Who makes the best meat thermometer? | FerrariChat

Who makes the best meat thermometer?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Texas Forever, Dec 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I’m tired of over/under cooking thick meat pieces while getting my hand burned. What say ye?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #2 Streetsurfer, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    I just saw this on a bbg program recently. I will see if I can find that. Actually it referenced a grill/smoke thermometer, if that will help. I assume they make make a meat probe item too.

Well, not sure if they do have a meat probe, but the recommended grill gauge was Tel-Tru Mfg, USA and they are used on Lonestar Grills.

Sure they do, here you go. (This is not from my experience, just what recently came highly recommended)

https://www.teltru.com/s-125-meat-cooking.aspx

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    05011994 and Texas Forever like this.
  4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^I've heard the same about Thermapen. I'm a Luddite though, so I still do the "poke test", because every meat thermometer I have bought, save for a mechanical one, has gone kaput.

Tex...For very thick pieces of meat (1.5"+ steaks, roasts, etc.) I have almost exclusively gone to the reverse sear method to minimize over/under cooking. Low and slow in the oven, easier to track internal temp. Then, finish up with a quick sear on the grill with a wood/charcoal combo fire...T

Dom and Texas Forever like this.
  5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks, gonna cook a tomahawk steak

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Awesome! Great cut of meat, and makes for a great show from the grill to the table.

I did the last two tomahawks reverse sear after failing to fully master Tim Love's "super hot plancha" method.
    They came out perfect w/ reverse sear.
    I finished them on my Weber Ranch Kettle on a cast iron griddle w/ bacon fat.

Don't skimp on the salt, since it's a huge cut of meat. I use pink Himalayan salt - likely not much diff in taste from table salt, but
    something you can brag about to your guests! ;) A couple turns of fresh cracked black pepper before slicing/serving...T

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    It’s gotta be a Thermapen. Don’t waste money on cheaper versions (ask me how I know this).

Texas Forever and Dom like this.
  8. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I have been through a few thermometers and haven't had great luck. I broke the last one. Then I bought one of these and was loving it......until it just mysteriously started turning itself on for no reason and running the batteries dead. Odd. I'm still using it but now I take one battery out when I'm done and put it in backwards. Gonna probably just spring for a Thermopen and be done with it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0793MSG7S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

9. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I like the Thermapen for quality & accuracy, but? I pretty much never use mine.

MUCH prefer a thermometer with a temp safe cord that I can stick in a piece of meat & leave it there (while flipping & moving around inside the oven or grill). I'm not a big fan of jabbing a piece of meat more than once while it is cooking. Don't remember the current couple of thermometers I have that get heavy use, but neither cost more than $20 or $30, and both were purchased at least 4 years ago, so they hold up to use & abuse.

10. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
  11. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    pampered chef works really fast and good