Which Vintage Ferrari is the best driver? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Which Vintage Ferrari is the best driver?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Cavalier, Jan 14, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005

And Onno will never let me forget I said that... What was wrong with me? ;)

2. David Hudson

David Hudson Karting

Jan 20, 2008
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    Thank you sir, you just saved me a bundle !! That is what I needed to hear... Best, David

3. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Mr. Cavalier, drivability, comfort, handling, power, stopping all nonesense. A Ferrari has to be beautiful first and foremost. Everything else comes after that single most important characteristic. The car has to move you.

john

4. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    “Which vintage Ferrari is the best driver?” Well, it’s the one sitting in your garage!
    However, if you don’t have one yet, I concur with the above cognoscenti who recommend the Daytona and 365/330 GTC. But let’s be more specific.

American Daytonas suffer from plumbing problems. If they have their emission controls (which they should) these accoutrements are annoying to maintain. If they don’t have this plumbing then one is forced to look at stubbed-off pipes and empty air-pump brackets. USA Daytonas are heavier, and then there are all the extra pathetic reflectors and other DOT motherly encroachments on the design that detract from the aesthetic.
    So I would look at Euro cars.

Daytonas are men’s cars… excellent racing heritage with The quintessential vintage Ferrari motor. You can vintage race them and they produce the best cacophony of sound. Road & Track exclaimed Daytonas are “for men with hair on their chest hand money in their pockets,” and I believed they deemed it The Best GT, ever.

GTCs are easy. It’s either a late 330 GTC, after serial number 11181 with the new half-shafts, accelerator control and cable clutch, or a 365. I find the 330’s side vents perfect. The 365’s plastic hood vents were an aesthetic mistake. And who cares if the 365 has a little more power? Some contemporary SUVs have more power than any vintage Ferrari. Both GTCs have enough.
    But the 365 does have the best A/C of any pre-1985 Ferrari. (The 330 is a close second.) The Daytona’s A/C is marginal and must be subtlety modified to be mediocre.

GTC’s are women’s cars. My wife and most of my female friends loved my GTC. That car drew more passing glances and approving nods from the fairer sex than any car I’ve owned. I’ve even been hailed like a cab by unknown women on the sidewalk driving that car. (Though she may have wanted something else.) They are one of Ferrari’s most beautiful coupes, ever.

Both Daytonas and GTCs are currently bargains. Buy the best you can afford, drive and live happily ever after.

5. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    I have not encountered this assertion previously, care to elaborate on the "MUCH better built" comment? I am indifferent to the performance differential; the neighborhood kids' BMWs will run rings around any '60's Ferrari so to me it is beside the point. However do you mean to say the 365s are better constructed than the 330s and if so, in what ways?

6. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    You have not encountered this assertion previously because I believe it is erroneous.

365's are not "much better built", they are built exactly the same, and the components (most of them) are identical.

A 365 does have significantly superior ventilation and AC, and this is important. It also has VERY impressive torque at low revs, especially versus the 330. An added reliability advantage is the double electric fuel pump.

That's it. It's also quite heavier, and in my opinion not as pretty.

Julio

7. pueche

pueche Karting

Oct 5, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Jaime Pueche
    Dear Julio

You probable agree that from the point of view of collecting, 365 is much more interesting than 330, because of the number of cars made. Aesthetically only the air vents is the difference, clearly preatier on the 330. And you can feel the difference in troque and power.

Still relieve that if a Lusso can be afford, a GTC is the best option!

8. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Dear Jaime,

I agree with every point you make. The 365 is indeed much more interesting from a collecting point of view, and the difference in torque and power can clearly be felt. I have driven both. Aesthetics, as usual, are a question of taste, and the only difference is the air vent placement.

I was just responding to the assertion that a 365 was "much better built, with better components". Do you think that's true? My belief is that there is little difference in build and component quality.

As for the Lusso, again agreed, and I made the same point in one of my precious posts: A GTC is a much better driver than a Lusso.

Cheers,

Julio

9. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    And the badging on the trunk.

Signed, "Anorak Onno"

10. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    To quote myself. It's really personal preference regarding: the modernity of the Daytona (styling), the sheer beauty of the 330GTC, and the 365GTC as a great compromise (more usable torque, better ventilation, better "return" prospects).

You definitely won't lose if you choose one of these three.

11. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Julio

Why should they be heavier as the engine is basically the same. Is there something else added?

Will

12. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Good question, and I am not sure I have a good answer. To me the 365 certainly feels quite heavier, and I assumed it was, but now that you mention it, I have doubts.

I also recall reading that the weight was superior. Maybe somebody else can give an exact answer, or maybe I was just wrong...

13. tonyt

tonyt Rookie

Jan 18, 2010
    kent, uk
    I remember seeing weights listed (in owners handbook I believe) as
    330gtc 1300kg
    365gtc 1350kg

both without fuel / oil / passengers

14. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    While Ferrari weight figures have on occasion been less than accurate I assume that the difference is fairly reliable.

15. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
  16. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
  17. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #68 JazzyO, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
    It certainly isn't expensive judging by the photos if all it needs is mechanical work to be done (not that I know if it needs it). But if it is cosmetically tired, and if you wanted it to be perfect, then you would end up with a $250k car with a replacement engine. So could be a good buy, could not be. Depends on your own personal preference too, of course.

I do think the estimate was on the high side for a car with a replacement engine.

Onno

18. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I have seen the car. It is pretty tired and, in my opinion, does not present well. (I don't especially like GTCs in black, though). I don't know how complete (books, tools, records) the car is. With a replacement engine I'd say the seller did pretty well. I agree with Onno that the catalog estimate was optimistic.

Jack.

19. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

think about a GTC wth the Daytona short block, plenty of power, a transmission attached to the engine, Power Steering, A/C that usually works, a HUGE TRUNK, room for two in the back seat if needed(especially if they are short or wearing something short. It Rides like a Queen, Looks like the last of the Old Classic Ferrari Line is a lot less $$$$ and is probably appreciating. I would suggest a color other then Bright Red or any shade or it so law enforcement personell don't notice it quickly.

20. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    #71 srslusso, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    that keeps my bill for gold chains lower so I can afford to pay Damian Forbes of Fushion a little money once in a while for maintaince and Tom Sh---------y as little as possible for parts.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login