Who wears driving shoes and what brand do you prefer? | FerrariChat

Who wears driving shoes and what brand do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Mechanical Dad, Dec 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    To start things off, I wear a size 14 or 15 shoe depending on brand, so does anyone make them in those sizes? I have not done much research yet and wanted to get some direction on where to look and what to look for before i waste a lot of time. As you can imagine, the pedal box on the mondial doesn't play nice with big feet. Thanks in advance!

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I wear sparco size 11; help for heel toe! Good shoes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timwu12 likes this.
  3. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Impressive.. a couple of sizes more, and you could walk on water, skip the ski rentals, and compete with "best character" at Disney world. Sorry, could not help myself, but I am 6'4" (196 cm), shoe size of 12 (45 in europe), and on the 488 I have to twist my right foot to the right on gas pedal, when driving with shoes..

So, may the force/toes be with you :)

Bundy, Dave rocks and Mechanical Dad like this.
  4. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I wear Vibram Five Fingers because of their small footprint. Yeah, I said that. I can effectively wrap (or center) the brake and clutch pedal with my large and small toe on my Abarth and know I have good placement, and they do not interfere with the neighboring pedal as do work boots or other regular soled shoes. Their thinner soles help in the tactile dept. They might be an option for you.

5. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I wear Pirelli “Rex” model shoes. Absolutely love them.

6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    If you weren't married, I'd lobby that you print T-shirts "I wear a size 15 shoe" that would be great to pickup girls :D :)

7. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'm 6'2" but have dainty size 11/Euro 44 feet. And I couldn't drive my 456M at all with regular shoes on because the pedals were so close together. I have three different pairs of Pumas, which are just fine. The 308 and 360 have pedals far enough apart, and the 456M was an automatic! The 360 is set up perfectly for modern heel/toe downshifts, and the Pumas are nice and narrow.

8. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  9. speedcat

speedcat Karting

Jul 26, 2011
    AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    +1 on that. I have some Puma Speed Cats that fit like suede slippers. Those and many Drift Cats have minimal soles, but the sizes might max out at 14. Some are also available branded with the Cavallino, if you like.

G. Pepper likes this.
  10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I have 2 pair of these, one exclusively for driving the F-car. I like them!
    T

G. Pepper likes this.
  11. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Piloti Prototipo. Had 'em for years; like an old friend.

12. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Hahaha shes a happy lady!!!!

Sent from my GT-P5210 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vans.

Also great for drumming.

14. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Piloti’s for me too, various models, I’ve always found them comfortable but a snug fit, makes control feel absolute for me

15. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    I like wearing Tods for driving my F12. Have lots of pairs and they are super comfy.

16. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll start looking and hopefully find a pair to get myself for Christmas

G. Pepper likes this.
  17. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    My feet are size 11.5 , I had Piloti Monaco before , but now wear Adidas Porsche Design Drive Pilot 1 and Puma Ferrari Drift Cat . Puma a little narrow for my feet , but can’t help it, I wear it when I drive my F car .

18. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    The Pumas are tight aren’t they, they cut them mean, had a few pairs and never wear them more than a few times before I have to retire em, just too narrow for my fat feet!

19. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Depends. Some are thinner,softer and narrow cut which I prefer. Lots of feel. Awful to walk in so you carry a pair of sneaks to change into. I prefer alpine star or Simpson. Threw out a pair of piloti due to lack of feel,width and the enhancement of my own clumsiness. Then again some people drive in cowboy boots while I can barely walk in them without tripping.

bberg009 likes this.
  20. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I've never gone for traditional "driving shoes", because I never liked the blocky soles.
    I hate driving with thick soles and no pedal feel.

I've been using Florsheim Como leather sole mocs for driving.
    I've taken to wearing Minnetonka mocs at home, with hardwood floors, but even the double soles are a smidge too soft for driving.
    The Florsheim soles are harder than traditional mocs, but soft enough to sense the pedals.
    But they don't tolerate water well, and I wear them out in the two contact patches for heel/toe.

Even in MA winters, when I'd wear Redwing boots at work, I'd keep the Florsheims in the car to drive with, as the soles were too thick on the boots.
    (But those shoes get *cold*, sitting in the car all day. ;))

21. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have 5 pairs of Pumas. With my Lotus there is not much room around the peddles and the driving shoes are a great help.

22. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Size 13 for me. I have Ferrari brand Pumas. These are good looking and very comfortable, narrow with a thin sole. Perfect for driving my 550. But it's not always convenient to wear them.

When I wear sandals on a hot day, I wind up driving barefooted.

23. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This reminds me of this one stuck up ferrari driver I met on a flight to Dallas from Philly. While waiting in line to get off the plane I complimented the guy in front of me on his awesome driving shoes and asked him if he was into cars. He replied "Yea, Ferrari" and immediately turned his back to me.

24. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    When I picked up my 456M, I had to drive it home in my socks. :)

Nuvolari likes this.
  25. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Have had Piloti Prototipis for years and love them. For me they are comfortable enough to wear all the time, but I usually reserve them for driving.

I also have a pair of Sparco Slalom for the track, which have been great, but I recently added a pair of OMP One Evo. What a difference, especially the soft, slight cut away section above the heel. They're not cheap, but worth it!

G. Pepper likes this.