Which one would you buy? 488, 720, Performante, GT2RS (POLL) | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Which one would you buy? 488, 720, Performante, GT2RS (POLL)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by IPO1, Jan 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which one would you prefer to buy today? Can only chose one.

1. Ferrari 488 (any flavor)

2. McLaren 720s

3. Lambo Performante

4. Porsche GT2RS

5. Are you crazy, none of these!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Motortrend released their review of ford gt and updated their lap times at willow springs. Here is the overall times across different drivers. Better apples to apples comparison is just to analyze Randy Pobst times.

Willow Springs lap times

Rank Vehicle Driver Time PS / KG
    1. Dodge Viper ACR (Mk V) Chris Winkler 1:21.24 654 / 1536
    2. McLaren 720S Randy Pobst 1:21.75 720 / 1419
    3. Huracán Performante Randy Pobst 1:22.53 640 / 1576
    4. Porsche 918 Spyder Randy Pobst 1:23.54 887 / 1665
    5. Ford GT (Mk II) Randy Pobst 1:23.69 656 / 1527
    6. Porsche 911 Turbo S Randy Pobst 1:24.26 580 / 1602
    7. McLaren 675LT Randy Pobst 1:24.29 675 / 1328
    8. Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C7) Randy Pobst 1:25.00 659 / 1606
    9. Lamborghini Huracan LP 610-4 Randy Pobst 1:25.17 610 / 1544
    10. Aventador LP750-4 SV Randy Pobst 1:25.42 750 / 1683
    11. Nissan GT-R Nismo (R35) Randy Pobst 1:25.70 600 / 1740
    12. McLaren 650 S Spider Randy Pobst 1:25.88 650 / 1468
    13. Dodge Viper SRT-10 ACR Dominik Farnbacher 1:26.00 608 / 1536
    14. Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 (Mk VI) unknown 1:26.16 649 / 1771
    15. Corvette Grand Sport unknown 1:26.28 466 / 1581
    16. Ferrari 488 GTB Tristan Vautier 1:26.92 670 / 1541
    17. Mercedes-Benz AMG GT S Randy Pobst 1:27.04 510 / 1674
    18. Porsche 911 Carrera S unknown 1:27.10 420 / 1495
    19. Porsche 911 Turbo S (991) Randy Pobst 1:27.17 560 / 1610
    20. McLaren 570S Randy Pobst 1:27.21 570 / 1440
    21. Porsche 911 GT3 (991) Randy Pobst 1:27.22 476 / 1434
    22. Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet unknown 1:27.27 540 / 1673
    23. Camaro SS 1LE Package unknown 1:28.29 461 / 1699
    24. Ford Shelby Mustang GT350R unknown 1:28.29 - / -
    25. Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 Randy Pobst 1:28.40 507 / 1702

Gh21631, xfrgtr and maserati_ferrari like this.
  2. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If you guys don't get a smile on your face every single time you get in your car, then you have the wrong car. After 3-1/2 years (20k + miles) of driving my car it lights my face up every time I start the engine and doesn't stop till I park it. If your car doesn't do this it's time to rethink what you own.

3. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    So I bought a Performante in Dec. I decided it was the best car for me, if not the best car. Here’s the key features to me:
    • The wail of the V10. I am not a track guy. Maybe some day, but until then, I am on public roads and therefore I drive with an abundance of safety. For me, the insane noise of the HP creates the sensation of speed without having to risk hurting myself, risk going to jail, or worse yet, risk hurting someone else.
    • The design. I actually really like the design of the other cars. The 488 is the quintessential beauty. The 720 is just so profoundly unique. The GT2RS is visually the baddest 911 variant I can possibly imagine. I truly like them all. For me, the HP is the most arresting design. It fits the archetype of what an exotic should look like the best. Of course, that opinion is my own.
    • Balances out my exotic stable. I wish I had both more garage space and more willingness to devote resources to the exotic car hobby. For now I have space, both physical and budgetary, for only 2. My other exotic is a 2014 F12. I love it. The gentleman’s GT. Perfectly docile until it’s not. The howl of the 12 and the g forces crushing my back into seat are truly addictive. I am probably 18 months out from the 812 I have on order arriving, and it will be hard to relinquish the F12. For someone with only one exotic, 488 is nearly perfect, well-mannered, but mid-engined and truly a sports car. For me, the HP is on the perfect opposite other end of the spectrum from the F12.
    • Ease of acquisition and ownership. The GT2RS is unobtainium for all but the highest level of enthusiast or collector. I am not located near a Mclaren dealer and that makes ownership an extra hassle. Not a deal breaker, but certainly a factor. And as far as the 488 goes, I would much rather have a 488 VS (and depending on how much more raw and visceral it is both in visual spectacle and pure performance, I might have preferred that to an HP), but for me at least, it’s almost as unobtainium to me as the GT2RS. The HP was easy to acquire. I was the 3rd person to get one from my local dealer. I think the car is selling briskly, but the demand is not such that I had to wait years to scratch my itch. Of course, the flip side is a steeper depreciation curve (probably), but what is better between paying list for a new release and getting it immediately, or paying list+++ for a new release and getting it immediately, or paying list for a new release and having to wait for years to get it. I wanted the car. I got the car. No flaming hoops. No factory list. No secret handshakes or decoder rings.
    Final points, can’t go wrong with any of the crazy high end cars available today and in the immediate future. It’s a terrific time to be an enthusiast. Everyone sees the “best” or “perfect” car through their own lens, and I thought I might share mine.

Napoli, RobD, Shack and 5 others like this.
  4. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    Well said. I have had my new 2018 488GTB for a week and I am just blown away with this car. I am amazed how much better this car feels than my 458 Italia did. The power this car has is almost too much for the street. The manufacturers keep stepping up the game and these high end cars are just incredible. Choose your weapon and enjoy. All of the cars discussed in this thread are amazing cars. For those concerned with the 488TB sound buy a Novitec valveless exhaust like I did and the car sounds proper!

Condor Man and Motorwerks like this.
  5. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I voted with my money, I own a 488 gts. Best car I have owned yet.

Napoli, Viperjoe, stavura and 2 others like this.
  6. nice

nice Karting

Feb 17, 2016
    Scottsdale/So Cal
    I’ve had all but gt2rs.... I like the 720 ..... the 488 is very similar but not as fast.

7. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    Pista only
    Faster, more aggressive and more visceral
    “Usual” 488 not from this party

Afonsolaw likes this.
  8. QueueCumber

QueueCumber Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    458 Spider for me.

These would be my choices from the list in order:

GT2 RS (if you can get one at sticker) is a great car, but not something I would want to take out daily on regular roads. I personally wouldn't pay over sticker for it.

When I test drove the 488 I felt it was missing the magic of the 458 that gets my adrenaline going.

I test drove the 720 last week. Very fun car when you're punching the gas, but other than that I didn't find it overwhelmingly interesting for road driving. It's easy enough to modify something that's much more comfortable, like the 911 TTS, to be faster than the 720 for road driving and still have a vehicle with utility and daily drivability.

I didn't like the regular Huracan's handling and feel, so I have no interest in a different version, even if it is faster. It looks cool, but meh...

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The Perf seems to be a fantastic car, I wouldnt discount it. I'm with you on the 458, its not much of a performer by todays standards but it is one of the most beautiful cars ever made and the sound is stellar.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  10. groutguy

groutguy Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2014
    I sold my Speciale and bought a Performante. I loved the Speciale’s sound, handling and driving characteristics. It was one of the few cars that could make you feel like you were on a racetrack, even when driving on a city street. When I test drove the Performante, it took all of the same attributes and kicked it up a notch. I was never a fan of the Huracan, but the Performante is a completely different animal; it is just so good at everything. The pluses: amazing exhaust note and engine sounds ( I also loved the Speciale exhaust note, but the Performante is a little more childish and playful); great stereo system if you opt for the Sensonum Sound; lots of low end torque, in comparison to the Speciale; the paint quality of Lamborghini is significantly better than Ferrari; the Performante’s grip is incredible, it’s almost like a slingshot when you tromp the go pedal; where I live people seem to be a lot more receptive and friendly to the Performante (a lot more thumbs up and smiles), a lot of people here would treat you like elitist scum in the Speciale; the Performante is hands down the funnest car I’ve ever driven, a real life cartoon. The minuses: the Performante suspension is not very forgiving on less than perfect roads, the Speciale suspension was far more comfortable in the bumpy road setting; the Performante racing buckets are extremely hard, and provide very limited adjustment. The Speciale racing seats are quite exquisite, and are probably one of the most comfortable supportive racing buckets available from any manufacturer; Ferrari’s seven year free maintenance program is quite extensive, and provides peace of mind; the equivalent maintenance associated with Lamborghini add up to significantly higher long term costs; where I live, it is next to impossible to go anywhere without being photographed, hounded, and questioned about the Performante.
    I also wanted to list that the Speciale will probably provide the best long term investment value; but that reasoning prevents a person from fully enjoying their car. Ultimately, spending ridiculous amounts of money on a car boils down to only one important decision; and that’s what makes you happy. Pretty much all modern exotics are brutally fast, quick, and reliable. And all of the modern exotics are well sculpted in their own way.
    I hope this helps!

View attachment 1552718 Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Congrats on Performante. I really wanted to spec green too but didn’t.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  12. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I feel performante will be more valuable than pista in 25 yrs. Pista will be replaced w better models yr after yr. Turbo, hybrid, self driving, etc. Performance will always be last of the line, final na engine with incredible sound. Next performante will not necessarily be better. And the green is iconic! Gorgeous.

13. groutguy

groutguy Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2014
    Thanks Gents!

14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Groutman pretty well sums it up. I have written in the past about my thoughts on the 720S, 488 and Performante ( all stellar )and the reasons I bought the latter. Three weeks in and I am like an adolescent going out with his first girlfriend. I cannot wait to get into the car and drive it- anywhere. I also chose green ( Verde Mantis) a color I had on my Balboni but would have never considered on any other model. What has surprise me most about owning this car is the extent to which it brings smiles and expressions of joy on peoples' faces. It literally makes people happy. Thumbs up, waves, huge grins and smiles with people coming up to me and genuinely expressing glee at the sight of the car.This has not happened with the plethora of super cars I have owned in the past. Have yet to experience the attitude that silently but bluntly expresses" look at that show off ****** with his fancy car". I have expressed this before, all lovers of exotics must personally drive the 3 cars mentioned at the beginning of this post. All are exemplary but with differing attributes and personalities. Highly edifying.

15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The Perf is the last of its kind, enjoy the heck out of it. Congratulations!

16. groutguy

groutguy Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2014
    ^^^^ Thanks Gh!

17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I though Gh was congratulating me. But I will share the salutation with you as well.

18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Don't feel left out. Gh12345 will congratulate anyone who didn't buy a Ferrari...
    Oh forgot he is getting a Pista - but will believe that one when I see it - meantime sure helps to save face whilst posting on a Ferrari board against Ferrari's.

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Shadow, you are nuts pal. I love Ferrari although you dont believe that. I just enjoy other cars as well.

20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #170 Shadowfax, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Lol. I don't even need to bait the hook up for you....you just jump straight on. Aaanyway....

And so do I - just don't feel the need to drive them up the ass of Ferrari owners on a Ferrari board. Respect man. It's not what you say but the way you say it - and so repetitively that gives your game away. Just saying..

And I do get what you said you paid a lot of coin for your 720 but don't let that eat you out inside.
    At your prices the pill will be survivable.

21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Truly not my intention, sorry you feel that way.

22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The 2 of you need to get a room. Maybe a new forum or at least a new thread - Shadowfax vs Gh. Posting by others is optional.

23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I thought Shadows post directed at GH was quite unnecessary and unprovoked fwiw.

24. QueueCumber

QueueCumber Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    It performs just fine. Sure, other cars can eek out less time on the track or 0-60 and 1/4 mile, but they don’t feel as exciting or fun doing it to me. Likewise, if you’re not tracking your car, the extra performance is meaningless compared to the excitement factor, IMO. That’s why I decided to get another 458 a few weeks ago, rather than the other options available out there.

I actually enjoy the 458 Spider more than I enjoyed the 458 Speciale. I’m definitely curious what will come after the 488, but I’m guessing it’s going to be going further down the turbo rabbit hole, in which case I’ll be staying with 458s. I have a stage 4 Porsche TTS for pure launching and 1/4 mile blasts and I don’t need more than one turbo at a time.

25. 'Trust'

'Trust' Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 31, 2012
    Given I have a GT2/RS arriving in November, that. All awesome options!