Which V-8 car will become the most desired | Page 20 | FerrariChat

Which V-8 car will become the most desired

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by DonJuan348, Feb 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which V-8 car will become the most desired?

1. 308 GT4

2. 308 GTB/S

3. Mondial

4. 328

5. 348

6. 355

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #476 Bullfighter, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
    When you think of a classic, "investment" inevitably comes into the equation. I.e., you're paying a premium for a car not as transport, and not for performance, but for style, nostalgia and historical significance.

If your $120,000 "investment" requires the occasional $15,000 service, it's not terribly attractive. If we consider the money-no-object crowd, they have much better options in the F40, 246, Daytona and several other blue chip Ferraris.

The 355, with all of its appalling quality lapses (C-pillars that stress crack due to flawed design; cheap interior plastics; fragile leather dash; etc.) and tried-and-abandoned technologies from the mid 1990s (and in some cases the world's most complicated automated convertible roof), is as already posted a ticking time bomb of expensive, rare components, in a car not worth more than a new Boxster S.

Like many, I like the looks, but I wouldn't actually buy one.

With regard to reliability, I think it has become increasingly important as driving/touring events have become a bigger part of the classic car scene. Early Porsche 911s, especially the SWB cars, are eligible for many of these, and values are UP as potential participants look for eligible cars that won't leave them stranded. Porsche 356s have also been in demand. Classic Merc SLs are doing nicely as well, and while they are attractive cars I also think access to the incredible Mercedes spares network, and the fact that the cars are simple and durable, has something to do with it. All of the cars I mentioned have begun to eclipse the Boxer in value, and I have to think it's not so much that the Ferrari badge or driving experience are less desirable, but more because these older German cars strike a sweet spot in the classic car experience. I suspect the 308/328 could do this in the long term, because Bosch K-Jet and the other tech bits are common fare. I look at the dated and complicated parts of the 360/F430, Porsche 996/997, Aston DB9, etc., and in the long term I think they will be sold primarily to the "bigger fools" who think they can get the badge at 90% off sticker.

I think Vaccarella put it very well: these cars aren't likely to make "comfortable classics".,

2. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Oh come on John. I'm shocked you didn't get a 328 plug in there. ;)

I know several "real" collectors who are looking for closed top 355s.

How much does it cost to fix the stickies? Fragile dash? Compared to what? Abandon technologies from the 90s? Like what?

I will give you the convertible top issues. No big deal for me as I've only had a B and a GTS.

Look, every single Ferrari has model specific issues. With the 355, it's old enough to know what they are and have real, permant solutions available. Once they are fixed, they're fixed.

3. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Buy a GTB or GTS 6 speed and it gets rid of everything you're 'worried' about - except the buttresses and interior issues, but if you're doing a full resto like you claim all of these will need, those are easily fixed and no more effort than a 308 would need for a full resto. The only other systems to worry about (engine management, ABS, adjustable suspension) can be either easily disabled (ABS, adjustable suspension) with no ill effects or replaced with an aftermarket unit (engine management - incidentally there appear to be a good amout of 308gtsi and QV owners that are doing this as well with ITB's - which the 355 already has). The '95 OBD1 cars are even easier to work on. As usual, people are afraid of what they don't know but I would be no less worried about the electronics on a GTSi than a 355 (and more so as the electronics on the 355 were actually weather proofed). That CIS system goes bad on a GTSi and you might as well just replace the whole thing with carbs or a motec or electromotive setup, which is no less complicated than doing the same to a 355 and more expensive as the 355 already has the itb's and sensors that you'd have to buy and mate up to the 308 engine. If you're that afraid of electronics, you better just buy a carb'd 308. But I doubt fear rather than looks and driving experience motivate a collector's purchase or nobody would want an f40.

4. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I suppose I should be clear in that I don't think any of these will be worth anything significant (ie. barely outpace inflation), at least not in the next 20 years. They made too many and they were mostly made after the point when people threw them away as used cars so there are high survival rates. There may be some individual cars that will be worth something - like a '95 355 Challenge (since it can be road registered), maybe a 348 GTC and maybe the 308 glass cars, but none of the models as a whole will become appreciably valuable, imo. I certainly didn't buy one for any kind of investment potential, more that I didn't think the value would drop much.

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I guess it was an early Monday post, sorry about missing the 328. As an investment, I think there are too many perfectly preserved red/tan 328s for it to be a good one. To drive and maintain, it's the best. But long term I think the old school "crude majesty" of the first 308 GTS/GTBs is probably what will attract buyers. And obviously whatever Ferrari is making this year will always be desired for its performance, warranty coverage and halo of newness.

It probably depends on how you define "real collectors", but there's always someone who's buying something with the idea that it is significant. The entire 308-458 production run are basically used cars from the post-classic era. It is getting difficult to find original early 308s, especially the steel ones that seem less cherished, but anything else is have-able, in any condition, by simplying picking up the phone, as long as you like red/tan, and prices are falling.

The 355 was light years beyond the 308/328 on the tech front. On the 355, we saw, among other things, early attempts at digital engine management and diagnostics, the aborted five-valve per cylinder experiment, and a now-obsolete, jerky and high maintenance paddle shift gearbox. (And the fragile dash compared to the 308/328 -- I've seen hundreds of these cars, and the dash tops durable.) All wrapped in a handsome package, no doubt.

Every Ferrari does have issues, but not in the same number. The market seems to like glass 308s and '89 328s, among the old V8s. Long term, I think these will always be sought.

Importantly, I don't own any of these cars now so I'm not in a position where I need to defend "my" Ferrari. I have no horse in this race, to mangle a metaphor... I've just seen a lot of these cars, bought, driven, repaired and sold. The question of how they will age is an interesting one.

Apart from the largely low-tech F40 and other uber-Ferraris, the only Ferrari V8s I would write a check for would be a nice fibreglass 308 (rare) or an early 308 GTS (iconic and simple) in original or professsionally restored condition. For the performance itch, the 458 is unbeatable: I would lease a 458 and turn it in when the warranty was up.

6. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    I think this is getting close to answering the original question, not counting the F40, 288GTO and the lightweight "specials" the only cars in my book that count are;-

Glass 308's
    the last manual V8's (430)
    and the 348GTS

Do not discount the 348, there were only a total of 137 made, they were significantly improved over the 89-92 ts's (handling, ride, power) and they represent the last of the old breed (with regards to electronic aids) and the 1st of the new breed (monocoque construction, better driving position, airy cockpits, improved ride comfort/handling etc, etc)

7. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    With no disrespect whatsoever to the other models, I would guess that the 308, in all of its incarnations, will be the one for a majority of people:

• Relatively inexpensive, both to purchase and maintain;
    • Very little complication; no electronics to contend with;
    • Little mechanical difficulty; easy to work on oneself;
    • Iconic design: In the mind of many people, it's "what a Ferrari should look like"
    • Not fast by today's standards, but easy and fun to drive with great handling

8. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    No way on the 348. I can not envision any scenario where a 348 is worth more than an equal condition/option 355. Rare because they didn't make many is one thing, rare because they couldn't sell them is another...

9. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    How about the D50? We didn't include this in the poll ;) I think this would be the most desireable V8

10. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Sorry, but I don't think that was the case for the 348GTB/GTS. They were much improved over the tb/ts.

Perhaps we should have a small wager to be decided 20 years from now? Say $100 index'd for inflation at around 3%? That means you should owe me just under $200 in 2032. That might be just enough for a glass of beer :)

11. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Sounds good :). At 33 I should still be around and healthy enough to have that beer when the time comes - if it works out that way. If not, hopefully I won't have to sell the 355 to afford it.

12. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Just what I was thinking!

13. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Well you have a better chance than me, as I am a little older than you at 48, but would think I am a reasonable chance to still be around to either pay or partake in the winnings....let's check back in end Feb 2032.