Which one would you sell ? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Which one would you sell ?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Cariad, Nov 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    ********, everyone has one.

Surprising amount of R8-bashing going on here....

Me: TdF Blu/Cuoio '01 550; fabulous car, probably never sell it.
    Also Rosso Corso/Black 330 GTC; fabulous car, probably never sell it.
    Also an R8 Daytona Gray/6-spd; fabulous car, probably never sell it
    Plus numerous others that prolly get even less respeck here......

Horses for courses guys!

2. Capt Ron

Capt Ron Karting

Sep 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Hmm,you mean the Lamborghini Gallardo sibling the Audi R8.

3. Fastcars575

Fastcars575 Karting

Nov 13, 2009
    Texas
    Audi, of course!

4. solowmodel

solowmodel Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2009
    Seoul, London, VA
    Full Name:
    WK
    I'm actually curious as to whether the majority of people bashing the R8 have actually driven one? My guess would be probably not...but who knows ;)

I've yet to meet someone who's driven or owned an R8 say it's bad; and by driven I mean for a sustained period of time and not a quick blast down some short street.

5. ccr2002

ccr2002 Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Salt Lake City, UT
    i agree...it's awesome to drive and more liveable with awd here in utah...but that 575 manual is special

6. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    agreed. this is a no brainer keep the ferrari

7. speciale ed

speciale ed Karting

Apr 9, 2008
    New Jersey
    I love my 550, but if I had a 599 in the garage, not sure how much I would use it (although I think I could guess.) I am a also bit of Audi guy (have an RS4, and negotiated to buy an R8 in the spring but didn't get there), so I have my own bias. But the smoothness, even temperment and true nationwide dealer network make it a very different proposition for long trips and/ or everyday drving. My wife also loves the R8, but won't drive/ rely on a Ferrari. The R8 is an incredibly comfortable and relaxing car to drive compared to a Ferrari in my book. Beautiful seats, dash and B&O stereo really make it nice.

I agree the R8 will probably take slightly more of a depreciation hit than the 575, but we all can agree that either will pale compared to the drop 599 will probably have over the next 2-3 years. As for Audis not being classics, not a completely fair question, as the R8 is about the only true sportscar they've made since WWII. As much as I hope R8s are selling for $50k in a year, I don't think we're going to see it.

I would never say Audi over a Ferrari, but as a second car, definitely.

8. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    +1. Sell the R8. Keep the 575. :cool:

-G.B.

9. keberhardt

keberhardt Rookie

Feb 16, 2009
    marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    kenny eberhardt
    I've driven all the current supercars in that day-long $1500 test drive program where you get to drive a Lambo, a 599, a gt40, an R8, and an Aston Vantage. They all drive real nice, where there is literally no difference in perceptible performance in normal street driving. The Lambo is wild and crazy, the Aston is smooth and classy, and the others are all in between, but they can all keep up with each other--none of them stand above the others in performance! They are all GREAT, but if I'm spending that kind of money, I would prefer a blue-chip name like Ferrari over Audi, which LOTTSA people unfortunately still associate with "unintended acceleration"! More people watch "60 Minutes" than watch the 24-hours of LeMans!
    Dr. E

10. keberhardt

keberhardt Rookie

Feb 16, 2009
    marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    kenny eberhardt
    Well, Peugeot has also won LeMans, but nobody cares, and that says nothing about what the street cars are worth---their street cars are all junk, and the only fast/special ones are only available in Europe! And yes, Audi made some radical 4WD street cars that are collected IN EUROPE, but none of those ever made it to America. I placed another post in here reminding "F-chatters" that in the U.S.A., Audis will ALWAYS be associated with "unintended acceleration" accidents because a whole lot more people watched "60 Minutes" than the 24 Hours of LeMans. For my money, Ferrari is blue-chip, Audi is gambling with your money, Las Vegas style. The trick with my 968 is that I bought it in mint condition at the bottom of it's depreciation curve when it was 8 years old, and it has gone up in value since I bought it. If I paid the MSRP of $47K when it was new, I would never get that back! The trick to making a profit on ANY famous-name sports car is to find a nice one and pay for it on the bottom of the curve, and its value goes nowhere but up if you know how to maintain it in mint condition! I've won several Concours trophies with my Porsche, AND I'm making money on it, and I still take it to the track several times a year for Driver's ed events. Low production numbers always help as well, and they only made 2300 968 coupes, and the original owner of mine was Hurley Haywood, who signed over the title to me, which I still have.
    Dr. E

11. solowmodel

solowmodel Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2009
    Seoul, London, VA
    Full Name:
    WK
    #61 solowmodel, Dec 5, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
    I would imagine that for most car-enthuasiasts, depreciation is a secondary concern and they are not in 'to make a profit'; at least, this has been the case in my experience. Furthermore, if you purchase any newish exotic without expecting said decline in value, you are, frankly, silly. It comes as a package with the car.

Depreciation is of course a concern, but having said that and provided end meet, your personal enjoyment of the car should come first and foremost.

Also, by drive, I mean for an extended period of time. The majority of people who drive a car for a day somehow get the impression that they are completely clued in with the car. Right...

12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

I do appreciate your response. So many people are so stubborn on the internet and think that they are the only ones with opinions etc... This is a breath of fresh air.

You are correct, the way to buy ANY car is to buy a very good example at the bottom of the market. If you can do that with an Audi... a Porsche, a Toyota, etc... you will make money regardless.

The one thing I do have to address, is that NOBODY is thinking of a "unintended acceleration" when they see an R8. (ha, I just thought of this... they might only be thinking of gratuitous use of acceleration!)

I personally think that the R8 is a little bit of an odd duck and I would personally never buy one. I see why people do like them, but you will see me pick the gallardo every time over an R8... especially for the money.

Also, do you think toyota will go down in history with the same "unintended acceleration" curse? Largest recall in history...

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Justin- A Gallardo costs twice as much as a V8 R8, so not too difficult a choice. Having seen Gary's "odd duck" personally, it is a very attractive car. As a daily driver, it is almost an ideal mix of exotic (mid-engine sports car) and reliable daily driver.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Totally my opinion on the "odd duck" comment. Most of the people I talk to love the damn thing. I don't, and I realize I am the minority. You are correct on your pricing regarding a V8 R8 vs a new gallardo. I guess I should have been more clear. With gallardos in the 80s-90s for early cars... I would still go with the gallardo. its just my opinion. audi S4 engine vs V10? no questions. Lamborghini styling and history vs the R8... Ill take the Lambo... Thats just me. And I will take a twin turbo gallardo over a V10 R8 (same money if not less) every day of the week!

15. Cariad

Cariad Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Any F1 Circuit
    You are so right ! The R 8 is gone and cost $20k in depreciation in 18 months to play with for 4800 miles. There are a ton of R 8's out there and even the new V 10's are struggling, sitting on dealer lots. I may keep the 575 because yearly depreciation from now will be under $10k. In contrast there are many more 599's for sale, hardly any moving. The 2009's are already below $300k asking. We are talking $50k annual depreciation minium ! Do I need that for 2000 miles of fun ? Maybe I should look at a nice Dino for shows and get out of the latest and greatest mentality.
    Happy New Year to all 575 enthusiasts and a special thanks to Terry for his untiring investigations on our behalf. Barcelona 9 May my wife gets to meet her long lost son from Oviedo !
    Gary

16. mr5000

mr5000 Rookie

Oct 30, 2008
    Have exactly the same indecision but thanks to this thread have decided to keep the 575 and sell the r8

17. ChicagoVV

ChicagoVV Karting

Oct 26, 2003
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dan Van Voorhis
    Keep the 575M as I have......

18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Forget the 599.
    Keep the 575....it, like the 550, will go down as one of Ferrari's great designs (OK...Pininfarina). I believe it is a modern classic in the making.
    It has enough power to satisfy all but the craziest of people.
    Keep the R8 for a daily.
    Simple.
    :)

19. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    Audi, the only car company were the TV Ad's are actually more entertaining then the cars it's self.

20. alex550575430

alex550575430 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2009
    LOS ANGELES, CA
    Full Name:
    LIN ALEX
    Hahahahaha,,,,, there you go...

Alex

21. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    @ Formula 1 and Alex-

sigh...... I guess expecting an open minded outlook about neat cars is hoping for too much on a marque-specific forum.....

On the other hand, I enjoy my Ferrari for most of its characteristics; I enjoy my old Chevy street-rod pickup for other attributes; ditto for my vintage Chrysler New Yorker wagon; the same for all the other cars in my little collection. Including my wifes R8; a spectacular car, with essentially no faults. Good as the ads are, the R8 has no problem being more involving.... you should try actually driving one.....

22. alex550575430

alex550575430 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2009
    LOS ANGELES, CA
    Full Name:
    LIN ALEX
    Ha... No offense... I love Audis too... And I also drive Audi's S4 and RS4 and appeciate them a lot. And indeed I am actually looking into buy the Audi V10 R8??? Or Gallardo??? Both are really nice. Test drove them and liked them both a lot...

Alex