Who is Secretive about their Ferrari Ownership? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Who is Secretive about their Ferrari Ownership?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by VTChris, May 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I have never brought my car to work or ever mentioned that I own a Ferrari to my co-workers. I think the only people that know I own one are people on this board and the guys/gals I go on drives with.

2. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    +1

3. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    #78 VTChris, May 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

IMO F-ownership is best kept on the QT except for fellow owners or those who would appreciate it. I've found in many cases if you mention it people start to get weird. Especially those that are in no position or ever will be to own one. As someone said earlier it's to the point where I forget that I own one. Based on this approach I never really run in to a problem.

5. RonnieF430Spider

RonnieF430Spider Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Ronnie C
    If the subject comes up in conversation, I mention that I have a Ferrari but I only drive it on weekends. Then I say that my daily driver is a Bugatti Veyron
    EB16, and the conversation abruptly ends.

6. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    find there are basically three types of 'common-on-the-street' folks in regards to Ferraris:
    1. Those that totally ignore you, becuase they think you think your too good [which isn't the case]...their tought luck...like to constantly disarm them with small, regular chat.
    2. those that HATE you, and go out of their way to be dicks: I have actually had two times, while driving where some one has thrown something at us from their opposite side of the road. Then those that give you the 'salute' like when I drive by Infineon during NASCAR or Dodge rallys...
    3. Those that are just regular persons and know how to act normal....

as I currently work for the county, I park away from the office on days I like to just drive it to work......[or get it back for the shop], so having such a car where fellow workers might see it, well, just is toooooo awkward.

can't wait to retire............

7. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Hello. My name is Phil. I am addicted to Ferraris. Yes, I own one.

When I was working, they never knew about the 355 or the 360. Just the Boxster S.

Now that I am unemployed (aka retired), who cares.

8. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Ferrari ???? what Ferrari????? I don't even like Ferrari's.

9. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I prefer to keep ownership to myself and to those who I know appreciate fine automobiles, whether it be hot rods, sports cars or collector cars,etc.
    It's my little escape and a chance to spend some quality time with myself and my car and friends that own Ferrari's. You don't have to answer the same old questions to those who know what it means to own a Ferrari and the passion involved in ownership. When I bought my first Ferrari I was so proud and wanted to show it to everyone, big mistake , all it did was garnish jealousy and resentment from some at work and sent the wrong signals of who I really was to others.
    Let's face it,unfortunately, to most people owning a Ferrari is a statement of wealth and a "I'm better than you" mentality. While some of that exists, I'm sure for the most part that Ferrari owners are just as passionate about their cars as the the Hot Rod guys or the Jag buffs but we just get an undeserved bad wrap as Ferrari owners. I personally don't feel we have to justify our ownership of a Ferrari. We just love our cars and to each his own passion, no matter it be Ferrari, Jaguar, Ford or John Deere tractor.

10. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I have the same debate about revealing to anyone that you own a Ferrari...

For most of my friends / coworkers they know I'm a car nut and understand it isn't such a stretch (owned a '69 Firebird convertible for 8 yrs, been racing and upgrading an '04 STi for 3 yrs). BUT tonight had first bad experience (live and learn)...out of town on business in the hotel bar with a coworker, girl next to me comments on the SF logo on my cell when I check what time it is. So we talk a bit, I confess that I own one...and some punk overhears and accuses me of trying to pick her up by saying I have a Ferrari! Clearly I wasn't, I'm married and with a coworker! anyway live and learn, no more revealing ownership to anyone I don't know first......

11. Kouki Monster

Kouki Monster Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    Washington
    Full Name:
    AJ
    OMG HAHAH THAT VIDEO LOL.. yea its sooo true I am sorry to be way way off topic. But those people need to realize guy in nice car, maybe in dirtier **** then them... I guess it never crossed their minds, nothin worse then redneckin canadians LOL love it. I laugh cause i had a similar experiance, thankfully i was armed cause that stuff happends and sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. he led them to the dead on purpose, cause if he had to shoot, no one would miss them

But on topic. If i owned a F(any car) It would be suspected where i live, but once i go out with it, old people give me the evil look just for driving a jag. I would drive it at night lol. I wouldnt tell any one except close friends. Maybe roll it to a past place i worked where my boss said i am a worthless peice of shiet.

12. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    I've had my red 360 for a month but only got smiles, waves, thumb ups and compliments, from bikers to old women. All my friends are happy for me and love to ride in it. Anyone who needs to hide their Ferrari should get better friends!

13. Easyrider7467

Easyrider7467 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    I keep it to myself....

14. J Ingram

J Ingram Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Jesse Ingram
    I have owned a number of cars and bikes over the past 12 years and all who know me understand that I am the "car guy" at my workplace. So, I drive my Boxer to work mostly to keep it from sitting and because I genuinly love driving it. I had a nurse make some very sarcastic, malicious comments when one of our surgeons mentioned that I had a Ferrari. She said "Yeah, right! That's probably ALL you have. And you probably live in it too!" Can you believe that? So, in general, I keep the ownership fact to a minimum only discussing it humbly if a person asks.

15. J Ingram

J Ingram Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Jesse Ingram
    I have owned a number of cars and bikes over the past 12 years and all who know me understand that I am the "car guy" at my workplace. So, I drive my Boxer to work mostly to keep it from sitting and because I genuinly love driving it. I had a nurse make some very sarcastic, malicious comments when one of our surgeons mentioned that I had a Ferrari. She said "Yeah, right! That's probably ALL you have. And you probably live in it too!" Can you believe that? So, in general, I keep the ownership fact to a minimum only discussing it humbly if a person asks.

16. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Always nice when idiots cheer while you get a ticket or obnoxiously rev their fartcan 4 bangers at a light while you're trying to talk on the phone!

17. QT3141

QT3141 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2006
    You should tell her calmly and gently that it isn't her butt-ugly excuse for a face keeping her from finding a man - it's her bitter, spiteful, jealous personality. :)

18. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Nobody but, me. Well said!

19. babyruth95746

babyruth95746 Karting

Feb 11, 2007
    granite bay, ca
    Full Name:
    steve r

COULDN'T AGREE MORE!! GREAT POST

20. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    i don't advertise it. my friends know, at least some of them.

i can drive it around and most everybody ignores it. the pf coupe is so subtle i am pretty sure most folks don't have an idea what it is.

i drove it to a cruise in at the local mcdonalds once. not one person came over to look at or said anything. it might have as well been invisible.

tom w

21. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I don't get all the secrecy - and it has nothing to do with flash. There are so many other cars that are worth significantly more than most late model used Ferraris, but no-one hides their BMW 7 series or their Lexus LS460 or their Cadillac XLR-V.

By the logic that is being displayed here, you should wear inexpensive clothing always and eat at cheap restaurants, lest someone see your good clothes and notice you eating great food and thereby think badly of you.

What is the point of working hard to succeed to the point where you can chose to buy a Ferrari or an Armani suit or eat at a world class restaurant?

You guys hiding your Ferraris have obviously got bigger issues in the depths of your Psyche IMVHO.

22. azheman

azheman Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    +1

23. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    i think it is the agricultural nature of the culture in the midwest.

folks think it is good to have money but not good to flaunt it.

one of the richest men in Lafayette used to drive a four year old cutlass.

my uncle who was worth millions drove a chevy malibu.

so maybe the entire midwest has a complex.

tom w

24. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    Good point. Age must be a factor too. Posters here should say where and how old they are. I'm 44 and in N Cal. I think it is unnecessary to be practically embarassed about having a Ferrari like many are here. Why have a Ferrari if it makes you uncomfortable???

25. rllucero

rllucero Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2006
    Santa Fe/San Diego
    Full Name:
    richontravel
    This is an interesting thread. The last 2 Ferraris I kept a "secret", didn't tell anybody at work and only told close friends and of course family. Now, I take my F-car to work(occassionaly) and talk about it like its a car; remember at the end of the day a Ferrari is still just a car. Looking back, I don't know why I kept the first two such a secret, I guess I thought I would never get a pay raise again!

After experiencing both sides of ownership (keeping it a secret and being open), I believe it is best to just enjoy the damn thing and talk ALL you want about it.