Who are the best mechanics? | FerrariChat

Who are the best mechanics?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ernie, Nov 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Who are the best mechanics?

1. Auto mechanics

2. Airplane mechanics

3. Marine mechanics

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Okay, I have been wondering who the best mechanics are. Is it auto mechanics, marine mechanics, or airplane mechanics. It's seems to me that each area has its own special touch on what the engine has to do. The airplane mechanics has to make sure that everything is prefect, other wise people will die. The marine mechanics have to make sure that the engine can run in water without failing. The auto mechanics have to make sure the car can run day after day.

Another thought, who do you think gets more out of the engines in the high performance area? It seems that alot of what is used on road going cars was first on airplanes, i.e. suprcharges and turbos. The marine engines have to deal with the fact that when the prop comes out of the water that the engine will over rev, so they have to deal with that.

Anyway what do you guys think?

2. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I do not think that there is a logical answer to this question.

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    my very biased opinion.......... i have lots of friends who work at various dealerships on new and old cars. all of them are ASE certified, one is a MASTER TECH the highest you can go and he has that rating with SEVERAL manufactures. i have a license from the FAA ( federal aviation admin.) with mechanic, airframe and powerplant, ratings. i am working on my FCC license with RADAR rating as well. my point to all this useless typing is that you have to know engines, (tubine and recip), firecontrol systems, hydro. systems, wiring and all the avionics computer stuff that goes with all the new gee whizz stuff. i spent some of the morning fine calibrating the right engine on a jet today, i got called in on a sunday to help ( double time pay!!!) and i love my job so it was time well spent. (have to pay for a 308 soon i hope!) there are auto mechanics that are freaking geniuses and have no college degree , but in my opionion those in aerospace in general have to perform above and beyond all the time. the aircraft i was working cost $47 million dollars. think about that. we put 12 THOUSAND gallons of fuel on it just to run up the engines and weigh it down for ground testing. if i got out of aerospace i would sell everything and find away into formula one. just my .02 for the day. (grin)

4. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    No contest, for someone like myself who has completed all the training with hands on experence the only winner is a properly trained mechanic who has had basic training with the assistance of a technical college must be a winner !!!

MW

5. JMJ575M

JMJ575M Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2002
    Chain of Lakes Regio
    Full Name:
    J Michael Jordan
    I think any mechanics that service competition vehicles in those areas would be the best. But each in their own area. Even as you phrased it, there are differences in what they each must do especially with regard to reliability for the different types of vehicles they service..

Just my .02 Lira

JMJ

6. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    IMHO the best engineers/mechanics are those who hand build mechanical watches with multiple/Grand complications (think Patek Philippe 5074, 5102 Sky Moon, Star Caliber 2000 or Caliber pocketwatch here). This is on the level of ultra-cricital precision microsurgery folks. It makes consumer Ferrari engine specs seem like "ballpark figures" in precision.

Just my humble 2 yen.

Enjoy Your Time,

Steven R. Rochlin

7. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    This is a trick question. All three arenas require different skills but I would have to say the auto mechanic is the most skilled due to the large variety of engines used in today's automobiles. While airliners cost a lot more money, the engines are large and are only sourced by a few firms. Marine engines are usually hard to work on due to the space constraints and most high performance variances are very tempermental. BTW, the ASE certification is becoming a joke. My father has been a Master Mechanic ASE certified for over 20 years and they refuse to grant a grandfather clause. Mechanics must continue to take the 11? exams every couple of years to remain certified. That adds up to be about $3k? I beleive just in exam costs. Look for less and less people to be persuing this.