Who at PF designed the 365GTC4? | FerrariChat

Who at PF designed the 365GTC4?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by michael bayer, Jan 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Does anyone have a cite to who is credited for the design? M

2. daviddavid

daviddavid Formula Junior

May 17, 2005
    #2 daviddavid, Jan 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm not certain but I think it might have been the great Leonardo Fioravanti. I think it is correct to say he was head of design at that time. He is still in business http://www.fioravanti.it

Here is an example of his recent work. Wouldn't it be great if designed a new Ferrari!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    HAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAA

My Lord.

4. mat

mat Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2006
    Warsaw/Lodz, Poland
    Full Name:
    Mateusz
    it was fioravanti indeed.

the rolling roof of that car (alfa rome vola) was later used in superamerica. if you want to see some recent interesting project of his, i suggest looking for Fioravanti F100

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Actually it was Aldo Brovarone wh designed the 365GTC/4 for Pininfarina, not the brilliant Fioravanti.

Brovarone also designed the first Dino, the one with the plexi cover over the headlights which runs the entire width of the nose. Saw this in an interview of him just a few weeks ago.

6. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    I wouldn't call the F100 a recent project - it was presented like 8 years ago ! Besides it was pretty standard looking exotic car when it comes to the body shape - typical wedge design . Although the interior was very modern . I really like the position of pedals - so close . I bet it would be very useful for "left-foot braking" technique .

7. maximilian.szwaj

Nov 10, 2003
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Maximilian Szwaj
    Sorry for the late reply. I was not so sure and I needed to investigate this further.
    This all happened while Martinengo was the Design Director (later replaced by Fioravanti) and the design of the 365GTC/4 was done by Filippo Sapino. He left Pininfarina at the end of 1969 but the design was done. It is possible that Brovarone ‘inherited’ the project from Sapino.
    Other designs by Sapino: yellow 512S show car, Fiat Dino Spider, Abarth 2000 Scorpion? show car – and maybe the 130 Coupe?
    Brovarone designed the Dino Parigi Show Car but Fioravanti executed the 206/246 production version.
    Max.

8. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    While the C/4 has some great attributes (one of the best sounding engines on the planet), the coachwork is quite humorous to say the least. Not one of Pinninfarina's best works.

9. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Thanks for the thoughful insights, it is most helpful, M

10. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Please name better designs by Pininfarina; be it two or five - any make, any time. IMO this is the only HIT Ferrari had under Fiat ownership. Best wishes, Kare

11. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    ...and Ford RS 200 ;)

12. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    From very, very reliable and intimately knowlegable sources back when .... The priginal Chevrolet Monza showcar/prototype was designed by GM and the body built by Pf under contract to GM. The Monza design was done first and the C4 was created by Pf afterwards. GM never complained because it was quite nice to be copied for a Ferrari.

Jeff

13. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    #13 jm3, Feb 5, 2008
    Interesting story, and as plausible as any I suppose. I have always wondered why Ferrari didn't complain when the Monza debuted. But the Monza debuted in late 1974, so maybe it takes 4 years longer to mass produce a design. shrug

Jay
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. daviddavid

daviddavid Formula Junior

May 17, 2005
    #14 daviddavid, Feb 6, 2008
  15. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    2NA: We differ here, I buy Ferraris to drive, not look at, try as I might, fast in a turn or a straight, I have never been able to see the coach work on any of my cars. M

16. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I never suggested that I wouldn't own a C/4. I generally like the car but it has 2 features that are not favorites of mine. one is the large center console (necessitated by the rather large conventionally mounted gearbox).

17. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    2NA Agreed. (is 2NA a tail number perchance?) M

18. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    2NA = TUNA

It's my nickname since high school (the 70's). A few people still use it.

19. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Daytona is pretty OK in closed form, but was well under way when Fiat took over. 308 lost much of its edge between Fiovaranti's sketches and production. F40 is just another re-draw around 308 cockpit area; a functional beast and a wonderful car, I'm sure but nothing exceptional designwise.

20. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I suppose enduring popularity and appreciating values and the proliferation of replicas mean nothing?

21. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    The F 40 is a beast in both looks and on the track. People who like a purposeful street legal real race car are the ones who love the F 40 design; form follows function with this car which you don't get from many cars in this catagory. This accounts for its popularity even today IMHO; it's a cohesive package that delivers what it looks like it will deliver.

Others, myself included, prefer the more elegant lines of the street cars: 308, 246, 599. But that's just me; I see the appeal of the F 40 even though it's not my cup of tea.

Ken

22. mat

mat Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2006
    Warsaw/Lodz, Poland
    Full Name:
    Mateusz
    if it comes to aesthetics, 599 looks awesome alone, but place it next to eg. 250 Lusso and everything goes all wrong

23. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    He really was the master.

The 365 GTC4 is a fine car, but the Daytona and 308/328/F40 are the ones that quicken my pulse.

(Yes, Ken, the F40 is a little over-the-top for me. I'd have it for track use, but the 308/328 are a better fit for street use.)

24. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Place it next to a 550 and everything goes all wrong. I don't know how the new Alfa 8C design slipped away from Ferrari, but Maranello needs to get Fioravanti back.

Vintage design had its own rules - hard to compare. I'd agree most of the modern 2-ton blobs fade away next to the Lusso and many others of that era.