Which would you rather daily drive - 458 of F12? | FerrariChat

Which would you rather daily drive - 458 of F12?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by keithos27, Feb 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Hi everyone. I an contemplating buying a new Ferrari as a daily driver for the next 7-10 years as my primary car and was at first only considering the 458 Italia but now am also considering the F12 Berlinetta. I will preface this discussion with saying that I've never owned a Ferrari before and have only driven a 458 Italia. I cannot find an F12 in my area to even sit in, let alone test drive.

That being said, I'm calling upon your expertise and opinions on which you think is a "better" daily driver? I live in a city, drive about 20 miles a day, and will hardly track the car. I am interested in the Ferraris because of the emotion they bring from looking at, hearing, and driving the car. I've always wanted an exotic since being a little boy and would like to make that happen soon. I am 6'5" and fit rather snug in the 458 (I have about 1 or 2" of headroom to spare) and have not been in the F12. Some questions I have:

1. Does the F12 have more headroom?
    2. Does the F12 provide a more comfortable driving position for longer drives?
    3. Is the F12 easier to get in and out of?
    4. Which model is more reliable?
    5. Does the F12 offer any amenities the 458 does not (I think heated seats is one of them)?
    6. Are the V8s typically more reliable than the V12s or vice versa?
    7. For average driving around town how much better is the Italia's gas mileage vs the F12's?
    8. Is the F12 considered an "older person's" Ferrari? I am in my early 30s.
    9. Which one is generally easier to get an allocation for given I'd be a first time customer?
    10. Which cars are considered to have longer lasting appeal (V8s vs V12s)?

I'm trying to look at the purchase from all angles and recognize these aren't the most exciting questions but I am also trying to be as pragmatic about this as possible. I appreciate any and all input.

Thanks,
    Keith

2. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    The F12 is a larger, more practical car. More reasonable seating position. Easier to enter and exit.

REally no comparison when evaluating as a daily driver.

Now, if you wanted to know which one was more exciting, that might be a different answer.

3. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Thanks for the reply John. That being said, I assume you feel the 458 is more exciting? Even as a daily driver more exciting? Meaning for when I'm driving to Whole Foods, etc? I'm not driving through canyons, etc. I would assume both provide a similar amount of excitement on the road, on the highway, etc.?

4. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I've owned two mid-engined F-Cars (328 and 512 BBi) and currently own a front-engined V12 car: 612 F1 HGTS.

IMO, I prefer the front-engined Ferraris for the the road. For a daily driver, you might actually prefer an FF or used 612, as they are more versatile in terms of passenger and luggage space. They are also more comfortable and can handle less than ideal weather conditions better than dedicated sports cars like the F12 or 599.

Mid-engined F-Cars are more geared for track or showing off.

Also, for a daily driver, why does it have to be new? Most "every day" cars tend to be purchased used.

Regardless, the main factor in determining an everyday car is maintenance costs. This can go both ways, as the more you drive a Ferrari, the more reliable they tend to be.

Good luck.

5. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Thanks southnc. I don't tend to like the looks of the 612 or the FF personally, but I know they are both great cars.

In the end it may not have to be new as Ferrari seems to be a pain with getting a new car but in general I like to get a car exactly the way I like it and know that it hasn't been abused by anyone, etc. Obviously a big premium for something like that...

6. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    F12 hands down. More spacious. More comfortable. More powerful. More civilized as a daily driver. V12 engine.

I am currently using a 2009 599 GTB as a daily driver and plan to get an F12 when it's time to change.

Also the F12 has blurred the lines between GT and Sports car ...

7. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    If I had the choice, the F12, this is out of question for me. Just because of the unique powerful torque of the V12 engine, just wonderful!

1. Does the F12 have more headroom?
    Yes.

2. Does the F12 provide a more comfortable driving position for longer drives?
    Yes.

3. Is the F12 easier to get in and out of?
    Yes.

4. Which model is more reliable?
    both are reliable.

5. Does the F12 offer any amenities the 458 does not (I think heated seats is one of them)?
    more luggage space.

6. Are the V8s typically more reliable than the V12s or vice versa?
    No. Also the V12 is very reliable / both engines are very reliable (due to the high torque the car generally will be moved at low engine speed...)

7. For average driving around town how much better is the Italia's gas mileage vs the F12's?
    Ferrari and fuel consumption? Don't ask for it.

8. Is the F12 considered an "older person's" Ferrari? I am in my early 30s.
    Are you kidding?

9. Which one is generally easier to get an allocation for given I'd be a first time customer?
    For good money you get both without any problems.

10. Which cars are considered to have longer lasting appeal (V8s vs V12s)?
    We're talking about Ferraris, attractiveness is guaranteed for the lifetime.

At the very end, the main thing is it is a Ferrari. Enjoy the evaluation process, you are the lucky one! ;)

8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    F12. It also leaves the 458 for dead. Go to YouTube and search for the 458/F12 drag race. It's no contest. The F12 is a beastly performer.

Cheers,

George

9. Scalper

Scalper Rookie

Apr 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Full Name:
    Enrico
    F12... everybody know that real Ferraris have 12 cylinders ;)

10. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Buying a new Ferrari may be more difficult than you think. Most dealers require you to buy used models for a while before you get on the new Ferrari list. Then, only their best clients get the latest models, and from what I have heard, very few F-12's have made it to the States. Most of those clients have agreed with the dealer to buy the car, hold it for a short period of time, and then sell it back to them so they can resell it at a higher than list price. That doesn't sound like it fits you idea for a daily driver.

Things might be different in your area, but I kind of doubt it.

Good luck with your search !

11. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    You appear to be correct. I went to my local Ferrari dealer today to see if they had an F12 in or for service so I could at least see the car in person. Sounds like the waiting list is 3+ years. So much for that, haha... That's a little too long for me to wait to pick up the car as a DD. :(

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    F12 no question, as long as you don't want a convertible.

The F12 feels exactly like a 458 when driving it but with more power. Everything in the inside, creature comfort, and storage is better.

Only negative my be a little less fuel economy. But the power and sound of that V12 is amazing. And, the interior is better looking and detailed than the 458.

One more good thing about the F12 is people don't gawk at it as much as the 458. As a daily driver, I think the constant badgering of driving an F car every day is annoying, creepy, and sometimes even a bit frightening.

13. spieler

spieler Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2012
    miami florida
    F12 everyday but i am a little bit biased i received mine 2 months ago in europe.

A lot more heatroom and more confortable by far .

As i spend now more time in USA than in Europe i was thinking about sending it there but am expecting a lot of hassle .

14. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I presume that anyone who already has an F12 is an existing Ferrari customer? Is there anyway to get one sooner (new) other than going through the local dealer?

15. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    All it takes is money & a willingness to pay a premium, since as was said earlier, some folks buy a car, drive it for a short while, and then flip it back to the dealer, etc. DuPont lists three F12's for sale in the USA, one in new England and two more in Dallas. They are all at $389-499K prices

16. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    One of the good things about being in Dubai is that I can go to the dealership and place an order right away. They will not give you any hassle and they don't care if you are a new client as long as you can pay for the car. A car with nice specs will set you back around $400K ... You'd have to go way crazy with the options list to make it cost much more than that.

17. ferraristyle1

ferraristyle1 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    I would say F12. The F12 is an amazing car, look at all the reviews, it's seriously a beast! I've never driven either so I'm just going off of reviews.

18. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    They're both awesome cars but would you really want either of them as your daily driver? Low cars are a pain in the axx over speed bumps and when you pull up to parking curbs you always have to be concerned about crunching your spoiler. I almost got stuck in a parking lot once in my 355 and had to back out with a bunch of cars behind me due to the angle of the exit. Get ready for door dings and having to be careful where you park (especially underground parking) so you don't get keyed or? I like my BMW X5 for a run around vehicle as I never have to worry about anything.

19. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Mario, lucky you! I still have never owned a Ferrari so I'm slowly learning how the process works with each subsequent dealer visit/more research online but it seems like in my area I'm stuck having to wait 3+ years to buy an F12!?!? :(

20. JPSIII

JPSIII Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2010
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Phillip Sartin
    I've never driven either, but I would hypothetically choose the F12 as it's geared more as a GT car. And I really like the way it looks :)

21. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Well there are about 10-12 of them available in-stock with various dealers here right now. I can help you buy one from here if you want it right away :)

22. Roadking

Roadking Karting

Oct 9, 2005
    F12, without a doubt. If you had a 458 you would have to go home and change cars before you go to the lumber yard to pick up those 2x4s you need. Open the hatch, slide 'em in and go like hell back home.

23. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    That's very kind of you, thank you. :) Is that even possible or are the cars for Dubai specced differently? Would I have any problems importing? Would servicing at my local dealer be an issue?

24. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Oh wow, you have a lot to learn yet.

Anything is possible (particularly if you have the money), but you really, and I mean really, need to buy locally.

25. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #25 Str8shooter, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was at the Cars on Fifth car show in Naples, FL last week and Naples Motorsports had this beauty on display. 499K and its yours :)

They also had a white one on display but I don't know if it is for sale.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login