-4. They barely know the difference between a Honda and anything else. And they sure as heck don't know what a McLaren even is.

22. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Not a chance would that happen at a valet. imo; performante would get the nod and any porsche outside 918 or carrera gt would be the last choice for a valet. There's something about the lambo look that people really like.

23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    None of my Porsches received any attention. Just another car, which personally is fine by me. The 430, Balboni, Huracan,720S and Performante was a totally different story. Could not go anywhere without attention. People in parking lots crowding around, taking pictures and asking all kinds of questions. Drivers in moving cars, yelling out praise and compliments. The GT2RS is another 911 with lots of stripes and add on bits and pieces and a big wing.

24. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Average Porsche’s are rather common. Considering that even the highest end Porsche’s follow a consistent design theme, they aren’t show stoppers (as amazing as they may be). Ferrari’s, Lamborghini’s and McLaren’s, on the other hand, are events, whether we like the attention or not. Aside from select parts of LA or Miami (and possibility a few other areas) there is nothing common about seeing these cars.

25. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I laughed at a post above that said unless you track you can’t enjoy these cars. Hahha. Good one.

Drove my new to me 458 spider around today in so cal sun and what a grand time.

Nowhere near as tight and connected and rigid as my Speciale or Italia, but way way more fun and so much louder in a spider.

Just spectacular.

Ash Patel and Coincid like this.