Who decided the Enzo is worth $1.2 Million? | FerrariChat

Who decided the Enzo is worth $1.2 Million?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by the stranger, Jul 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. the stranger

the stranger Karting

Feb 18, 2004
    Just curious, but how did the 'market' decide that a $650K car should have an asking price of $1.2 million? Did someone actually buy one for that price and then everyone that had one to sell listed it for that much? It seems all the Enzos that have been advertised at that price for the past year haven't sold but they're still asking the same amount. Comments?

2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Supply and demand.

Economics 101.

3. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Too much money around?

Ciao

Eugenio

4. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    LOL, what he said!

5. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    The way it works for cars is the same for houses. You want it, I got it...but it will cost you. And Supply and Demand is absolutely correct. This creates bidding wars and the highest bid gets it. Obviously, someone believes $1.2 mil to be a fair market price. As soon as one person pays that amount, the market is set. If noone else pays that amount, the market price will drop.

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Most likely yes. More than one has sold at this price though. When people figure out that *someone* will pay $1.2 million, of course that's what they're going to ask for it. Otherwise they would be losing the difference.

People wanting to flip it and maximize their return will 'ask' higher than market, expecting market offers (or an offer for what they want, if the person either needs that one in particular, or hasn't done their homework).

In principle, prices rise much faster than they fall. A few reported bids in an afternoon can jump ALL Enzos on the market to $1.2m, but it could take years for those prices to hit MSRP again (if ever).

After a few more months you'll see prices settle a bit. And slowly step down until those cars sell - but only if the owners really *want* to sell. Basic economics assumes a motivated buyer and a motivated seller. Unmotivated sellers won't drop prices.

I presume though that many are being driven along with being listed, owners just trolling for bites. There's a LOT of wealth around nowadays though, and plenty of people who could buy at $1.2m.

7. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    From market guide in Cavallino magazine:

''Indicated prices are based on either actual sales, or on a knowledgeble estimate of what a specific model should sell for if ever brought to market.''

Makes sense? BTW, Cavallino evaluates an Enzo between 750K and 1.6M$.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's a classic feature of the infamous practice of "land flipping" in real estate, to double your investment overnight.

These cash speculators are no different.

cash + profit = sale price.

Gee, they are not selling? Maybe there are not 300 totally stupid cash rich Ferrari collectors in the world after all, that were not on the original Factory list.....hmmmmmmm.

..or the short answer: Andrew Gavi! (Do a search.....) ;)

9. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    They didn't make very many.
    So the more hype they get the more people want them.
    There are a lot of millionaires in the world, but only 399 Enzos
    or is it 299 I can't remember, very few tho.
    So people will name there price.
    Awsome car!!

10. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Be careful with parts of that logic on "value" ryalex!

I have friend that wholesales 4000 - 5000 cars a month who gave me very wise advice concerning "used" cars, (which ALL Enzos now are...)

"It's worth what you count in your hand, as you watch it drive away.."

So the fact that these Enzos are not LEAVING the lots tells you something, eh????

Can you say "Market Saturation"??? I knew ya' could! ;)

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Well minus the 4 crashed ones 395 :)

13. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'm not certain if the "market is saturated" as much as the sellers are unmotivated. If they, like your wholesaling friend *wanted* to move the car on the short term for a profit, they would step prices down until they sold (I'd wager that at $900k-1m they'd all be gone).

The owners are not doing this, and by camping out for the eventual buyer prove they are not needing to sell it.

As a side note, I think if Ferrari intended to completely saturate and squeeze every drop from the Enzo market, they would have made about 500-550 cars. Nothing more than some student in a basement's opinion, but I think if they had a stronger campaign to find buyers and court the money, they could have gotten many more than 399. But THAT would have affected the used car values a lot. We'd see closer to MSRP trading hands.

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You are misusing the word "owner"!

These cars are on "Used Car Lots" which is different. They cannot eat them.

It is an interesting market, to say the least, largely bouyed by the economey and ego.... The economy doesn't look too healthy right now, from my read of the market. But heck, the other factor, ego, is still blooming around the world, so hey, maybe there's hope they'll all find homes at $1.2M.

My .02, is that the real factory customers who bought at $675K makes the $1.2M customers look like fools. Every one of them!

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The $1.2M number is driven by what I'll call the "First on the Block" syndrome.

Obviously this effect has a VERY limited half life.

Where is Andrew Gavi? He had two contracts, or at least options, on 2 Enzos. Did anyone deal with him on his cars?

16. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I guess Enzo was right. Make one less than you can sell, he used to say. Aparently they made several less than they could sell.

17. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'd add though that many qualified buyers were never invited to do so. With more of a widespread and open sales campaign, they could have given more people Enzos. The factory brags they do "Market - 1" production runs, but this is BS. The market could have been 25% larger.

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    But another consideration is that the ALTERNATIVES to the Enzo have become more numerous, IMO.

19. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    True, true. CGT and SLR are going to milk everything they can... with a combined production of what, 5,000 total??

20. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    "Million-dollar cars... everybody's got 'em."
    -Will Smith

-DC

21. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

22. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    One "used" Enzo sold for 1.2M in Ferrari of Central Florida

23. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

kaaaa-chinnnngggggg

24. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Agreed, but I learned that in Economics 2301.