Who is using a Sous vide? | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Who is using a Sous vide?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by bounty, Dec 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  2. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I just read something I'm gonna try when I don't do the bacon grease fire....

Mix the rub into mayo for the fat and to hold it in place, coat and sear.

3. FiveLiterEater96

FiveLiterEater96 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Skirt steak, 120 minutes @ 126* and a Malbec pear, 90 minutes @ 156*. Served on fresh made custard with a dash of nutmeg.

Attached Files:

Jaguar36 and darth550 like this.
  4. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Dude, as I sit here enjoying my cup of yogurt for lunch, I think I may have violated the biblical injunction against coveting thy neighbor's grub. Both of those dishes look top shelf...T

Jaguar36 likes this.
  6. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    A friend just gave me about 3 to 4 lbs of nice looking bear meat that has been cubed, vacuum sealed, and labeled "stew meat." Yeah - his son just took down a 355 lb black bear with a crossbow last week. :)

I'm thinking I'm gonna sous vide this (or, at least 1 of the 2 packs he gave me), but curious if anyone has any ideas as far as temp/time goes? Trichinella is a known issue in much bear meat, but even 127 F for a few hours negates that worry. I've seen suggestions anywhere from 124 F for 8 hours to some crazy fool saying to get it up to 170 F for 2 to 3 hours. No DAMN way am I going to ruin it like that.

My first thought? Probably in the 127 to 129 F range, for maybe 6 hours to let the fat render out. Dry, season & let sit for a good part of a day in the fridge, then sear in cast iron to get a nice crust on the outsides & get everything back up to a nice warm temp inside.

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I read somewhere that bear is lean. If so, might be best in braised dishes like chili or stew. Likewise, if it's labeled "stew meat" it may be a tougher cut of meat.

I have no idea why, but I was checking out this recipe the other day. Sounded tasty.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/recipe-black-blue-chili

If it were me, I'd split it up into thirds, and try it a few different ways. Post pics!!

T

8. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Thanks for the ideas, Tom! Think 3 or 4 ways is the best idea to get a feel for it.

Though this is labelled "stew meat," my buddy says it is the favorite of what he has tried so far - basically the best bits & pieces that were trimmed off when making up the steaks & roasts. His came out VERY tender - though he warned me I'd have to drain the grease off a couple times, as though the meat appears very lean, it actually holds quite a bit of fat.

Might take a while to get to it, but I'll make sure to post pics & thoughts when the time comes.

tomc likes this.
  9. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Bought a sans air a few months ago. used it for the first time this weekend. Filet mignon and new york. Eggs the following morning. It's just too easy. Steaks were great 127 for just under 1.5 hours. Still messing around with egg timing, soft boiled is what we went after. turned out well, ***** to peel.

10. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Flipped a coin & went with lamb, versus bear.

Approx 9 hours at 125 degrees, then seared with propane torch. Quite honestly? I didn't even add salt or pepper - simply gorged on it.

Seared it outside, because, well... the damn smoke detectors started going off in the house. LOL
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
  12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  13. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  14. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #264 Streetsurfer, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    I think I am going to do a leg of lamb soon. Have any of you wrapped meat with banana leaf and done it sous vide? I saw Pati Jinich/Pati’s Mexican Table roast her Yucatan style (Yucatican?) and it sounded really good.

Thank you!

15. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Her Thanksgiving turkey, that is. Sorry for the omission.

16. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
  17. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Monoprice is selling their Sous Vide machine for $50. For that price, great Xmas present.

18. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Is anyone regularly using their sous vide for anything beyond steaks? I've had mine for awhile now and while its awesome for steaks, I haven't found it to be that useful for much else.

19. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Chicken, eggs, lamb, burgers, pork.

20. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    This is likely going to be what I make for my Christmas meal. I will omit the pepper, and may use tarragon as well.

21. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Copied from my post in the instant pot thread:

Our instant pot (instant pot ultra) is advertised as being capable of doing sous vide, so I got a chance to try it today with some Tri-tip I got at Costco yesterday.

This morning I put the seasoned tri-tip into a vacuum seal bag, then into the instant pot with water (I clipped the bag to the side to ensure the meat would be submerged). Put the instant pot on the ultra setting, set the temp to 125 degrees, no pressure, and set the timer. I then went off to a conference for work. When I got back, I threw it on the grill for a couple minutes on each side to sear.

Came out really well. Perfectly cooked on the inside (I measured 124 degrees with my thermopen for both the meat and the water in the pot) with a nice crust on the outside from the sear. Family ate the whole thing, no leftovers. Didn’t take a pic, unfortunately.

I might have to try this with a small prime rib next time.

22. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
  23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Jennie got into the Sous Vide thing and got really good at it all the tricks to grill right after etc. I just never could like it, hate purple colored meat and the taste just doesn't compare to a 100% grilled steak. it sucks for red meat! :)

24. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Call me a convert, I was pretty skeptical when I first got mine thinking it was only good for steaks. I've had it for awhile now and use it for pretty much every piece of meat. Made a beef roast the other day that was a pretty cheap cut and turned out fantastically. I use it all the time for drumsticks and pork chops. Made burgers with it last night that were delicious! And of course steaks!

Only thing I don't bother with it for is fish, tried it a few times and it didn't seem any better.

25. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    There is "fish," and there is "fish." Don't know if I'd bother with it for most "fish" available today, unless maybe a 2" slab of something like cod, or I'd surely be inclined to do a thick salmon steak. As to shellfish? I was thrilled by how some lobster with butter & a small bit of herbs turned out sous vide, but my wife said she still prefers a firmer/tougher texture.