Who makes skid plates | FerrariChat

Who makes skid plates

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 10FerrariCATX, Feb 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 10FerrariCATX

10FerrariCATX Karting

Jul 24, 2015
    I have done a couple searches but can't find who makes skid plates. Ricambi doesn't show to have one for 458 although they seem to have one for every other model and they other things pulling up are videos of installs. Any help will be great appreciated!

2. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Dave at Premier Motorsports in LA made and installed mine.

3. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    We have them in stock, $485.00 retail if I remember correctly. A couple hours to install.
    We could install them for you when you come in for some paint correction ( wink )

S

p.s. FCA and Ferrari Chat members get a discount on parts and labor as well!

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
  5. 10FerrariCATX

10FerrariCATX Karting

Jul 24, 2015
    Steve,

Do you have a pic of your skid plates? Do they cover the full length of the front bumper or are they the pucks like Fabspeed offers?

6. justthebest

justthebest Formula Junior

May 14, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Love to know more

7. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    #7 SAFE4NOW, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's a complete skid plate, as seen in the attached photo.

I will try and get pictures of one installed on a car ASAP.

S
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. vroom23

vroom23 Karting

Apr 30, 2014
    #8 vroom23, Feb 18, 2016
  9. boeckman2003

boeckman2003 Karting

Oct 7, 2015
    The only thing about this skid plate is I believe you need to bolt it into your bumper. In order to do that, you have to drill through your bumper.

Isn't there a skid plate that uses the existing bolts underneath?

10. vroom23

vroom23 Karting

Apr 30, 2014
    That is true, but given that it's an OEM plate I decided I was okay with it.

I haven't managed to scrape it yet, but it's certainly given me a lot more confidence while driving (this is a DD).

11. justthebest

May 14, 2014
    Denver, CO
    From what I've seen, I would assume someone could make one using existing hardware locations (?)

Is it actually OEM?

12. boeckman2003

boeckman2003 Karting

Oct 7, 2015
    OEM?? No, it's not. I've talked to my local Ferrari dealerships. Ferrari does not make skid plates, they sell the cars as they are.

Premier Motorsports makes the skid plates and Ferrari dealers and shops pay $230 per skid plate and mark it up to $480 + install. I know, I've talked directly with them.

So, since a skid plate can be made to bolt into the bumper, the same kind of plastic can be used to make a unit that bolts into the existing bolts. It would most likely be one that has been formed since it will have a raised portion in the back and taper down to the front of the bumper.

I'm sure someone has made one...I might look into this.

13. 10FerrariCATX

10FerrariCATX Karting

Jul 24, 2015
    Steve,

I will call you tomorrow to order. Also, thank you for having your detailer call. I need to get my 458 in to y'all for service and have the detail and skid plate installed at same time. I sincerely appreciate your help like always! Anyone in DFW not servicing with your department is missing the best customer service I have ever experienced.

Matt

14. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    That looks like it, thank you for posting!

That is correct and I am not aware of any that use exisiting bolts at this time.

I have been looking.

Thank you sir, it's our pleasure. I am sure we can work out a deal since you are coming in for all 3!

Thank you for your kind words!

See you soon.

S

15. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    While we do not use the Premier Motorsports product, care to share your contact so that we may get that pricing on the skid plates?

You can PM me if you'd prefer.

S

16. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    #16 SAFE4NOW, Feb 19, 2016
    You may notice in the picture below:

The Black arrow shows the leading edge of where a skid plate is installed. Notice, there are no mounting bolts in that area. That's because there is nothing on the other side of the bumper cover to bolt it to. This is why rivits are used, along with fasteners when possible.

The White arrow shows the leading edge of the front underpanel. You will notice multiple mounting bolts in this area.

If you were to create a "bolt in" skid plate, all the fasteners would be at the back edge of the skid plate, with nothing securing it along the leading edge ( of the skid plate )
    what's to keep air from catching the leading edge ( at 150mph+ ) and pulling the skid plate away from the bumper cover, and tearing it off? After the skid plate has impacted something I am thinking that the leading edge of the skid plate would drop some... nothing is holding it in place anyways.

17. boeckman2003

boeckman2003 Karting

Oct 7, 2015
    Good analysis. Given the higher ride height of the 458, I'll prefer to not go with the bolt-in bumper skid plate. If I lived in the city, I would get it, however.

18. 10FerrariCATX

10FerrariCATX Karting

Jul 24, 2015
    Got it today! I can't believe it got here so fast! I gave you cc info yesterday morning and fed ex delivered around 1030 am this morning. Thanks again!

19. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    #19 Randyslovis, Feb 27, 2016
    My dealer makes skid plates with Delrin (basically kevlar). Each is cut to match the car it is going on AND uses the existing holes. In addition to taking stress off bumper by not drilling into it, it also recesses the factory bolts which stick out and are just waiting to be sheared off. Not cheap: @ $1600 installed.
    Best

20. sg1

sg1 Karting

Sep 29, 2012
    Can you show a picture of the front of the installed skid plate rather than the side?

21. Randyslovis

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    I don't have one.
    But, Will be going for a drive later and with my angled driveway (why I have the plates) I will try and get under it to get you a front view. Not sure what you are after. Delrin just continues around in same fashion. Was showing the recessed mounting that is far superior than standard factory with exposed bolts as shown above. Is there something specific that you are trying to see so that I might capture it for you if possible?
    Best

22. Randyslovis

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    #22 Randyslovis, Feb 28, 2016
  23. justthebest

May 14, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Randy, where did you get the derlin skid plate from?

24. Randyslovis

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    My dealer FOA does it in house. They take a sheet of the Kevlar/Delrin and then custom drill it for each car. The uber tech who does it says he would love to prefabricate the plates for every 458 but says there is too much variation from car to car. Obviously, there would be money to be made by doing it for people out of the Atlanta area. Unfortunately he says it really cannot be done.
    Once he does fit it to your car, he can then use a worn out skid plate to more quickly generate a new one. I have yet to wear one out despite scraping it every time I pull into or out of my garage. (Car lowered and driveway pour was an oops by contractor.) Guys who track their cars use it to protect from curb damage. So a shop in your area that sets up cars for the track might be able to help you.
    Best