Which used Ferrari to buy? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Which used Ferrari to buy?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Gino230, Mar 31, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Bullsh*t.

It does.

I've owned three and put tens of thousands of miles on them. Yeah of course on the whole Porsches are just screwed together better- granted, but to call a Ferrari "unreliable' cause you trolled on the big boy Ferrari owner's site and read a few repair stories does not make you the new authority.

Reading a few guys on Rennlist who have old, cheap, home serviced 928's does not give any insight into what it's like to own a GOOD 928. I had a bad 928- now I have a good one. BIG difference. I could not have gotten that perspective from trolling a forum.

But OWNING a Ferrari is a special thing... Look- they're ITALIAN... they're sexy and temperamental and exciting and frustrating and exhilarating and cooler than sh*t- and That goes for a Mondial and it goes for a 458 Italia. And like every other 355 owner we love the damned things and spend way to much time trying to justify the move up to a 360 or 430. I think I had as many smiles in a very, very bad 308 as I have in my very, very good 355.

If it's not for you so be it... But as a Porsche owner who has owned two 964s and a 993 I really don't find the F-cars to be wholly unreliable- I find the experience to be comparable to Porsche ownership- but a cheap car and ignore service and it's a nightmare- Buy a good car and maintain it- and it's pure JOY.

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    550/575 are trash. look elsewhere.....

3. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
  4. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay

5. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LOL!! You don't know me very well :) There isn't much that annoys me, and somebody on an internet forum certainly isn't one of them ;)

6. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I had a 996 Porsche blow it's engine in front of Me whilst on My way to work one morning, I couldn't see past half way down My bonnet for smoke and steam!, horrible smell too!.

Strangely, out of all the Ferrari's I've been lucky enough to follow, not one of them blew up!.

The thing I don't get about this thread is that the two cars in question are aimed at completely different markets. Were the question: should I buy a 355 or a 360?, or, should I buy a 550 or a 575?, then I could understand it. Surely if you're buying a Ferrari you have a better idea of the type of car you want?, especially in this price range. Were it someone looking at the bottom end of the Ferrari market (no disrespect intended), then yes, you're happy to accept whichever Ferrari falls into your price bracket (as would be the case with Me!), but higher up in the market, I would have thought you would have a more clear idea of the car you want?.

Sorry if I appear to be being rude, I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind the question asked.

7. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
  8. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Key words are "passion" and "lust" (excellent observation on your part by the way ;)), but more so the "passion", and if these characterstics are missing then one does not have what it takes to own a Ferrari.

9. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey

FINALLY!!! you same something I agree with you on. Driver you Ferrari and the cost per mile goes down.

I can not say that I would use mi pre 360 as a daily driver compared to a Porsche 911 of the same vintage. Older fcars ride harder and seem to be a little more finicky.But not necessarily cost more to maintain. With that said, mi 928 was expensive to maintain but mi 1987 911 and 1992 C4 cost mi very little and these were daily driver. The C4 did winter duty also.

Ferrari and Porsche is two different experiences. Once you own one then you want the other.

10. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Why?

11. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #61 JazzyO, Apr 11, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
    Considering he has spent the last 3 years in the 550/575 section, and he owns one, I think henryr was joking. But you never know with that guy... :)

To the OP: both the 360 and 550 are great cars, but very different to drive. Speed difference between the two is minimal, I haul in the 360's easily on the straights on a trackday but lose them a bit in tight corners. I suggest you try both of them out. For me the 550 is a car that really gets under your skin, it takes a long time to really understand and appreciate them for a lot of people (including me). But it is so easy to live with, has plenty performance, is utterly reliable, and to me is gorgeous as well. So all in all not a bad choice.

Onno

12. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    always thought the 550 was much faster because more torque and hp. also, thought the 12 cylinder cars required more to maintain.

i thought about getting a 550 (excellent bang for the buck) but the 360 is more mi style

13. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I think that's accurate- LOTS of Porsche owners over on this side of the fence now.

My 996 daily driver has been exceptionally reliable, but I've dealt with every single "known" issue- maintain any car and drive it regularly and you'll usually have a decent experience.

To tar and feather 99 355's cause of 95 issues is just silly.

14. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Faster or not depends on the kind of route you drive - on a very twisty section the 550 being faster would not necessarily be the case. Secondly - my maintenance costs in 20,000 miles have been 1 major service including belts @$3.5k. I do not think it would have been cheaper with a 360.

Onno

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Henry and Onno are correct. All you guys keep buying the little V8s and leave the big V12s to the guys who do not have to ask what they want.

Taz
    Terry phillips

16. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    If you want something modern the 360 and 550 are the choices in that price range.
    I personally did not like the 550 driving experience as it felt too nose heavy for my tastes.
    It is rarer and will hold its value better IMO and is easier to maintain because of the simpler access to the timing belt. The 360 did solve the engine out problem with the V-8's service.
    The 360 is more satisfying to drive for me because of its mid engined layout and light weight.

All that said for a bit more you could get a Boxer.
    Not a friendly "practical" car like the 550 or 360 but a hand built classic in the old Ferrari ways. Definitely more maintenance but it will appreciate to offset that.

17. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro