Which tires | FerrariChat

Which tires

Discussion in '348/355' started by eric lipper, Jun 19, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eric lipper

eric lipper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    My 355 needs a new set of rubber. It looks like tire rack has the P zeros. I have Michelin pilot sports on a BMW. Anyone have a pref?

2. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    I got a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport from The Tire Rack. Great tires...fairly quiet, too.

3. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my 348. I like them just fine. ;)

4. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Michelin PS is the only way to go. I have those on my 355 wheels, stock size on my 348SS.

5. fxdwgs

fxdwgs Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Sjobo, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bengt
    .....do not buy V- shaped tyres........because the car gets very unstable in speeds over 90 mls / h

//B//

6. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    So, which ones are "V-shaped"?

Mike

7. X11OUD

X11OUD Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I always go for the round ones ;)

8. fxdwgs

fxdwgs Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Sjobo, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bengt
    ....the proper words in English but where the "threads" are straight and not in a " V".....

on my car they were completely useless.....the V-shaped ones

//B//

9. X11OUD

X11OUD Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Bengt, would you include the original Bridgestone S-01 a 'V' pattern too? I've never found them to be a problem even at very high speeds, what tyres were you running?

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I have had my V-shaped tires at over 165 MPH without instability (while driving down into turn 1 at TWS).

If you have high speed instability there are two issues with the 355 suspension that shuld be addressed.

A) if the front is too low there is a high speed braking instability where the underbody aerodynamics has the center of pressure move forward and the rear can fishtail around--solution raise the front end.

B) The ride height at front to rear needs to be in a small window that is dependent on the ride height at the rear. These cars are old enough to have sagged on their springs and even if one has not lowered the car, the ride heights can be off--considerably.

I suspect B.

11. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LOL..smart-azz....

I have Pirelli P Zero, I love 'em

12. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    I don't track my car, wind her out to 100 to 110 mph once in a while. I just had a full set of Continental ExtremeContact DW installed. So far no complaints, ride smooth and are quiet.

13. Majin_JT

Majin_JT Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    JT
    i currently am ready for some new tyres for my 348 and was thinking of putting these on will they be ok i currently still have stock wheels.

255/40R17 FALKEN ZE912 94W Backs
    215/45R17 FALKEN ZE912 91W Fronts

i dont do alot of miles a year and dont speed over 120mph unless i forget :)

14. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Depends on your driving style. You might want to go search for some owner reviews (might try here www.DiscountTire.com)

just my 2 cents

15. fxdwgs

fxdwgs Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Sjobo, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bengt
    .........Japanese YOKOHAMA.....proved to be useless....

//B//

16. fxdwgs

fxdwgs Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Sjobo, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bengt
    ....and as many have said here before.....you get what you pay for......

Personally, I would stay away from Falken.......

//B//

17. 355rockit

355rockit Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2010
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Vas
    #17 355rockit, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
    You may also want to look at Hankook Ventus V12 evo tires which are in similar price range as Falken but a much better tire. I had them on my Z4 Coupe and they did well on the track, but did squeal a little more than I would have liked around the corners.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC2kzeIynQ8[/ame]

18. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #18 Rob'Z, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just ordered a set of Nitto NT01s for my F355. I do not recommend these unless you want a ton of grip and don't drive in the wet.

Rob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I've have NT01 for a year. Smooth tire for how soft it is and is pretty quite. Inexpensive and does really grip. Have not driven in the rain but it does have some grooves so if you keep your speed down you would be ok. Biggest tire available in the rear is a 275/40/18.

20. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I like the Falken Ziex 912 tires. Not the greatest grip, but they work pretty well in the rain, and are quiet also. To me they are a good value sport tire. The Hankook Ventus 110 V12 Evo, super extra great tires are on my new sports car. I lkke them also, they are very quiet and have good grip. I don't think I would classify them as track tires, but they probably have slightly more grip than the Falkens. The tread depth is very deep on the kooks. I would probably go for them if they are available in your area. The Michelins are great tires, but wayyy too expensive for my lowly budgets! For max grip on a lower budget I would go for the Hankook R-S3.
    :)
    BT

21. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I have run 5 sets of Bridgestone S03 PPs over the last 5 years and one set of Bridgestone RE050A PPs. I really liked the S03s and am sorry they took them out of production.

Given a situation where milage is slightly more important than grip RE050A PPs are prefered.
    Given a situation where grip is slightly more important than milage RE11s are prefered.

Whether the RE11s are better than PS2s I cannot say. I can say that Tire Rack survey has the RE11s at the top of their grippiest tire survey rankings but PS2s are second on the next catagory down.

22. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Mitch, I'm with ya. My car was scrapping on every driveway, so I checked the ride height and it was spot on, in the rear, but a good 2 cm low in front. I had it raised up, and aligned, along with wheel balance and it scrapes hardly ever now. No records of the car ever being lowered....I suspect the front springs do sag after all these years, I have seen a few other 355s with low front fender gaps.

23. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I would only use Michelin PS. They are great tires. As for Pirreli.....uggg

24. FerrariDeeJay

FerrariDeeJay Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    Chino, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have used the Pirelli P-Zeros and only got about 7K miles on rears. I switched to Michellin PS 2's and much better wear and ride.

25. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #25 GerryD, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011