Which White of the Ferrari Whites? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Which White of the Ferrari Whites?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by willrace, Nov 10, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    #26 h2oskier, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bianco Avus is very off-white compared to other whites. Try something a little different. Two of mine are this color. Your basic Carrara White from Porsche. Not bright bright white but a good color you can view at any Porsche dealer.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #27 agup48, Dec 1, 2010
  3. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
  4. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    OOoooohhhhh.......That's a good idea, thanks. Passed by the Porsche dealership a couple of times today. I'll have to put the door-jamb piece in the Audi so I can stop by next time I'm near there.

Correction on the Mercedes white - It's Arktikweiss - Arctic White, not Polar (semantics, I know, but could make all the difference, potentially).

5. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #30 jimpo1, Dec 10, 2010
  6. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Made a visit to the local Porsche dealership last weekend, per h2oskier's suggestion (thank you!!). Had the Boxer door plate along for comparison, and the difference was pretty significant. For the sake of good contrast/context, was in the SL that day, so I parked close to two Carrara White Caymans - a 2008 and a 2010. Thee was eve a slight difference between those!
    In relation to the SL, they weren't quite as bright, but there was almost as great of a difference to the Boxer's Avus.
    If I don't go with the SL's Arktikweiss, Porsche's Carrara White may be the one.

Been a bit busy attending to something more pressing, but when that's settled, I'll be back on this (among other things being neglected right now).

7. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    #32 h2oskier, Dec 11, 2010
    Carrara White vs Bianco Avus is subtle sometimes like the first picture (Avus on the left and Carrara White the 2 on the right)
    Or with good sun and a fantastic camera man it's blindingly different like picture two. Guess which of the two are Carrara white :) Avus is almost cream in comparison.

8. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I wouldn't say it's subtle, that's for sure. You should see that grouping with an even whiter white next to the Carrara. More subtle, but still very noticeable.

Thanks for the suggestion; wouldn't have thought to look at that one.

9. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Damn I wish that was my driveway!

10. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    While the Carrara White isn't stark it is very close in sunlight to the Summit White's and Artic White's of the Chevy's and BMW's etc. What I like about it is that it's not really refrigerator white which is too stark white. I think there is only 1 Scud in the world that is a brighter white than mine and it is Rolls Royce white which is I believe BMW's color as well. Mine truly makes Bianco Avus look dirty.

11. ukshooter

ukshooter Rookie

Jul 5, 2011
    Crowthorne, UK
    Full Name:
    Ian Morgan
    #36 ukshooter, Jul 20, 2011
    My 1985 Mondial 3.0QV Cabriolet was originally Bianco. A previous owner painted it blue.

It is in the middle of a restoration and I had the original paint samples of the '80's Bianco and it looks almost like a hint of green in it. On stripping the car, you can see what I mean on the top where the hood meets the windshield in the picture below. I also had samples of Bianco Polo from the 90's and that is much brighter white. Of course modern paints have to be water based (unless you can find someone with solvent based still). Maybe easier in the US, not much luck in the UK.

Anyway, I decided to go for Bianco Polo and attached are some poor quality photo's of some panels.

12. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Ian, we ended-up shooting several test-panels, including the Boxer's original Bianco Avus, Bianco Polo, Porsche's Carrara White in 2 variations: Stock, and with the Yellow (Ecru?) cut in half or completely out. Seeing them all together, the differences were huge - so much that I verified against my Boxer and SL, and several 2009-2010 Porsches on the dealer's lot nearby. Those were dead-on, and the reduced-yellow was quite noticeable against the factory's paint.

Next to the others, the Boxer's Bianco Avus really does have a green tint to it, not so noticeable by itself. The reduced-yellow Carrara White was mixed and shot because of the amount of that component that showed relative to the SL, and several other cars in the shop. I can't recall where the Polo hit in the spectrum of this group, but I think that Carrara was whiter (I'll have to check).

We finally had the SL's paint chromagraphed (the term, IIRC), and it came out to what is actually an Alfa Romeo color: Bianco Freddo.
    Both the Boxer and the 400GT are being shot in that Alfa color, matched to color cards shot in the same batch to match the SL, just to be sure that they all have the same Alfa color that Mercedes used :D

13. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I was at the dealership two weeks ago and saw a pearlescent white california. I really like that shade of white. I've seen it on a 458 there as well.

14. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    That's the Bianco Fuji.