Who still believes in USF1 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Who still believes in USF1

Discussion in 'F1' started by VIZSLA, Nov 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Will USF1 make the grid as promised?

1. Yes they will

2. No they won't

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #51 tifosi12, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
    Windsor is right that a lot of the rumors come from Switzerland, Benoit to be precise, but that doesn't address the many open questions we have. Things like "where is the car" and "where is it built" and "by whom"? The 17 people in Charlotte sure aren't building anything.

I'm stunned that anybody still thinks USF1 is for real. Who are these folks? I got lots of stuff and ideas to sell to them.

2. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Most of the people on this forum are Americans.

You think we just hate our own country or want to see our own country's F1 effort fail?

If it was just hating on the new guys, what would Manor and Lotus and Campos be free from the same wrath?

USF1 is a sham. Some people just don't like to have someone piss on their head and claim it's just raining. I get irked when I am treated like an idiot - as if I won't know better... as I was treated when Matchett did his "inside look at USF1".

No mechanics area... no area for there even to BE a car. Just some zoomed-in shots of a CNC machine running, some zoomed-out shots showing a room with a few low-end CNC machines that don't even have any tools loaded and are obviously not being used... some color laser printer images scotch taped to the walls... I am then told this is the USA's newest Formula 1 race team.

I find that mildly offensive.

3. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Agreed on all.

Except that I also question Manor. Or has anybody heard anything tangible from them?

Campos is developing a car and Lotus is hiring drivers. At least some tangibles there.

PS: The thing that really pissed me off big time was Matchett's RPM segment and Varsha's comment "now that took care of any doubts". How stupid does Speed TV think its viewers are?

4. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Given the lack of (and the poor quality of) information supplied I'm surprised at the number of people who give them the benefit of the doubt.
    I'm also a bit surprised that the reaction among the disbelievers has been as restrained as it has been.

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Nobody wants to get sued for slander. And FChat's TOS prevent some language.

But I'm happy to tell you what I really think in an email. :)

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I look forward to the unexpurgated version;)
    Still I think that given the usual F-Chat level of discourse the reaction has been more muted than I expected.

7. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Wasn't Manor using a Cosworth engine and having someone else make a chassis for them? I thought they were essentially footing the bill and showing up with a car made by someone else?

I don't think ANY of the 4 new teams will be there for the 2012 season, I will be surprised if 1 of them is there for 2011, and I will be surprised if more than 1 shows up for 2010.

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Oh no!

You got that all wrong.

According to Windsor USF1 is in this for the long haul: 20 years and they will eventually battle for the championship.

<aah> that was a refreshing sip of glykol.

9. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2007
    Mooresville,Nc (Race
    Full Name:
    Bill Long
    Riley Tech and Debotech are side by side in Mooresville.

10. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Bill:
    Glad you joined us (we spoke about a year ago when I was selling my friend's '81 308)

What are your thoughts - being in the industry - on what's going on with USF1?

Thanks.
    Kevin

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Precisely.

I would have less disdain if they were called Windsor F1 or something similar. "USF1" ties too much nationalistic emotion to the success of a very questionable enterprise.

12. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2007
    Mooresville,Nc (Race
    Full Name:
    Bill Long
    Well, i know two guys that left MWR (Michael Waltrip Racing) to got to work there,at a considerable increase in pay. They only thing i've heard negative is when the showed up for work they had no benefits,as in health insurance and one guy has a pregnant wife,basicly they demanded the situation be rectified or no work and it was. There are a lot support industries here in the area,Windshear(rolling wind tunnel) is in Concord,15 miles away and PW is a principal in that.Riley Technology (built Rolex 24 winners last several years) is here in town and next door is Hans Debotech's with several autoclaves in case they may be needed,most of the Nascar teams use him or Crawford Composites Just up the road in Denver,Nc. There are many others, Motec,Pi Research,IS Electronics all these are into data aquistion,datalogging for all the testing equipment used through out Nascar,Grand-Am and ALMS.A lot of people think that Nascar is nothing but a bunch of rednecks running around in circles on Sunday,that's because they've only seen what is on the tv and read what's in print. These people need to spend a week behind the scenes in the shops,at the K-rigs, at the 7 posts and countless hours at the windtunnel, and because they operate 24/7 you may spend all night Sat/Sun there building 1/4 panels,fenders and front valances to find another 20 lbs of downforce or loose a little bit of drag that could help you win on the track,all at $2500 an hour. I've been doing this thing called Nascar racing for 20 plus years and i get so frustrated when i hear people (mostly F1 fans) put Nascar racing down,if you don't like it,turn the channel,i for one love just about all forms of racing,that's because its about the people. The people are what make the sport,i really want to see PW and company make it. Why is everyone so down on the guy? As far as i know he has not yet failed,and for people to critisize him because he won't throw the doors open and let everyone in for a look see is ridiculous,unless you want to be a sponsor and have check book in hand. I have been there several times and at this point, i believe the car will be on the grid if all the parts fall in place.From my limited experience,Windsor and Anderson are both stand up guys,and Bob Varsha is one of the nicest and most knowlegable racing commentators out there.So,come on guys lay off these guys,if we get an American F1 team great, if not,maybe it wasn't to be,the world won't end because of it just like it didn't end when MS quit driving Ferraris. And that's all i got to say about that.
    B.

13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Bill, if someone said they were going to start, from scratch, a Sprint Cup team and have it based in England down the street from all the F1 teams, would you take them seriously?

14. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Bill
    thanks; great info. I feel like I'm in the minority because I won't bash Peter Windsor; what he's trying to do is a major risk. The guy essentially gave up a dream job (at least to me); to folow his dream. I'm an eternal optimist and not as cynical as some others.
    I'd rather let the guy get on with his job than worry about what he said, or didn't say...
    Bash me all you want; but I think they will make the grid. If not, no big deal for me. Ferrari will always be my team anyways...

15. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    In regards to the speed tv segment, I must admit that I haven't seen acting that bad since the movie Waterworld....
    Kevin

16. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

thank you. i think a car will be on the grid. there is a chance i will eat crow but only a small one. btw...the motors will be cosworth and will also be paid for.

good luck usf1.

17. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

you are not alone. the usf1 engineers would sweeping floors or otherwise sitting on their hands doing nothing if you are to believe the f-chat f-1 experts. far from fact.

pcb

18. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    'head in the sand' comes to mind..

19. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    it's not about bashing PW, it's just that lots of us don't like being taken as idiots, fed with circular talk, and garbage spewing from his mouth. of course he is taking on a major endeavor...but that doesn't excuse the BS!!!

20. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    Have you seen their show lineup?

21. ACross32

ACross32 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    Bay Shore, NY, USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Good PW audio interview here:

http://www.formula1blog.com/2009/11/09/f1b-downshift-6-exclusive-usf1s-peter-windsor/

At this point and with what Windsor is saying, he wouldn't be trying THIS hard to assure us he's on the grid if he was not going to be. He basically 'set the record straight' on all of this German/British BS "press" nonsense that's been going on.

Do I believe him? I'm about 95% sure USF1 will be on the grid in 2010.

22. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I have already posted that I hope USF1 is on the grid. I have also posted that I gave PW credit for having the courage to proclaim his goal to the world--if he fails, he fails in a big way. That takes a lot of "stuff."

But Crazyhorse has added nothing to the reality of the empty sign, empty lobby, and quiet machine shop found at 9900 Twin Lakes. I never disputed that there were cars in the parking lot, and salaries being paid.

But, Bernie Madoff paid salaries and had health benefits for wives of pregnant executives.

Let's focus on facts . . . PW has shown no carbon fibre tubs--no front wings, no rear wings, no sponsors, no drivers, he has not even declared if he is using Brembo or Carbon Industries. Couldn't he at least pick a brake supplier?

If he is to be on the grid, he needs a good, professional business manager to act as the 'business' face of USF1.

23. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Drive550;
    agreed on all points. Good post
    hopefully we will see something tangible soon
    Kevin

24. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    +1. And the way Windsor is going about this, he only sets himself up for failure in a grander way than necessary if, as it appears, there is deception behind his approach. I have great admiration for the risk-takers of this world as well. There is no shame whatsoever in failing at something as ambitious as starting a ground-up Formula 1 team, provided you're on the up and up all along. Again, many elements of USF1 and Windsor's claims don't pass the smell test in the court of public opinion. And while none of us are F1 insiders, many of us know enough about the sport, business and common sense to have a good feel about what's legit and what seems implausible.

CrazyHorse--I think anyone with a true appreciation of racing understands the volume of technology involved in modern NASCAR racing. But the sport will always be on the receiving end of stereotypical comments, just as F1 will always take jabs as the 'wine and cheese' crowd. It's a stereotype that will be hard for NASCAR to shake--ignore it.

25. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #75 brian.s, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
    http://www.formula1blog.com/2009/11/09/f1b-downshift-6-exclusive-usf1s-peter-windsor/

The latest PW interview.

Sorry didn't see previous post!

Still a few PeeWee contradictory quotes and not convincing about their "strategy". love the bit about how many guys can't wait to move to the US. So where are the 'American' staff, be interesting to see how many ARE actually by the start of the season.

I still believe that there is an existing agreement with Fox/Speed to bring out a 'reality' intro pre season.

Interesting that the interview starts with stating PW 'at home in Germany'.