Who can get me a bottle of Absinth? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Who can get me a bottle of Absinth?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by DrStranglove, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Ok, what exactly is it? I understand its a drink but what type? What does it do? It seem a few of you have had some intresting shall I say TRIPs with it.

2. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Check my link from the second post. It tells you how it works, why(the chemsitry behind it), information on laws pertaining to it, and other interesting stuff.

3. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    One of my friends once brought a bottle back from his term abroad greece. It was pretty gross, but then again thats my opinion and i generally dont like straight hard liquor. I think they no longer add whatever it was that made absynthe (or however its spelled) like a drug. I think that ingredient was some kind of plant root.

4. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Is there any way to still get it? Like the real stuff? I want to get a bottle.

5. hoffmeister

hoffmeister Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Baghdad...again
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    There are many places in Prague where you can get "the good stuff". But again it really doesn't have any effect other than getting you sloppy drunk. The coolest thing about it really is the ritual involved with drinking it. You use a special spoon with holes in it and melt a sugar cube over it. While the sugar carmelizes and drops into the Absinthe thru the spoon holes, it's supposed to create a chemical reaction with the wormword which is "supposed" to cause hallucinations. Not that I've ever noticed, though I must say from experience that anytime you mess around with 140+ proof liquor and flames, it's best to have someone around who isn't already totally wasted to be the "flame keeper". Trust me on this one :)

6. larz

larz Rookie

Feb 27, 2004
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    The best stuff I ever had was in Barcelona. Fly there and have a good time.

7. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    dr strangelove.....i'll split a case of the good stuff with you. just let me know when. i had my first taste of absinthe while i was on a ghost tour in new orleans. it was a pretty good no seeing things but still good.
    thad ....wants some real absinthe....brown

8. randall

randall Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Portsmouth, VA
    Full Name:
    Randall
    You're supposed to use an Absinthe spoon (spoon with slots). Place a cube of sugar on it and the Absinthe in a glass below. Drizzle ice cold water on the sugar until it melts away. When it hits the green Absinthe the color will change into a murky white. Improves the taste quite a bit. You can also buy wormwood extract, but it's a little sketchy making it yourself.

9. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    So is that the good stuff or just a copy of it?

10. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    It's gross. I just smelled some and had to turn away. Think Jagermeister but stronger. And don't think you are going to hallucinate from one drink. You really have to drink like a whole bottle.

Trust me - you aren't missing much.