Who Owned a Dino WAY BACK WHEN (Pre-1985-ish) Any Original Owners? | FerrariChat

Who Owned a Dino WAY BACK WHEN (Pre-1985-ish) Any Original Owners?

Discussion in '206/246' started by tx246, Feb 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    If a thread like this exists, I can’t remember, although there are different versions of it that could, but we are now in 2022!

I would love to hear memories and historical perspectives. Part of the reason for this was a shoot off of where the “Resto-Mod” thread went, which has healthy perspectives, but in a confrontation way.

My goal isn’t to field different angles of fighting, but to get perspectives of owners (some who still have their Dino’s and trends they have seen) as opposed to those of us who entered the Dino realm after the 90’s crash.

I am too young to fall into the first category, but reading Ed Niles perspective in the vintage section over the years was always so amazing to me. What an awesome guy who experienced what we all dream about.

I fall into the second category.

I grew up in a Texan agriculture family. Other than my grand father (who fought in WW2 and was part of the Berlin Air Lift) owning a 50’s VW Bug that I learned to drive in and on the streets at age 11, NO ONE in my family ever owned a foreign car.

Around 1990, I saw what was the coolest car I had ever seen. I had no idea what it was. All I knew was that it was blue and curvy and super cool.

It sat out front of an old airplane WW2 surplus building on Wunderlich Rd (far NW Houston suburbs).

I would (at 16, I was legal to drive) drive my sisters to Bannon’s Gymnastics, right at the intersection of Strack Rd and Wunderlich Rd ( this is some more North Houston Nostalgia and anyone who knows the name Simone Biles).

I had no idea what I was looking at but knew I had to own a car like that some day. That started my Dino passion.

Over the years, perspectives have changed. When I happened upon the Dino world, the market had fallen, risen and was about to fall again. I had no idea what they cost or how hard one had to actually work to buy something like that.

In comes the late 1990’s, the market has stabilized much lower and slowly starts to rise again.

The purpose of this thread is to get insight and input from people back in the day that were there. They rode the up/down times, and HELL, might even own a Dino they bought back before the early 80’s.

We have different opinions now, but when I bought my first Dino in 2000, it was still made fun of. A Fiat, a Girl’s Ferrari, etc…..

Times are different now, but I don’t think many realize how recent that is.

Food for thought (and I know I have posted a partial pic before), but here is a Ferrari focused piece from what I believe is 1982. Look at the ads and the focus…..

Even better, look at the marketing to the THEN Dino owner, so they could make their Dino look…… um, I hate to say “Better”, but I think that is what it is.

Shawn

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

LARRYH, Texas Forever, -K1- and 2 others like this.
  2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    G. Blue would have been our oldest (maybe original?) owner in the Section with his 206 in HI.
    I'm not sure he is still living as he was a contemporary of Miki Dora, and was quoted about that...

Certainly a long time owner, who bailed at the "right time" against his age...

3. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    swift53 and ingegnere like this.
  4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Ain’t it sexy!!!!

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  6. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Hi Peter,

this exactly what I wanted

can you post pics, or do you need help?

Shawn

(second link gets messy...... just saying)

7. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    In the link I posted.

Sig www.pless.com.au/mechanics.htm

8. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    LARRYH and ingegnere like this.
  9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Barf!

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I bought mine in 1980. It was a 1970 Euro model. It was a one owner with only 3000 KM on it. It was also complete trashed having sat in the Arizona desert for 8 years. Why I don't know but the story was it was a divorce thing. I'm guessing no AC in Arizona may have had something to do with it not being used much and then no one in Phoenix to work on it in the early 70's. It was originally sold by Ron Tomkin to a doctor in San Francisco is what I was told. How it ended up in Phoenix is was a mystery but I didn't care.

At that time I had a 74 Alfa Romeo Spider. A friend of mine had a small Alfa shop in Phoenix who restored it for me. I went to visit him one day on a trip home for Thanksgiving and I saw the Dino on a trailer. I asked him if it was for sale and he said he thought so. I asked my friend if he wouldn't mind putting it back together to get running and we agreed.

I paid 8 grand in cash for it, which was a lot of money for me and also a non-running Dino GT at the time. I saw them on used car lots for $16-18K in LA. In 1980 the Dino was just another old car and GTS's were more popular than GT's. Most people at the time were hot to trot about the 308 which seemed like light years in advancement from the Dino. The biggest advantage this car had is that it had no rust and was a complete car. All the parts were there. Most of the work needed was electrical and interior and all the rubber parts, then a new coat of red paint. I was pretty naive at the time but it didn't look like that much work to me. :)

Over a year I "restored it" (aka got it running and a new paint job and interior). When finished it spent most of its life in LA and had it another 15 years. It needed a complete restoration before falling even further downhill after 15 years of use and I didn't have the money or time and sold it for what I thought was a pretty good price in the mid 90's.

In the period I owned it I drove it up and down the CA coast 2 or 3 times, over and back to Phoenix to LA a few times, and generally every weekend. For about a year it was my only car. I think it had like 18,000 miles when I sold it. The door panels started to show a few rust bubbles from its years in LA near the coast being parked outside.

It was certainly one of the more interesting cars I've owned. Instead of a 1970's car it seemed more like something from 196o's. Kinda crude, simple, noisy, and smelly but with a lot more character than the 308 (I had 2 of them also). It had a quirky gearbox, an always leaking distributor, seats with no side bolster, a steering wheel position that was perfect for 5ft 7 in me and no one else, and a hot interior even in winter (I never turned on the heater-- no need to!). But it had fly windows which in LA was enough to make it drivable, even in summer.

It also made the most amazing noises of any car I've owned and got the most attention of any car I've owned. And I think Dino Gt's are still one of the most prettiest mass production cars ever made.

LARRYH, -K1-, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  11. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I bought my first Dino 246 GT in 1976, then bought a second GT in 1983. My first and forever Dino is in immaculate condition. The second Dino was rough when purchased, but I had it restored and finally traded it in 2014 toward a 458 spider. When I was a new Dino owner, while all who saw my car raved about it, there was no question that Dinos were the stepchildren of the Ferrari clan. At one local car show in1979 or 1980, the owner of a Daytona spider parked next to me remarked that my car had "half an engine." That kind of talk never bothered me, and we members of the Dino faithful are now enjoying the last laugh. Forza Dino! Fred

LARRYH, DBomb117, -K1- and 3 others like this.
  12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Never got the Dino, as Dad would not have it, but her...:)

Regards, Alberto

13. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn
    I bought mine in 1974- still have her-still drive her. I have many driving stories.

LARRYH, NYC Fred, DBomb117 and 3 others like this.
  14. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Wowie......that's really something!

15. jag312

jag312 Karting

Oct 22, 2015
    Minden, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Edward Peterson
    I bought my 1971, 01458, in May, 1976. I will keep it until the day I die. I'm the second owner. The original owner was Ivan Russino in Rome, Italy.

LARRYH, NYC Fred and 375+ like this.
  16. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    My father Carlo bought 01296 on June 10th 1976. We lived in Rome at the time. I was 12. Still with me .. Never to be sold. Pietro
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Pietro, That looks like Parioli, or nearby?

Great photo!

Regards, Alberto

18. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    Alberto
    Corso Trieste. Near Via Nomentana! Great memories
    Cheers
    Pietro

19. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn
    I know I have shown this photo before- but this is my tiny garage in 1975. I had moved from VA where I was assigned insurance by the state of VA, to Maryland which wanted $4K per year since no insurance would voluntarily insure a 25-year-old single guy. This is why my Dino has no license plate on it.

Yeah, I did drive her often - I would just put my 1974 Carrara (with sugar scoop "ducktail" and 911 "safety" strips down the front hood) plate on it.

It took a bit of time to sort the insurance thing out.

20. xmine

xmine Rookie

Dec 8, 2013
    Alabama
    Neat photo and story. Thanks for sharing it.

21. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I love the old ads!

22. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Pietro!
    How/when did I miss your move to Erie?
    Cheers,
    Coop

23. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    Coop!!
    Yes moved to Colorado oct 2020. We love it here.
    Cheers
    Pietro

24. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I ha
    I haven't owned a 246 (yet) but four Speedsters and an R90S!

MarkT likes this.
  25. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn
    Brothers with different mothers--

My everyday car is my '61 cab which I built 35 years back for autocross with parts I had leftover from restoring 10 356's. A set of Hoosiers on her and she rocks up here in the mountains. Way more fun than my Speedster so when it came time to pare down I sold the Speedster. Bad financial move since I sold her in 2005 before the big run-up in value. She was all an all-original '55 with no rust or dents-- but I own to enjoy, not to make a profit.

-K1- and Jack-the-lad like this.