White 365 Spider California in Naples | Page 2 | FerrariChat

White 365 Spider California in Naples

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Smiles, Feb 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT

or just 365 Cali :cool: :D

"California" - 5 syllable word >>> NO BUENO :p

2. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Wow - what a spot !!! Super cool.

MDS

3. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    That is correct it's 13th Ave S. off of 3rd St. Just last year I sold my Naples home a block away from that picture. Lived in Old Naples for 20 years before moving on to the mountains and St Pete.

Although the Cali was shown at the 18th Annual Cars on 5th the first two years the show was held on 3rd St. We had to move it to 5th Ave when it grew too big for 3rd. In the early years we were able to get a lot more vintage cars.....275s, Daytonas, 330s etc. Not so many in the show now. Glad the owner showed his 250 SII Cab and the Cali. Also a beautiful 250 GTO was in the Scuderia section next to the Cali.

readplays likes this.
  4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I still have a soft spot for these. In my teens and 20s I lived a block away from Don Grove. He daily drove 9935 for at least 10 years - put 80,000 miles on it - snow tires in winter, modified PerTronix ignition for easier tuning and reliability. Although he wasn't daily driving it when I knew him, he still drove it periodically. He inspired me to get mine (a 330GT).

I think he loaned out his fog lights so someone could get theirs fixed then had a tough time getting his parts back.

Big but elegant car.

Regards,

Art S.

turbo-joe and readplays like this.
  5. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    My father owned one of these in the early 80s. I believe chassis 9701. He too had issues with the pop ups but did get them working. It is one of my all time favorite cars.

Attached Files:

Aardy, ivo73, donv and 2 others like this.
  6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    09701 is a 275 GTB/4.
    Not a 365 California.
    You probably mean 09801 of Bernard Plous (1977).

Marcel Massini

7. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Maybe it was 9801? It's the car shown in the article.

8. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    My dad's name was Bernie Plous. Allan Rabinof was his friend but never actually owned the car. No idea why it shows his name on the ownership. I have pictures of the car from the day he bought it. He bought it in Florida where the previous owner owned a boat company and had painted it white with like a thick boat paint. My dad drove it across the everglades and had it trucked back to Chicago (I have pictures of it being unloaded at his store). He then had it stripped and painted and bought new knock off wheels for it.

For the flip up lights he used a part from an old Triumph to make the lights work again.

During his divorce from my mother he had to give up the car. It was a huge regret for him and he talked about the car all the time. I have a photo somewhere of me as a baby in the back seat in a car seat.

Happy to pull other photos if anyone wants to see another one in the wild - in the 80s :)

F40org, Jack-the-lad, Tenney and 6 others like this.
  9. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  10. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  11. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston

12. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #38 Marcel Massini, Feb 22, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    09801:
    Original exterior color: Giallo Solare 13478 M. That is yellow. See photo below.
    29 May 1967 sold new by Chinetti to first owner Jan de Vroom, who kept it for a while at his Villa San Lorenzo in Cannes, South of France, on U.S. license plates "NART 2". At the same time De Vroom also owned the famous 365 Tre Posti #8971.
    1968 traded De Vroom 09801 back to Chinetti who then sold it to Dr. Allen Rabinoff in Chicago.
    Later on to Bernard Plous.
    May 1979 Rabinoff advertised 09801 in Hemming Motor News with an asking price of US$ 58'500.
    Rabinoff sold 09801 to Joe Marchetti's Int'l Autos Ltd. in Chicago, and Joe re-sold 09801 to Wisconin.
    2 February 1983 Marchetti got it back and sold it to Stevenson in Macon/GA.
    30 August 1984 Stevenson sold it to FAF Motorcars in Tucker/GA.
    March 1985 FAF sold it to Albrecht G. Guggisberg's Oldtimer Garage Ltd. in Switzerland.
    They re-sold it to Bob Lee who had it restored by Allegretti in Modena and mechanicals done by Diena & Silingardi's Sport Auto in Modena. I took pix of 09801 back then.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

F40org, ross, Aardy and 6 others like this.
  13. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That sounds more like it. Although my dad owned the car into the 80s. I think they BOUGHT the car in 1979 as it was just before he met my mother and they sold the car when I was a toddler (I was born in October of 1981). The color was a shade of read originally we were told? I guess it was yellow? When he bought it, it was white. I'll find a photo. It was boat paint to keep the car from rusting. He also only paid 10k for the car.

14. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    F40org, wbaeumer, DMWC and 9 others like this.
  15. Douglas52

Douglas52 Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    ross and donv like this.
  16. David Grant

David Grant Rookie

Sep 4, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Full Name:
    David Grant
    There is one in the Crawford Auto and Aviation Museum in Cleveland, Ohio. It was there in 1993. There is also a 365 California Spyder in the Nethercutt Museum in Sylmar, California that Jack purchased from Thomas Barrett in 1981. That one was perfectly original in light metallic blue from San Diego. It is now Ferrari red.
    David Grant
    Santa Clarita, California

17. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #43 Marcel Massini, Feb 23, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
    The car in the Crawford Auto & Aviation Museum is 9447 (3rd one built).
    The Nethercutt car is 10077 (11th built).
    See very detailed 8-page color article with all information about all fourteen 365 California Spider in the Ferrari Club of America magazine "Prancing Horse", issue #93 (4th quarter) of 1989.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

F40org, miurasv, ivo73 and 1 other person like this.
  18. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Had coffee this morning with the owner. He has been driving it this week. Lovely car and very nice condition for an older restoration. Owner is a great guy. He knows about this thread. I am working on getting him set up on Fchat- hopefully he will chime in soon.

@Smiles, he said he would love to show it to you some time.

tomc, V12addict, readplays and 2 others like this.
  19. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    He is a really nice guy.

I wonder whether he prefers to drive this 365 or his 250 cab? Both were on display at Cars on 5th. Gorgeous examples.

I should have asked him but was so star struck by the Cali that my brain was scrambled. Very unique Ferrari.

F40org, RamsHmb and readplays like this.
  20. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    We’ve talked about that a bit. I think he enjoys driving them both. I think the driving experiences are a bit different. However, he saw his first 67 spider when he finished college and has always listed over that car. It really is a unicorn and a holy grail. Both cars are very special.

He is such a gentleman. I have enjoyed getting to know him. Your name came up today in a very positive way. I am working to get him fully registered here and he will be commenting on this site in the near future.

RamsHmb and SCantera like this.
  21. Tim Weaver

Tim Weaver Rookie

Jul 27, 2015
    As the owner of the car I would like to thank everyone for the kind comments. My 250 PF Cab is more”raw.” The engine sound is brassier. The 365 Cal Spyder has a heavier feel, with much more engine torque. I rotate my driving of the cars. My love of the 365 goes back to my college days at Miami of Ohio, where an alum drove one to Homecoming. As stated, I do drive the cars around Naples and will ship one of them to N Michigan where the driving experience around Petoskey and Harbor Springs is like therapy.

F40org, willrace, BJK and 13 others like this.
  22. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Welcome to Ferrarichat, Mr. Weaver, and please enjoy the 365 Cal and others in excellent health.

Marcel Massini

23. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Welcome!

Post more often. We need more classic Ferrari content!

Matt

F40org likes this.
  24. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    As long as you're up there, get on US 2 and head west from the Mackinac Bridge to Marquette along Lake Michigan and Superior. Heaven.