whoa, there! queen mother auction prices | Page 2 | FerrariChat

whoa, there! queen mother auction prices

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Bryanp, Aug 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Good if you're a buyer.....

Still, I'm happy that the depreciation on my car over the past 6 1/2 years has been approximately zero.

John

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    True. I'm pretty sure that I could get a few bucks more for the car than I paid for it almost 8 years ago.

And to think that the two of us have been chatting about these cars for about 8 years now too...

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thanks, Don, for adding the information on 11507, and bringing this post back up.

It's a good time to be a 2+2 owner!

4. TLKIZER660

TLKIZER660 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    I just noticed this thread. You people must be young. I remember in the late 1980's when FML had a good Queen Mother listed at around $160,000. That was before the Japanese economy went bust and they all bailed out of the vintage Ferrari speculation market. I was thinking of selling mine this spring but now maybe I'll wait a bit to see what happens to the prices.

5. jcwconsult

jcwconsult Karting

Sep 20, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Full Name:
    Jim Walker
    As the prices for Lussos, 275s, 330/365 GTCs, etc. move toward the unaffordable level, then the prices for 250 GTEs, 330 Americas, 330 GT 2+2's, and 365 GT 2+2s rise as well. The irony, of course, is that the 2+2s are every bit as good for realistic touring in the USA as the sportier 2 seaters.

Yes, a Lusso will lap a track faster than a 365 GT 2+2. But, if you want to take a 500 mile drive with your (non-car-nut) spouse and luggage on a 90 degree day in the summer headed for a fine B&B and an opera the next day, which would you pick?

Regards,

Jim Walker
    365 GT 2+2 #12451

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    If you want to show the car or only use it for 30 minutes on the weekend, get a 2 seater.

If you want to actually use the car, get a 2+2.

I'm convinced that 2+2's are the better Ferraris. And I did put my money where my mouth is...

7. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    The increase in the 60-70s cars is totally expected and unsurprising, and we are seeing the beginning of a more generalized surge. First, these were the cars looked up to by the generations that now have the buying power to realize their young dreams. I remember in 70s wanting a 365GTC/4 in high school (see, I was weird) and I'm looking pretty hard at that or an earlier carb'd boxer.
    Secondly, and perhaps more contentious, is that all modern cars, including Ferraris, are so rocket fast, capable and efficient, but just not as emotive. A 365 GT 2+2 has way more personality, smiles per mile and sheer class than any of the most recent modern Ferraris, imho. Sure they go fast. It's more than numbers, though.
    Many people in this section would rather drive a 250 GT SWB than a new 430 - the answer to this new trend conceptually lies in why. I would buy a Daytona in a heartbeat over a 550 - which would you? For many, there's the key to the answer.
    best to all

8. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    With all due respect, isn't it the "Queen Mary" in reference to the substantial length of the car/ship, rather than "Queen Mother"??? That Queen Mum nomeclature conjures up something entirely different.

Cheers
    Kevin

9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    This is what I had always heard as well.
    Although, Bryan just refers to his as 'the Queen' which I am afraid to ask him about.
    :)

10. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

thanks for adding some clarification.... i have seen this term a few times and have been clueless as to why it used.

11. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips

Hi Jim. I hope you are enjoying your car. Don't bet on a Lusso beating a 365GT2+2 around a track.

12. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I've seen both "Mother" and "Mary" used - I think the confusion may arise from the fact that, although "Mary" makes more sense for the reason Kevallino stated, the title of the November 1969 R&T article introducing the car to american car people called it "The Queen Mother of Ferraris." FYI, Bluemel calls it "Queen Mary."

In an interesting twist, there is some early factory literature on the 365GT2+2 that calls it the "Altair."

13. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good

That debate has bugged me for a long time. I thought it HAD to be "Mary" as the R & T story referred to the car's size and luxury, much like how someone would describe the ocean liner-turned tourist attraction in Long Beach, California. So, I pulled out my copy of Road & Track, November 1969, and on page 39, the story is sub-captioned "The Queen Mother of Ferraris." I think the writer goofed, mixing Mary with Mother and unfortunately the nickname stuck as I can't think of any attributes that the now-deceased Queen Mother shared with a Ferrari!

KevFla

14. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Hi, Kevin,

Nope -- Queen Mother. Jon Thompson wrote the line, and was probably thinking of the Queen Mum: stately, dowager, a bit old-fashioned in style, but definitely related to the sportin' types in the family.

O.G.

15. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    I've always known it referred to as the Queen Mother.
    As far as old prices, I still have an appraisal done on my car for the insurance company dated 7/89 for $171,250. That's for a '69 365 GT #12751. My dad said sell it, but I never listened to him.

16. jcwconsult

jcwconsult Karting

Sep 20, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Full Name:
    Jim Walker
    I still don't have my car from the shop #@%*&!~, but should get it this weekend. We found more $*(+@#!$ problems missed on the PPI - like a tooth that fell out of the diff as the oil was being changed.

I helped my wife prepare a presentation for her intensive Italian class about Ferraris - with the theme that the 2+2's supported the company. I counted up the street and street/racing body styles introduced from about 1957-1967.

# made models counted
    2,904 2+2 models: 250 GTE, 330 America, 330 GT 2+2, 365 GT 2+2
    1,210 Berlinettas: 250 GT SWB & Lusso, 275 GTB & GTB/4
    1,202 Coupes: 250 GT PF, 400 Superamerica, 500 Superfast, 330&365 GTC
    648 Soft tops: 250 GT PF & Calif & GTF PF & Calif SWB, 275 GTS, 330 GTS, **************************365 Calif.
    159 GT Competition, 250 GT Calif LWB & Inter Berl. & SWB Berl & Calif SWB **************************& GTO, 275 GTB Comp & GTB/C

The 2+2 accounted for nearly as many cars as all other types combined.

Regards,

Jim Walker

17. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Yeah, but could the dear old lady run the quarter mile in 14.7??

Best regards,

KevFla

18. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    #43 JonBrent, Apr 13, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Life is good, although I suspect I won't be able to afford even a Shaugnessy 330 GTC when the time comes! oh well, need to finish the 1st project first.

Ok, I can't resist posting this:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Learn sumpin' new every day - thanks. Queen Mum did have a bit of P&V in her at that.

Cheers
    Kevin

20. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    I just can't help but think the author of the story was mixing metaphors:

"Sedan? Well it's big enough to be one - nearly as long as a Chevelle hardtop coupe. Full power and air? Yes - plus power steering, the usual power brakes, electric windows and ventwings and air conditioning!"

"It's not the first large Ferrari - there have been the 500 Superfast and the more recent 365 California, an overlarge 2-seater convertible - but is the largest of the current ones."

The author is discussing luxury and size here. O.G., I don't doubt you...you've been around these cars far longer than most of us and I highly respect your insights. But if you look at the table of contents for that issue of R & T, it reads," Ferrari 365GT 2+2 - the biggest, most luxurious Ferrari ever built"

To me, that suggest something else synonimous with high-end modes of transportation...the Queen Mary ocean liner rather than the mother of the queen of England? Maybe the phrase, "The Queen Mother of (blank)..." was a popular expression at one time.

KevFla...letting this debate rest for now.

PS...You mentioned Jonathan Thompson. Is he now with Automobile Quarterly?