Who can identify this photo ??? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Who can identify this photo ???

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by [email protected], Apr 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    i didn't mean to imply that the 208 had anything to do with the dainas..those were fiat 1400 based, an entirely different animal...what i noticed was the flat hood with the shallow scoop; much in evidence in early italian coachwork particularly stab. farina ....actually a late veedub karmann-ghia still retains the lines of early ghia bodied ferraris...and then theres zagato...

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    There is no way that windscreen frame is even remotely similar :) ...

An Elan has to be discounted as I said earlier.
    Pete

3. Chicane

Chicane F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 17, 2007
    Funkytown
    Full Name:
    Dirk Diggler
    I concur and there is also a hood scoop in this photo that is not on the Elan.

4. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
    - what about an HRG Aerodynamic (produced in the early '50's in UK) or an Arnolt MG or maybe a J2X Allard or a small block bondo chevy special?

5. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #30 Crawler, Apr 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think that the Miltonian nailed it and that further discussion is superfluous. The shape of the windscreen, hood (bonnet) scoop, pop-up headlights, side vent, etc. all fit. I'm wondering which carrozzeria created it (Zagato, maybe?) and if the barn car could be the very same one that's in the old photo.

"Otto Vu" Fiats are worth a fortune today, and the Siata would be no exception.

Look at the top car in this old ad...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #31 Miltonian, Apr 3, 2007
  7. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Notwithstanding the horrible bondo job, that's gotta be it. Even down to the way the little turn signal lights are angled sideways.

8. mbwestwood@hotmail.com

Jan 13, 2007
    #33 [email protected], Apr 3, 2007
    Wooow !!!

You're simply great. I just looked into the thread to see, if anybody answered. And what did I find ? 30 replies, a very interesting discussion and a perfectly plausible result.

Thanks a lot to everybody !!!

I think, I owe you an explanation, now. The photo is the only one, that I have. It was taken in 1983 in a private car collection in europe. This car and a lot of other interesting cars probably are still with the same owner, still unrestored. But nobody knows for sure ...

Attached find another photo from the collection. Could this be an Aston Martin DB2/4 ? I know, the collection contained two of those.

Thanks!
    MBW

9. thebigmboy

thebigmboy Rookie

Jan 29, 2007
    La Jolla, CA
    what does a fiat 8V go for these days? you said a fortune but i don't know what isn't when it comes to early italian cars and now even later ones.

10. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    These cars aren't in Portugal are they?

11. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    That car would be close to a half million today restored to Pebble Beach quality.

12. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    I was thinking the same thing. But that recent BIG find was locked away in a huge dark building. Who knows. That was amazing.

13. anton

anton Karting

May 8, 2004
    Said the Doctor:

"That car would be close to a half million today restored to Pebble Beach quality."

Stu, I think a 98 point Siata CS coupe today would bring more like $600K, possibly more if it had good period racing history.
    Anton

14. anton

anton Karting

May 8, 2004
    "Attached find another photo from the collection. Could this be an Aston Martin DB2/4 ? I know, the collection contained two of those."

I'd bet large money this car is Italian, most likely a Lancia B20 or possibly a Siata Daina. About 20 years ago I bought a 1952 Siata Daina fastback in Minnesota with the same rear body shape, trunk lid and those vertical Carello license lights. It was Fiat 1400 powered with a 5spd column shift gearbox. IIRC, Peter Zobian owns/owned a very similar car.
    Those lights were also used on B20s with similar tail lights to the ones pictured.
    Anton

15. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
    This doesn't look like a DB2/4 Aston;its slightly reminiscent of the AC Ace(but with the wrong rear lights) but I do buy the possibility of an Italian connection - Aurelia B20, Cisitalia or OSCA perhaps?

16. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    the photo looks like a lot of rust on the trunklid....keep in mind even the most prosaic coachbuilt italian cars often had alloy hoods , doors and trunk....

how 'bout a early coachbuilt simca ?

17. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I'm not sure, as the highest price I have heard for a Zagato was around $600,000 and I think it would be worth more that the body style shown. Less than 10 years ago, Ray Milo couldn't sell a Zagato for $200,000. Seems like all the "etceterinis" have really gone up in the last 10 years. I understand Raoul San Georgi got something like 400,000 Euros for his Alfa Tipo 256 1939 LeMans REPLICA (but based on real 6c2500 components)!!! Muscle car and Retro-rod prices may be going down, but prices on Italian sports cars are certainly going up...

18. vroomgt

vroomgt Formula 3

Aug 23, 2004
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    John ARBA
    This looks like the collection that was first featured in "Supercar Classics" Magazine about twebty years ago.

Featured quite a few Bugattis and Ferraris and an Aston.

a lot of the cars were stored in a cellar and there were many outside.

Someone with the Mag may post but but it has been emntioned here not too long ago.

19. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    That's it, exactly. Featured on pages 249-254 of The Cobra in the Barn by Tom Cotter. Bugattis, Cords, a Lancia and many others, including what's supposedly one of the three Alfa 6C2500 Competiziones. Nine color photos in total. The wood-frame window is one of the cellar windows.

20. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #45 Miltonian, Apr 4, 2007
    The French "Rotten Row" collection was shown in Supercar Classics, Autumn 1984 (which I don't have) and December 1987 (which I do have). This is the only Ferrari picture from the second issue.

21. mbwestwood@hotmail.com

Jan 13, 2007
    #46 [email protected], Apr 4, 2007
    Again you did it ...

The car in fact seems to be a Lancia Aurelia B20. In found some matching pictures in google. Attached find the only other photo I have (a sideview).

The collection never was in Portugal. The other suggestions are much better ... ;-)

I will post another "unknown" car, soon. This works to good to stop :)))

Thanks a lot!
    MBW

22. mbwestwood@hotmail.com

Jan 13, 2007
    #47 [email protected], Apr 4, 2007
    This is the third unknown car in this collection. What do you think, Lancia ? Which one ? I'm really curious if you can solve this one too ...

MBW

23. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Your last two pictures are almost undoubtedly the same car, a Lancia Aurelia B20 GT.

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm, I hmmm wish you would not post more pictures from that very sad collection. I also have the 'Cobra in the Barn' book and it's just depressing that chapter.

While I understand not all are into cars and some obviously enjoy depriving others ... why not sell the lot and donate the money to a childrens charity or something ...

I guess by now 80% of that collection would be beyond restoration ... their future would be replicas based on their dug up chassis tags, like that GT40.

That place is a morgue :(
    Pete

25. mbwestwood@hotmail.com

Jan 13, 2007
    Hi,

thanks for the identification. I was confused, because the photos show two different cars (one from the back, one from the front).

By the way, I do not enjoy depriving people. But I partly agree with the owner of the collection. If I was him I would try to preserve the cars as they are today. I wouldn't let them rot, but I wouldn't let them be restored either ... Oldtimers should show their age in my opinion. I don't like Pebble Beach winners.

The photos I am posting here, only show the worst examples out of this collection. Simply the ones, I haven't idenified yet. Most cars were in a better state, when the photos were taken. I don't know the actual state (now, 24 years later !).

MBW